Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The season in review

Posted by jandey TX8 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 10:20

I finally finished uploading all my pics from Kauai on the Kauai thread, but like George H. I found some lovely surprises when I got home from vacation.

As we were admiring the huge Edi Moragne trees in Hawaii, my little tree back home was blooming:
2013-07-22 08.43.41
I don't know why more people don't have this one. She's a big elegant bloom with a killer scent and big bright foliage. Also supposed to be very hardy.

After waiting an entire Ohcomeonalready for Leona, she finally bloomed when we got back:
2013-08-25 08.16.10
The blooms are small right now because our heat is so bad, and the scent is light cola but the colors are fabulous!

This is Not My Valentine, a large pretty pink with great foliage:
2013-08-01 14.01.50
I think I'll keep her anyway.
2013-07-23 19.13.39
She's doing a weird inflo into branching, too:
2013-08-11 07.40.08

This is the seedling bed in mid August. It's now much more dense and taller:
2013-08-11 07.39.08
This was where my biggest and happiest surprise was:
2013-08-25 08.15.10
YES!! That's an inflo on a JL Tornado seedling!! The biggest seedlings are just under three years old and my two most impressive, JLT1 and Orange Splendor1, both have big inflos on them--I am psyched! The sneaky things were just waiting until I wasn't around to pop those out, hehe.

Maverick is still going, slowly but surely:
2013-07-04 09.52.20
She's like a more fragrant pink version of TLD.

Most were done blooming, but I did compile some great shots:
2013-06-29 07.07.59
Heirloom

George's Hawaiian Sunset:
2013-07-07 17.25.46

The many faces of Desert Sunrise:
2013-07-07 17.26.06

And finally able to fill up that pansy ring:
2013-07-18 07.04.19
Starting at the top that's Edi, CA Sally, TLD, HI Sunset, CA Sally, Heirloom, CA Sally, Delightful, CA Sally, Desert Sunrise and HI Sunset again.

Mike, I don't know why I can't find pics of Delightful blooming while it rooted, but it did! They smelled wonderful, too--thanks again!

I can't pick one favorite for the year, but three are neck-and-neck:
DSC04222
CA Sally

DSC04209
Desert Sunrise

DSC04187
Maverick

Okay, okay, four are neck-and-neck:
LD 1st inflo 2013
The marvelous TLD!

It's been a great season!

I'll keep y'all updated when the two seedlings bloom. I can only hope they'll be as nice as the plants they're blooming on, which are both vigorous with impressive foliage. Fingers crossed!

Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The season in review

Oh my...such beauties...you must be very happy....roxanne

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 14:52

Jen

Absolutely wonderful photos. The more photos of TLD that get posted the more I need to get one.

Im so glad you were able to see and smell Delightful. It is a great producer for me.

Mike

o

Love the pictures, Jen! I think my favorite is the Desert Sunrise, but they are all pretty.

Congrats on the new seedling inflo, too!

o

love that DS and the TLD is on my must have list!

o

• Posted by k2fl okc 7 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 18:03

Jen

Gorgeous flowers! I'm still waiting to see your Kaui Beauty blooms! I'm jealous your seedlings are about to bloom! I can feel the anticipation in you. My oldest seedlings are not even 2 years old yet. Hopefully next year will be the year (I can only hope).

Kenny

o

Those are fabulous flowers and great photos Jen. I love that Desert Sunrise. My cutting collapsed and die 2 days after I received it. I got to get a new one.

I also have lots of new varieties with inflos. I will be posting pictures as they open.

George

o

Jen, is that FCN Leona Hoke? It does not look like Waimea at all. Waimea has wider and overlapping petals.

George

o

Rox, thanks! It's great to have blooms after pouting for two years about how I never got any blooms that I didn't buy!

Mike, I haven't forgotten--your cutting is still on the tree, my friend! Next spring when TLD starts waking up I'll take it off and ship it to you. Should be an easy rooter.

Spiro and plum, thank you! Desert Sunrise is on my "can't be without" list. It'll turn nearly red in our Texas heat.

Kenny, I have Kimi Beauty, which is also a deep red. I'm pretty excited about it, too! But the seedlings--ooh, the anticipation! I'm so nervous I'll accidentally knock one off before it blooms, lol. Don't worry, with your weather you'll probably see some seedling inflo next season. Mine are the big boys, the back left and the tall center ones in the photo (tall one on the right is a cutting). They matured faster than the others, and are thick in the trunk.

George, yes, that's FCN's Leona. All the photos I've seen of Waimea show the wide petals you describe. I hope they're different; I have both.

You definitely must have Desert Sunrise! And we can't wait to see your new varieties! Your photos are always so good.

o

Amazing plants and flowers Jen!!! I can't wait to see your seedlings flower!

Great job!

Mark

o

Jennifer- those are some beautiful pictures of some beautiful flowers. Nice to see how your garden is growing. Bill

o

GORGEOUS!!! What a way to end the season, great show thanks Jen!!

o

Beautiful Jen !!!

Lovely blooms... I know you were happy with your trees this season!!!

So happy for you!!

Congratulations!!

Laura

o

Yea Jen!!!
You'll have to go away more. I think you made them jealous!
Can't wait to see your seedlings. I'm sure they'll be great ones.
Peg

o

Jen,

Those are just beautiful. You are doing an awesome job with your plummies and I am totally jealous that you went to Hawaii this year. Well not too jealous cause we took an Alaskan cruise this year. But no plummies up there!!!

Joan

o

Wow! That Leona Hoke is gorgeous.

I just about ordered it from Florida Colors and then I was able to get my hands on a Waimea (even though they are different).

Great presentation!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here