Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jandey1

The season in review

jandey1
10 years ago

I finally finished uploading all my pics from Kauai on the Kauai thread, but like George H. I found some lovely surprises when I got home from vacation.

As we were admiring the huge Edi Moragne trees in Hawaii, my little tree back home was blooming:

I don't know why more people don't have this one. She's a big elegant bloom with a killer scent and big bright foliage. Also supposed to be very hardy.

After waiting an entire Ohcomeonalready for Leona, she finally bloomed when we got back:

The blooms are small right now because our heat is so bad, and the scent is light cola but the colors are fabulous!

This is Not My Valentine, a large pretty pink with great foliage:

I think I'll keep her anyway.

She's doing a weird inflo into branching, too:

This is the seedling bed in mid August. It's now much more dense and taller:

This was where my biggest and happiest surprise was:

YES!! That's an inflo on a JL Tornado seedling!! The biggest seedlings are just under three years old and my two most impressive, JLT1 and Orange Splendor1, both have big inflos on them--I am psyched! The sneaky things were just waiting until I wasn't around to pop those out, hehe.

Maverick is still going, slowly but surely:

She's like a more fragrant pink version of TLD.

Most were done blooming, but I did compile some great shots:

Heirloom

George's Hawaiian Sunset:

The many faces of Desert Sunrise:

And finally able to fill up that pansy ring:

Starting at the top that's Edi, CA Sally, TLD, HI Sunset, CA Sally, Heirloom, CA Sally, Delightful, CA Sally, Desert Sunrise and HI Sunset again.

Mike, I don't know why I can't find pics of Delightful blooming while it rooted, but it did! They smelled wonderful, too--thanks again!

I can't pick one favorite for the year, but three are neck-and-neck:

CA Sally

Desert Sunrise

Maverick

Okay, okay, four are neck-and-neck:

The marvelous TLD!

It's been a great season!

I'll keep y'all updated when the two seedlings bloom. I can only hope they'll be as nice as the plants they're blooming on, which are both vigorous with impressive foliage. Fingers crossed!

Jen

Comments (15)

• rox146
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh my...such beauties...you must be very happy....roxanne

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Jen

Absolutely wonderful photos. The more photos of TLD that get posted the more I need to get one.

Im so glad you were able to see and smell Delightful. It is a great producer for me.

Mike

• spiroan
    10 years ago

Love the pictures, Jen! I think my favorite is the Desert Sunrise, but they are all pretty.

Congrats on the new seedling inflo, too!

• texasplum
    10 years ago

love that DS and the TLD is on my must have list!

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Jen

Gorgeous flowers! I'm still waiting to see your Kaui Beauty blooms! I'm jealous your seedlings are about to bloom! I can feel the anticipation in you. My oldest seedlings are not even 2 years old yet. Hopefully next year will be the year (I can only hope).

Kenny

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Those are fabulous flowers and great photos Jen. I love that Desert Sunrise. My cutting collapsed and die 2 days after I received it. I got to get a new one.

I also have lots of new varieties with inflos. I will be posting pictures as they open.

George

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Jen, is that FCN Leona Hoke? It does not look like Waimea at all. Waimea has wider and overlapping petals.

George

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rox, thanks! It's great to have blooms after pouting for two years about how I never got any blooms that I didn't buy!

Mike, I haven't forgotten--your cutting is still on the tree, my friend! Next spring when TLD starts waking up I'll take it off and ship it to you. Should be an easy rooter.

Spiro and plum, thank you! Desert Sunrise is on my "can't be without" list. It'll turn nearly red in our Texas heat.

Kenny, I have Kimi Beauty, which is also a deep red. I'm pretty excited about it, too! But the seedlings--ooh, the anticipation! I'm so nervous I'll accidentally knock one off before it blooms, lol. Don't worry, with your weather you'll probably see some seedling inflo next season. Mine are the big boys, the back left and the tall center ones in the photo (tall one on the right is a cutting). They matured faster than the others, and are thick in the trunk.

George, yes, that's FCN's Leona. All the photos I've seen of Waimea show the wide petals you describe. I hope they're different; I have both.

You definitely must have Desert Sunrise! And we can't wait to see your new varieties! Your photos are always so good.

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Amazing plants and flowers Jen!!! I can't wait to see your seedlings flower!

Great job!

Mark

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

Jennifer- those are some beautiful pictures of some beautiful flowers. Nice to see how your garden is growing. Bill

• Kimo
    10 years ago

GORGEOUS!!! What a way to end the season, great show thanks Jen!!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Beautiful Jen !!!

Lovely blooms... I know you were happy with your trees this season!!!

So happy for you!!

Congratulations!!

Laura

• pcput
    10 years ago

Yea Jen!!!
    You'll have to go away more. I think you made them jealous!
    Can't wait to see your seedlings. I'm sure they'll be great ones.
    Peg

• joanr
    10 years ago

Jen,

Those are just beautiful. You are doing an awesome job with your plummies and I am totally jealous that you went to Hawaii this year. Well not too jealous cause we took an Alaskan cruise this year. But no plummies up there!!!

Joan

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Wow! That Leona Hoke is gorgeous.

I just about ordered it from Florida Colors and then I was able to get my hands on a Waimea (even though they are different).

Great presentation!

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer