Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ament1970

A wonderful gift from SoCal

Ament
12 years ago

Hello All!

First time posting in Plumaria's. Just acquired one not too long ago as a wonderful gift. I absolutely *love* these. First introduced to them while in Hawai'i, on the island of Oahu.

An Aunt in SoCal (Southern California) gifted me with one of her 3. Her other 2 were quite large but rather pot ratty looking if you know what I mean. This Plumaria gifted to me is a bit crooked, a bit banged up looking but such a heavenly scent I would sooner no longer grow anything than give up the chance at a plumaria in my home!

Anyway, the gift came without a name. So I was hoping someone here might know what this heavenly scented beauty is. :)

{{gwi:338713}}

Thanks for looking!

~Tina

Comments (10)

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My bad Plumeria, I really must go get some rest before trying to unload the truck, wash the dog, do his nails, upload photos and then post and proceed to read further posts. LoL

I'm off to curl up and sleep for hrs. :)

~Tina

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, so I guess No one can help, I'll go search the web for images and hope I can find it. Glad I could find more helpful information in Hoya forums than here. Yeesh! :(

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Hi Ament, (Tina...)

We here on the forum do welcome you!!!

It does take some time to answer questions...
    I know that the people here on this forum are very helpful and very friendly...

So, im sorry if you feel like noone wanted to post to your thread.

Im sure they will and i wanted to say...WELCOME to the forum and please let others respond to you!

Growing Plumeria requires some patience... you will have some responses in time. Just give others a chance to read your post.

The Bloom you have posted is quite lovely!! What is the scent?

Most of the time it is hard to identify a tru named variety when it is given as a cutting without knowing the true parent name. That is why you will see the name.."NOID" meaning no identfication. WHen you do recieve a cutting from a named variety you can call it that.

I hope you stick around and give others a chance to post and help you.

Thanks for the great pic and im so glad you love Plumeria!!!

We all do love them here as well!!!

Take care and i hope this helps some...

Laura in VB

• labland
    12 years ago

Tina,

I second what Laura posted. Welcome to the forum! It is often difficult to identify a plumeria there are so many hundreds(?) of colors, not all have a name. Wth my fmily living in Hawaii and having many plumerias growing itheir yards, other than identifying Singapore Whites (evergreen, p. Obtusa) most people their don't knw the name of their variety, they just call it. Pink, red, white or yellow! Of course, when you have them growing everywhere, you don't worry too much about names.

Talking to Thomas about this yesterday... I want to enjoy them for what they look like. I am not too worried about the name (although it is nice to know which one you have). But then again, I have bought some named ones, to find out it isn't what it was supposed to be either!

We love our plumerias! Enjoy then, and welcome to the forum, there is a lot of good info out there, and a lot of great pictures as well! Jennifer in So. Ca. (vs. Jen in Texas). :-)

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Tina!
    There are lots and lots of white plumerias out there, and the fact that so many of them are white with a yellow center, and not being able to smell them via the internet, makes it very difficult to identify (except for maybe a few more well-known/recognizable ones like the Samoan Fluff, white Singapore Obtusa). Plus, not all plumerias are named varieties. Myself I haven't seen any white like yours where the yellow "streaks" into the white, but it's a very unusual and pretty effect. You're so lucky to have been given it. Enjoy!

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry Everyone! I got impatient and that's my bad. Too used to all the other forums here I suppose. :D As for the smell of this one. Well, to me, it smells jasmine like but my daughter said to her it smelled like citrus. LoL

I lived in Hawai'i for almost 4 yrs and fell absolutely in love with the smell of plumeria out there. Especially in the evenings. I miss that the most! :/ Of everything out there, that has stuck with me for 15 yrs. The night smell of Plumeria! For those who have the pleasure of this, there is nothing better and those who do not get that pleasure, they are missing something in their lives! :)

I have to tell you all, the very first night home, with this plumie in my living room was heavenly. I cannot even begin to describe how it felt, having that scent in my home. I know those of you who have this most wonderful of blooms know exactly what I mean. Nothing else compares I think. So when my aunt by marriage gifted me this, I nearly cried I was so happy. :)

~Tina

• tdogdad
    12 years ago

Tina- I can relate. In the eighties I used to spend summers with my friend windsurfing and surfing in the islands. His wife would put a lei ring of fresh plumeria flowers by my bed and I would smell it all night. It made me a plumeraholic. Now my house in Costa Mesa is surrounded with these, gardenias and tuberroses so evenings are scent-tacular. As for your question, you really cannot id a plumeria by picture because there are so many the look similar especially whites. E-mail me and I can send you some stuff to help. Bill

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Sorry for the late reply, Tina, but most of us probably weren't sure how to answer your question. It's very hard to i.d. them, as Bill said.

Below is a link for the PSA's white variety list. This is only a list of those with names, not nearly every white that's out there. Yours may look like such-and-such but you can't really know for sure by a photo. Whatever it is, the scent sounds fantastic and I'm glad it's giving you so much joy.

Jen

Here is a link that might be useful: Whites gallery

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Bill, email sent. :)

Thank you Jen, Love the link! Whew! LoL

Off to go oogle the lovelies! :D

~Tina

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Tina,

See! I new you would be most welcomed and find wonderful people ready to help you!!!

Makes my day to come in from work and see all of the responses for you!!!

You will be in good hands here!!

I love the scent of the Plumies and fell in love with them when I visited Hawaii as well!

You were very fortunate to live in Hawaii for some time. We have a few members that lived there and some of us wish that we lived there now!!!

Again, welcome to the forum and i hope you enjoy all of the information here and you will have lots of help with your Plumeria!!!

Take care everyone!!!

Laura in VB

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH