Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeds vs Cuttings

Posted by FSUDaisy GA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 9:34

I am in love with plumeria and have always wanted to grow it. I've seen a couple of the potted plants at Home Depot here in Georgia, but they are a bit more expensive than my budget allows.

Im looking at the seeds & cuttings on e-bay and wondering which would be better for a beginner? I am pretty good with basic houseplants, but have never tried plumeria before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeds vs Cuttings

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 11:47

Hello
welcome to the group.

Well that all depends on what you want. Seedlings while cheap to buy the seeds and fairly easy to start will not be like the parent and can take many years to flower. Cuttings will be identical can flower the first year. However some can be difficult to root without rotting. Buying a rooted cutting or a grafted cultivar will give you exactly what you buy and already have an established root system making it easy for you to start enjoying them

My advice would be to purchase a rooted or grafted named variety, probably a common cultivar since they are usually the cheapest and start you collection that way. I say collection because I promise by this time next year you will have atleast 10, LOL

Oh and be careful on Ebay. There is only about 2 maybe 3 reputable sellers of plumeria on there. I would avoid most if not all Thailand sellers as there have been reports of miss identified plants and photoshopped images.

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 11:50

o
RE: Seeds vs Cuttings

If you buy on eBay, I recommend "bloomingplumerias" or "1-stop-aloha", both are on Hawaii. Otherwise, beware!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here