Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Looking for some help from CA plumeria growers.

Andrew Scott
11 years ago

A while back, I saw pictures of a plumeria that was called "Broomstick" plumeria. From what I remember, it's really not a named cultivar, but all I can say is it's gorgeous! The only problem is that just like Psycho, you cannot order it from a nursery, well, not any nursery that I have found.

Right now, I have quite a few cuttings that I am still trying to root. Here is my list of cuttings that I have recently purchased.

1. Slaughter Pink

2. Confetti/Barbados Showgirl

3. Psycho

4. JJ Tiger

5. JJ Noid(the flower is awesome. Pagoda shaped, flower color is a neon green/yellow.

6. Sanmirie

7. Noid that I got as a bonus cutting.

Most of these I have water rooting, and so far 3 have numbs on them after being in water for 2 weeks. Confetti, Sanmirie are both potted over raw egg right now.

I still have an Heirloom to grab up this year and that will be it. Fall is sadly upon us and we all know what that means. Plumerias will all be preparing themselves to go dormant. It will be time for me to stock up on FE and ferts for my citrus and other tropical fruit trees, along with all the other tropicals I have. Brugs will all have to be dug up, roots pruned, and prepared for there winter slumber.

With all this stuff going on, I really don't need to be adding another plumeria to my collection but I still am hoping to find Broom stick next year.

Andrew

Comments (34)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Andrew - I have never heard of Broomstick so I am unable to help you. Can you describe it? Where did you purchase your Psycho? I would love to add that one to my collection!

It's a lot of work digging everything up and prepping for winter but isn't it so much fun getting everything out come spring and watching it all come back to life?
    I am sort of looking forward to winter and then on to spring for that very reason. And I think I can expect a little more from my plumies next year.

Spring is so exciting! :)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

And I meant to add that I hope you are feeling better today, Andrew.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Andrew, I found something called a Broomstick Rainbow on the PLUMERIA SOCIETY OF AMERICA sale list. The link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: PSA list with Broomstick listed

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

I have read on the net somewhere that Bud found this plumeria at a house and asked for a cutting.
    I'll have to find the article.
    Lonnie

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi ANdrew,

Hope you are felling better!!!

If i come across one, i will let you know..

I would love to see your list that you have now.. LMAO!!

Say hello to J.

Ill let you know what happens in a few days.. : )

Im so excited..

Laura

• DelWH
    11 years ago

I found a photobucket album with pics of a Broomstick. Nice looking. Perhaps you can try to contact the owner of the album to see where he got them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Broomstick pictures

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Emerson Willis wrote the story in Ploumeria Potpourri (July 2012) and he was selling plants in the PSA Fort Bend sale.
    tc,
    George

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Emerson Willis sells online, and will mail out single tip plants. I think you can find him under " Nan and the Plumeria Man'. Barbra

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I`m going to Emersons next month or maybe on the 14th, I`ll look for you.
    Tally HO!

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys,
    Hi Moonie, I have a cutting of Pyscho rooting right now, it's yours if you want it. I was going to try to sell it but it's yours!

Thanks everyone for your help and well wishes. I am feeling a little better today, but my knees have been so achy today! That's from an old comp injury years ago. Usually I will have a few weeks of bad aches and pains in my knees and then it subsides. It seems to be a seasonal thing with me. Almost like my body is telling me when seasons are changing.

Hi Laura,
    I am so excited for you and K! I can only imagine how excited you all are! I am so happy your son in law made it home in time. Please keep mr posted. You know I will be anticipating your phone call! So strange how we have never met, yet I feel like were all family. That goes with so many of this forum's members. This is such a great group of people!

Take care everyone!
    Andrew

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Andrew - you're right... this -is- a great group of people!

I'm so glad you are feeling somewhat better. HOpefully your knees will not be aching so much tomorrow. Mine ache too but it's more from squatting so much at work, not to mention walking on the uneven ground. And the ole hips, from dragging and pulling hoses.

I just looked at Del's broomstick link and it's gorgeous! I can see why you are in search!

It's so nice of you to offer me your Pyscho. I would love to have it! How much were you going to try and sell it for? I would be more than glad to pay your for it.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Thanks C-I, knew I had read the story somewhere. LOL
    Lonnie

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Andrew, if Emerson has one do you want me to get it for you? I can pick one up in the spring if you prefer.
    Tally HO!

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Beachplant,
    Yes spring would be better for me. I am going to have to start spraying here soon so I can prepare to move everything in for the winter. I have my work cut out for me this year..I added about 30 plumeria this year, so on top of what I had before, I am looking at around 100 or so! YIKES! 100 that will take up the space of a volkswagen?! OMG what have I done! LOL!

I know that I will never see them that large but still...

Thanks for offering to help me!

Andrew

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Moonie,
    I apologize for not answering you. I wont sell Pyscho to you. You know why? I had 3, yes 3 gifted to me by a very kind member here and I would love to return the kindness by giving it to you.

