Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Really tall plumaria on skinny base

Posted by gardenscents 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 1, 10 at 9:35

I have a 7' plumaria which is seriously top heavy which I have supported against a fence, but need to bring inside in October. I'll be cutting the leaves off but it has 4 huge branches with loads of flower thingies at the top and makes it very wide. Should I cut it back or just stake it? I hate to lose any blooms next year as it just started blooming this year - stark white flowers with a tiny bit of yellow in the middle. Should I just cut in half and let it branch out next year? Will it branch out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Really tall plumaria on skinny base

Sounds like it needs a bigger pot to allow the trunk and root system to develop. IMO Its not a good idea to cut a branch in the middle of its span.

o
RE: Really tall plumaria on skinny base

It's your call and it's hard to give advice without seeing a picture of the plant, but you might try to selectively prune one or two of the longest branches before you bring it in (then do the same at the end of the following growing season). Leave at least 12" of a branch 'stump' so it has something to regrow from. Hopefully it will send out two or more tips near the cut. Keep in mind if you cut ALL the branches back you will likely not get flowers next season. So leave at least two branches and tips for flowers. Flowers develop on mature growth, not on the thin, new, soft green growth.

Big, lanky plumerias can be difficult to train sometimes. They want to be trees! That's why I'm trying to cultivate the more compact varieties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here