Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jandey1

Another bummer :(

jandey1
10 years ago

Well, after several weeks of excitement, I've given up hope of seeing any flowers from my JL Tornado seedling. The inflo grew fine through our scorching weather last month, then stalled with the lead buds at only about 1/4 long.

They haven't grown one bit the last couple weeks and we had a good rain and have perfect temps and humidity right now. Very disappointing. The buds are looking a bit dark and dry now.

Has anyone seen this happen before, or know what causes it? The plant is pushing four new tips but the inflo has just stopped midway to blooming.

On the other hand, the Orange Splendor seedling is chugging along with beautiful fat buds, and the lead one looks like it'll open in the next few days. Super happy about that! :)

Comments (7)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

You tell me! I have my Lani sitting there with 6 large inflos. Only a few buds actually bloomed. All other buds dried up and fell off. Thrips? Mites? Bad roots? You got me.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Jen,
    Could need more light. Blooming cycles are conditional based on hours of daylight besides heat and humidity. You may want to shine a grow light on it just before the sun starts to setting for couple more hours per day.
    Good luck, hope to see pics of the bloom
    Cheers
    James

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, guys. James, you may be right as the days are getting shorter. Our nights are still in the 70's but that may not be enough to keep the inflo going.

Dave, the whole top of the plant has micro dots on it like a very fine powder, but I can't see any insects. Could be mites, but it doesn't look quite the same as mite damage. This one could be susceptible to fungus, I guess, which is weird since this is the first year it's behaved like that.

Oh, well, fingers crossed for next year!

• spiroan
    10 years ago

Hi Jen,

Both (yes, I've only had two) seedling first blooms I've had have been extremely weak. I have one right now that is doing something very similar to yours. It has quite a few buds on it, but once they get a little size to them, the buds just turn black and fall off or they just turn sideways and stop growing. At the same time, I've got a more mature one that has a number of blooms open right now and more coming. The seedling is pushing four branches, which are growing really quickly, but the inflo just doesn't seem to want to open a bloom.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Jen!!

Some of mine are doing the same thing and it is so frustrating to see them just sitting.. I also have trees that are pushing Inflos and the only thought I have is.. " NO , Not now..." I wish we could turn off the timer in those beauties so they will bloom next season, but they have their own minds.

I hope you see your beauties open and give you that wonderful feeling we wait for so patiently...

Keeping my fingers crossed that your JL Tornado Seedling will open for you!! I can't wait to see Orange Splendor Open!! How exciting!!!

Moragne 23 will open soon too!! ;-)

Take care, Jen!!

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

J,
    I would offer the amount of sunlight we have right now is nearly 12 hours which is pretty comparable to most days in the tropics. I know in my north facing back yard I chase the sunlight to the back fence. Any potential that the changing angle of the sun has put this plant in the shade more than you were expecting? Or maybe its the decrease in light from 14 hours to 12 can trigger the slow down. All supposition on my part but food for thought.

I'm thinking a nice spray of neem or 3 in 1 would help. even on the inflo. (what have you got to loose?). Then moving to your best sunny spot.

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting. It may be the lower angle of the sun. I'll try moving it. We just took out a big tree--yes, I'm crazy--so there's more sun available elsewhere.

Spiro, glad to know I'm not alone in this problem. I just figured it was immaturity.

Laura, will you keep the ones with inflos going in the greenhouse for a while?