Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plucrazy

Lowes Plumerias

plucrazy
11 years ago

I visited the Lowes store yesterday where I bought four plumerias earlier in the year when they got a shipment in. I was surprised to see almost all of the them still there. I thought there were people out there jumping in to buy Jungle Jacks smaller growing plumerias. I did find a plant marked yellow. Does anyone know what he calls "yellow". There are still a lot left at $20 each. Thats in Sanford Fl in Central Fl. I said I wouldn't buy anymore this year but what the heck, I don't have a yellow. Clara

Comments (19)

• astrl
    11 years ago

I'm on the opposite coast so I can't speak for your Lowe's. When we get the very occasional plumeria for sale out here at our Lowe's or Home Depot, they are not well marked with the specific variety or even the color, and most are only in fair health.

astrl

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Neither Lowes near me got any plumeria until 2 weeks ago when the one up the road got Pudica. So I am jealous you have a better Lowes. Home Depot never got any plumeria in this area.

Tally HO!

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

My understanding from the Cali folks on here is that JJ sells various types of noIDs that are likely outstanding flowers, but are noIDs strictly because they are not his named cultivars. I have pro'ly 3 or 4 JJ hybrids that I've bought at my local Florida Lowe's that have been named things like "Pink/White hybrid" or "Pink Hybrid" or "Premium [color]". None of the damn things have bloomed for me yet, so I can't verify any of this, but if I were you I would not expect to be able to match the flowers up with some named JJ cultivar...'cause it just isn't one of those. If it were, it'd say so.

Greg

That's not to say it won't be beautiful, though...some Left-Coasters on here have posted photos of absolutely stunning flowers that are JJ noIDs.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Check the trunk for writing. some of our forumfolks have found that they may be marked with the initials of a named cultivar.

• plucrazy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The ones I bought earlier had tags and names, Divine, and I can't remember the others. But the Divine had a spent inflo that I did not cut off, and it has bloomed more or less since, Smells divine too. The ones at Lowes are in very good shape compared to the ones at HD and WallyWorld.
    That's why I was surprised they hadn't sold.
    Just order two more from Brads BB got an email special offer, how can I refuse? Clara

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

All the ones I have seen at my local HD were marked. I saw Divine, Thumbalina, Whirlwind, Elsie, and many more that I can't remember at the moment. I didn't buy any b/c for me I'm close enough to JJ's that I can go and pick out exactly what I want. There were only a few that marked Premium White which I just assumed were NoID. But for the most part they were labeled. But then again even if you go to JJ's there are many plants that are NoID. I even bought one myself that many here believe to be Tiger.

I was at HD and Lowes last week picking out some pots and neither had any JJ's plumerias left. Armstrong still has tons of Tom's Plumerias though... but I was told they won't mark them down but instead will ship them back to Tom? What a bummer... I was hoping that Moragne #23 would go on sale. Oh well... next year then.

• Minderella
    11 years ago

I haven't looked lately. My Divine just bloomed yesterday, I was so excited my first bloom.

Mindy

• gardenbear1
    11 years ago

I would sell my first born to find a Plumeria at Lowes or HD in my area,but then there not a lot of people around me that grow them,The garden center where I spend lots of my money at won't even order them because there not enough call for them,its kinda suck living in New England when you want some like plumerias

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Gardenbear - have you tried asking your garden center to let you know when they plan on ordering their tropicals (assuming that they do) and see if the co. they order from sells plumerias, named varieties if that's what you're wanting. They could order for you if they're willing to practice some customer service.

• coke_nut
    11 years ago

plucrazy
    You were lucky to see any color marked at all. LOL. I'm here in Orlando and Lowes doesn't seem to have plumeria to often. However when they do, the tag only says plumeria and gives no color. LOL.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

the local nursery often has plumeria, for a very hefty price, a cutting in a 4" pot for $29.99, labeled, red, white. Needless to say they don`t sell a lot of them.
    Paula sells hers from both her house and the store she works at, which is just around the corner from me, she has a very nice selection and travels to Hawaii fairly often. I bought a very nice lemon chiffon from her for $40.
    Tally HO!

• gardenbear1
    11 years ago

Moonie, I've all ready ask if the could order me one or two and I don't mind paying full price for them, but they said no it couldn't be done,guess I'll find a on line store and buy them that way and find a new garden center to spend my money at

Bear

• Minderella
    11 years ago

Coke nut, I bought a Divine and Thumbelina at lowes earlier this year. Leesburg, Mt Dora and The one in the villages had them. I havent looked lately though.
    mindy

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Bear, even if you did find them at Lowes, or your local nursery ordered them for you, I doubt they would be worth the wait much less your first-born!

Unless you're lucky enough to be near a Lowes that sells JJ's the noids that are popular for the price are usually pretty blah, grow into "mooses"--huge tall things with few branches--and often are riddled with problems from transit and shock and poor soil.

You'll be much happier and get exactly what you want if you order straight from JJ's or Florida Colors, Maui Plumeria Gardens or Brad's. The plants will be fat, healthy and desirable varieties.

And Clara, when I was at JJ's in June I found an unmarked yellow that was big and lovely, so if you're lucky you might get this:

Smelled lovely, too.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Bear - some of us just need to make a nice long shopping trip, huh? :)

Jen - that is a beautiful flower!

But, concerning finding local plumeria and if they are worth the wait.... the only two plumerias I have blooming are noids, both bought at my local feed and seed store. One of them has been blooming continuously since late winter, although it is a white. The other one is celadine, or possibly a seedling of celadine. The white one was kept in the greenhouse last winter. Later today or tomorrow, I'm going to start another thread about plumerias in the greenhouse. And how you guys decide which ones to keep going.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Mona, you're right, sometimes you do find a treasure. But how will I convince you to come to Texas for a sale if you keep finding treasures at your feed-and-seed?! ;)

• beachplant
    11 years ago

ya`ll just come on down to Galveston in the spring. We`ll go to the psa sale, I just joined btw, hit the local growers, eat shrimp and swim in the Gulf.

Bear that sucks. I saw plumeria at a nursery in Kansas City last time I visited my Aunt, I even got a couple of hoyas I didn`t have there. You just never know what you`ll find. That particular nursery carries an amazing array of tropicals, better than our local nursery.

Tally HO!

• irun5k
    11 years ago

The St Pete Lowes has a few left, I'm wondering when they will hit the clearance rack?

• HU-553514083
    3 years ago

I agreed that so many healthy plumeria at my local Lowes have no tags. I want to get one but afraid that I will end up with color I already have.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor