Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

Pro-tekt turning my leaves yellow??

No-Clue
11 years ago

Due to my recent sun burning problem from too much afternoon sun and extreme heat bouncing off the patio walls... some of my plumeria leaves have suffered severe burn. As a result I purchased Pro-tekt to see if I can give my plants a little protection.

I added 1/2 tsp per each gallon of water and gave that solution to all my plants. Then overnight some of the leaves that were green and healthy the day before turned completely yellow! Still I just figured it was a coincidence so I tried not to stress out too much. All the yellow leaves fell off within a day or two and all returned back to normal.

Then on Friday am (6 days after the first dose) before leaving for SD I gave all my plants another drink of Pro-tekt. When I returned Saturday evening I was shocked to see the exact same thing happening again!! I'm at a loss. I thought Pro-tekt was supposed to help my plants cope w/ the excess sun/heat better? But now I'm scared to use it again.

In the past I have used Epsom salt (3 times total) and each time I noticed a huge improvement on the foliage. Also, when my leaves do turned yellow they do so at a much slower rate. Starting in one area and then slowly over time turning more yellow. But this is different... the WHOLE leave turned completely yellow w/in 24 hours!

Anyway, I'm not sure if something is strange with CA water or soil or what... but it's alarming to see. Additionally, these yellow leaves look different from the leaves that have been scorched by the afternoon sun. So I can't help but think something is amiss w/ Pro-tekt and my plants. But until I get some answers I will not be using Pro-tekt again any time soon. Just my rotten luck! :(

Comments (12)

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

pick them off, relax and stop mother henning. In fall, the leaves will yellow at the bottom leaves and be rejected to allow the top leaves to finish growing. I have been picking handfulls of yellow leaves over the last few days. It just means the pretty time is coming to an end and the naked branch time is coming soon. You will need to find a new hobby from December to March.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are some photos for you to see. Let me know your thoughts.

{{gwi:1203811}}
    Thumbalina with sun scorched leaves

{{gwi:1203813}}
    Thumbalina suffered the worse sun burn but despite of this she's still producing beautiful flowers from two out of her 3 branches. And she's pushing out new green leaves every week. I hope that means she has not suffered permanent damage?

Now compare that to the strange phenomenon when I used Pro-tekt.

{{gwi:1203816}}
    The whole leave just turned yellow literally overnight. As you can see the rest of the plants are very healthy and green.

{{gwi:1203818}}
    This is a huge concern for me because my J105 always has the healthiest and thick green foliage. I never had one single leave turning yellow in the 3 months I had her. Then overnight I got FOUR yellow leaves! This happened both times using Pro-tekt so I know something is going on here... I just don't know what.

{{gwi:1203820}}
    This just seems so random. It's not always the bottom leaves that turned yellow either. So I have no clue what is happening.

Anyone has any theories as to what is happening here? Thanks!

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bill,

Are you saying this is a normal process at this time of the year? If so why do the my plants seem to do fine when I did NOT add Pro-tekt? We still have low 90s temps here and more to come next week so I don't think we're near the end of the season yet.

I admit I do get freaked out easily... but it IS alarming to see that many leaves turning yellow overnight on plants that were perfectly green the day before! To me that doesn't make sense. If it was turning gradually or just the bottom ones I can sort of understand. But random yellow leaves turning yellow seems odd to me. But then again what do I know. LOL

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Just my 2 cents here, but perhaps you can try a 1/4 tsp instead of a half. And try it on just one plant. Like Bill says, we are heading into fall so it's about time for leaves to turn yellow and fall off. Also, are you foliar feeding or putting it into the soil?

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    11 years ago

NC,

I am hardly an expert, but I've sometimes noticed that when I fertilize my plants (especially the first time), the bottom ring of leaves turn yellow and fall off. Honestly, I think it's just the plant putting more energy into the new leaves, so I don't see it as a bad thing. Your yellow leaves look like "normal" yellow leaves to me. Your plant may just be getting some relief from the sun (with the protekt), and so it can put more of its energy into growing.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Lynn,

I just came inside from picking up all sorts of yellow leaves..

Don't worry, it is normal...

Mine just started to turn in the last week or so too!

It will be a daily routine until i bring them in for the winter.

Take Care,

Laura

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I found a source here in San Antonio where I can purchase pro teckt and foliage pro. I am going tomorrow to get it. It sounds too good to be true, he said they were $40 a gallon each. My blooming season starts the end of September, so this will give my plants a boost, before they really start blooming. I did get some pictures this weekend, but Gary said we have to download a program into the computer before I can download them, so be patient. I got a picture of Honey Queen, Gold Coast Cotton Candy, Celebration, Makaha Sunn( just starting to open)Lani Beauty(just starting to open) and Kaneaka Sunset. A single bloom of Dean Conklin. Next week I should have more blooming.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

First, the aqueous silicon in Pro-TeKt is not mobile in the plant, so has to be in the nutrient stream of plants at the time cells are formed or it has no value. You should read that as, "It will not strengthen cells already in existence when you started using it." It's like eating right or exercise - you need to be dedicated to it and do it often enough for it to work ..... and patience is mandatory because as noted, fretting ain't gonna help a bit.

Judging by the location of the yellowing leaves, I'd agree with others, that it's natural senescence that caused the leaf loss, but, if you moved your plants from a very bright spot to a spot where they are receiving a significantly reduced photo load, it may also be the result of the reduction in light. If you're interested in how that mechanism works I'll explain it, but if it doesn't apply in your case I'll save it for next time.

Al

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Haven`t ya`ll had some cooler nights also? I think it`s just winter coming on.

Tally HO!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to say tht we all will be seeing the yellowing of leves and the continuation of leaf loss..

Yes, mother nature knows when she that time is near...

Lynn, If i may? Please be careful when watering your leaves mornning and night.. You dont want to encourage rust. IMO, it may cause more problems...

Your trees look fine.. The leaf burn was caused by the sun and the heat from the brick.. You know what you did and you have learned, so to with the leaf loss.. We have all learned from what we have done when we try our best.. : )

Dont worry... it will be fine!!

Wait unitl u see what some of us do when we prepare our trees for winter storage.. You will not believe it.

You will not have to go to the extremes that some of us do, but some of my trees have to be stripped of leaves to put them in a back room for the winter.. I call it giving them a "haircut" It is always best to let the leaves fall off naturally, i do this with half of my trees.

I agree with Al about the Pro TeKt, it is not going to hurt your leaves that fast. Think of it as a vitamin and it helps keep the roots healthy and then that helps the overall health of the tree. It wouldnt cause the problems you are having. Just use it as a treatment to give a good overall lift to your trees. They will thank you for continuing to give them the needed essential treatment for good healthy trees and roots. The overall starting point of a healthy tree.. "roots" : )

My nights have been cooler, and im sure that has caused the yellowing of my trees....

Again..Mother nature at her best!!!

Take care,

Laura

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I agree, your yellow leaves look totally normal, it was just a coincidence. Like the others I too have been picking up some yellow leaves, even off some of my seedlings! When the yellows are the bottom of the stalk, it's usually just a natural cycle. If they were at your new leaf growth it might be different but honestly, you're good!

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the reassurance! I'm a mom so worrying goes hand in hand. :)

Thanks Laura for that reminder... I will not spray my foliage any longer. :)

As for our night time temps... it's still pretty hot here. Staying in the mid-70s. I am ready for some relief... and I'm sure my plumerias are too. It's frustrating that I have no way to protect them from the walls. I hope all the sun burn won't damage them permanently!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?