Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting types and winterizing

Posted by astrl 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 10:29

How about a quick survey of planting and winterizing preferences?

1) Do you have your plumeria in the ground or in pots?
2) How do you winterize yours?

I'll start.

1) All of mine are in pots.
2) I bring them into my enclosed patio still in their pots.

Mine will soon be too large for pots or wintering on the patio so I need to decide the next step. My plan was to put them in the ground, but we have occasional frosts and freezes so I will have to plan accordingly.

astrl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting types and winterizing

All of mine are also in pots. They'll go (in their pots) into the garage or into the spare bedroom for the winter. I have a lot of seedlings so they will have to be set up in the spare bedroom and I may also be investing in a grow light.

As for when they get much bigger, I don't know yet. LOL!

o

First-year rooted cuttings will be in the basement under lights and watered a bit until they go dormant.

Large plants go in the heated garage (no lower than 50 degrees) for the winter. Smaller plants go in the basement or my office if they fit!

o

about 1/2 in ground now, the rest will be by next spring with just a few staying in pots on the deck.

I will bring them in if a hard freeze is predicted, only the ones in pots. Seedlings I plan to keep in a window until they go dormant, cuttings will be brought into the bird room if it is freezing and put on a heat mat. Though I am seriously considering just sticking them all in our unheated storeroom for the winter the first time I have to carry all those pots inside!

The ones in ground will get a layer of mulch, wrapped for a light freeze.

If we have a hurricane I will just freak out.

If we had a garage I would move them all in there, hanging the big ones from the ceiling. But,no garage, no attic, no basement-there are no basements here, water table is too high and they are illegal.
Tally Ho!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here