Andrew

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Gosh, it's like I've been hanging here since yesterday waiting for you to answer, Andrew. :)

I would be happy to accept your Psycho. It will be a cherished gift from a wonderful friend. I will send you an email this weekend.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Moonie,
    So sorry for not answering you sooner. I have not been doing so hot lately. It's been warm and muggy here and that causes havoc on my back and knees. I have had a harder time sitting here on the computer replying to responses like yours, and answering emails. Please don't be offended if I don't answer your email right away. Weather doesn't look like it's going to be that great this weekend either. It's warm and muggy now,and it looks like were going to get some much needed rain. Tomorrow and Sunday is going to be cool and humid, possibly rainy too. I wish it would just warm up a little more. I still have inflos on Guillots Sunset and Christina that are developing. I am pretty sure that the G.S. will have time to bloom. Not too sure about Christina.

Andrew

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Hi Andrew. I was just teasing you as I had not been sitting waiting for your reply. It was just a coincidence, and I thought it was rather amusing, that I happened to get on the computer just after you posted. :)

I am so sorry that you are feeling poorly. Wish I was there to help you do your watering and whatever needs to be done. There probably isn't much worse than having back problems, then toss in the knees and it must really get you down.

Tonight or tomorrow I am going to email you my address but I don't want you to feel pressured at all to get the Psycho mailed off. Just get around to it when you're going to the PO for other business. It's in good hands and won't be performing any miracles yet so whether here or there, it won't matter. Thank you.

Maybe the weather will hold for your Christina to bloom. I remember Lynn's and she's so pretty.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Hope you feel better soon Andrew. They get the size of a volkswagon sooner than you think. Ruthless pruning is the only way to keep them small. Eventually there will be plumria, brugs and citrus trees everywhere in the backyard. The hackberries will be whacked down, eventually.
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Just got off the phone with Nancy Willis, and Emerson has a broomstick rainbow for $40. Andrew, you can find them online under Nan and the Plumeriaman. Or, you can email me and I will give you their phone number. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Emerson just emailed me pictures of the two broomstick plumeria , he has. One single tip for $30, and a two tip for $40. I was looking for a Mr Ambassador, but he only has a hugh one in a 5 gallon pot for $225 for, pick up only. I think I will just wait until the spring until he has smaller plants. Nancy told me the story of why the plumeria was called broomstick. When it was discovered the plumeria had a broomstick tied to the top of it. Emerson is trying to promote it, like he did California Sally, and I think she said Thorntons Lemeon Drops. Barbra

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

It's on my list for next year.
    The PSA newsletter "Plumeria Potpourri" - July 2012 issue has the story in it.
    It oringally was found in California by a lady and her son, and she told Emerson about it. In his travels across the country, he was able to get cuttings and begin to promote it.
    Great story by CI about rooting cuttings in this issue too.

Lonnie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Emerson sent me a picture of the broomstick plumeria. The bloom is hugh, he said it is not prone to black tip like the other rainbow. He also told me that he is going to promote it next year, like he did California Sally and Thorntons Lemon Drops, Since he did not have Mr Ambassador in a smaller size, I bought one of the broomstick rainbows.
    Barbra

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Barbra, your yard at the coast is going to be amazing next season!

Were you ever able to get pics of Makaha in bloom?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I have pictures of Makaha Sunn in my little battery camera, Richard has seen them. I will bring my camera to our meeting so you can see them. It is really hot colors, kinda like Gold Coast Cotton Candy, but more orange. It just had buds when I went down week before last. I took pictures, but it doesn't do her justice, they are so tiny. I did not take pictures last weekend, I was too upset, and wanted to get home. Emerson sent me a picture of Broomstick, and the colors are alot like Glady's O'Neal, but it has hugh open blooms. I am not partial to yellows, but it sure did look pretty. He said he will promote it next year. I felt I better get it now, its going to be impossible to get next year. Barbra

• akakoa
    11 years ago

I am the one that gave Emerson his cuttings of broomstick rainbow. I found this plumeria near my home in anaheim. The hawaiian lady that owned the house gave me a cutting of it. I nicknamed it broomstick rainbow because I asked the Hawaiian lady why there was a broomstick way up in the branches. She laughed and said she wondered where it went. Her kids threw it up there. The tree was 20 feet tall and old. It is really a No Id/not named flower. I guess i need to register it now. It has a slight fragrance but nice bright yellow with red edge that glows neon orange at sunset. Tons of flowers and a fast rooter and grower.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing your cuttings with Emerson. He really is excited about this plant. Nancy talked me into buying one. They emailed me a picture of the bloom and I really liked the bright colors. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing your cuttings with Emerson. He really is excited about this plant. Nancy talked me into buying one. They emailed me a picture of the bloom and I really liked the bright colors. Barbra

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Very cool! Akakoa, your discovery now has fans everywhere! Thanks for spreading the joy of this flower.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

as soon as my photos upload to photobucket I will post the picture of your plant. I couldn`t stand you having one and not me so I bought one also. Emerson is a little concerned he may have mislabeled it, the leaves look different, smaller but it may just be due to the maturity of the cuttings, the bark is the same. We will see when they bloom. He didn`t have any California Sally.
    Tally HO!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

{{gwi:1202330}}
    Broomstick rainbow at Emersons

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Thank you for posting akakoa.

Tally, did he have any left?
    Lonnie

• pcput
    11 years ago

Tally, When I looked at your pic of Emerson's Broomstick rainbow I was looking through other pics you have there. Do you know what this one is? It is #76 in the alblum. Peg

• beachplant
    11 years ago

The picture above are Broomstick rainbow plants he has for sale.

I don`t know the name of that one, he told me the names of so many they all jumbled in my head.

Tally Ho!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida