Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ragelsaurus

Does my plumeria look okay?

Ragelsaurus
11 years ago

I bought this plant ~2.5 weeks ago and it's early September now and no flowering. I'm in Ventura county in CA. The plant sits in my window (it gets hit by the sun all day, every day) and the room stays relatively hot. Mid 80's or so. I water it about once a week as I've read from other posts so it doesn't get root rot.

Am I being impatient? Will it flower! GAH! Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Comments (7)

• Ragelsaurus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the other picture I have.

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

Ideal temp and sunshine. It's getting late in the season, so it probably won't produce flowers this year, but it looks like you're all set for next year.

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

JP's advice is perfect. I would only add that--and I think that most on here would agree--plumeria do best when they're outside during the growing season. They love rainwater and good air circulation.

I remember some time ago on this forum, a fellow from Seattle posted photos of the flowers his plumeria had just produced. He was tickled and proud--justifiably so LOL But at any rate, it looked like he kept his tree inside. So it can be done. Others on here say that Dwarf Singapore Pink makes a good houseplant as well.

That said, you live in sunny southern Cal, not Seattle, so if you have an outdoor space where it will get full sun and get rained on every now and then, you may find that it will be happier and thus more likely to flower.

Just remember, though, that if you do decide to place it outdoors, you'll want to protect it from cold temps. Don't know how chilly it gets in your area, the official number is 40 degrees, but especially if it is something other than white or yellow I'd play it on the conservative side.

Good luck!

Greg

• Ragelsaurus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both! Much appreciated.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

I bought some plants at Armstrong's in June, 2 had no inflos, just like yours. The 2 look just like yours even today, no inflos, so I'm hoping for next spring. From what I've read, cuttings that are that size that have inflos , already had the inflo ready to go on the parent plant when they were cut. The 8 others of that size I got had inflos already blooming when I bought them.

Since you're in Ventura, putting it outside in full sun is the best bet, ideally with a south or west facing view of the sun.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Agreed. That baby needs to be outside. Full sun behind a window won't be enough to get it to bloom. But if you put outdoors, give it dappled sun for a few weeks and then gradually move to more sun, otherwise it will sunburn and you'll lose all your leaves.

• uglyhair
    11 years ago

Ragel, i'm in Ventura and have a bunch of plumeria. Hit me up if you are looking for blooming stuff.

Cheers, Mike