Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hilo Beauty -- this one is dark!

Posted by dave_in_nova VA zone 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 14, 10 at 8:23

I'm not sure what I think about the color of this one. It's almost too dark a red for me. Kinda like dark red velvet. It doesn't really show up from a distance. This is the first time it has bloomed for me. Are the colors lighter in cooler weather?

What does everyone think? Is it a keeper?? I had a friend take photos 'cause my camera couldn't really capture the color accurately.

Photos by Boca Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hilo Beauty -- this one is dark!

all reds are good. It is almost as dark here. Say hi to Boca Joe- he is visiting me in october.

o

I think it looks great. I would say it's a very passionate plumeria bloom. Beautiful.

o

Bill, I'm glad you will be able to meet up with Joe. He's absolutely nuts about tropicals. We have shared a lot of plant material over the years.

o

Dave,
In my opinion it's a keeper for sure! I love those dark reds.

John

o

Keeper. A very unique specimen plant.

o

It is different. I like the almost black veins in the petals. Does it have a nice scent?

o

Karyn the scent is faint. I've read it will increase fragrance once picked. Don't know about that.

o

Hey Dave,

That is a beautiful "Hilo Beauty"

I would definately "Keep Her" LOL.....

My Black Tiger has the same coloring, but the flowers are really slow to open. All others seem to be doing great...I wonder why this red is so fragile? Are the reds and dark burgandys more difficult to grow in general?

Hope all is well in Nova!!! I was working this weekend, and heard about all of the mess happening in DC...I hope your wife survived all the headaches!!!!

Take care everyone,

Laura in VB

o

Laura,

I can't really say that 'reds' are any harder to grow. I've read that reds are more difficult to 'root', but that has not been the case for me. This one rooted easily. I think maybe SOME SPECIFIC VARIETIES are harder to root, but it also depends on the freshness and maturity of the cutting as well as the vigor of the plant when the cutting is made.

o

I find reds harder to root here in Calif because you need more warmth and less coolness. I have had more success when I keep a dry core in a hole in wet soil so the stem stays away from very wet soil. I use a water bottle removed from the wet soil and then put the stem and dry soil into the hole left by the bottle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here