Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tking268

Brown Spots on Leaves

tking268
11 years ago

Good Morning,

I transplanted this plumeria at the beginning of September, 2012 using a cactus type of potting soil recommended from the local nursery. The plant had definitely outgrown the previous container.

The plant was given to me this past September from a friend who lives near the coast in Del Mar. I'm sure there was/is some shock from both the transplant and the higher temperatures in Poway.

I'm concerned about the brown spots on the leaves. It is getting regular water, the soil is kept at the consistency of damp coffee grounds.

Are the leaves just preparing to drop - or do I have other problems?

Please help.

Thanks in advance

Comments (7)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Looks like sunburn from higher temps to me.

I had one on my deck most of the summer which got part sun. I moved it to the back of the yard into full sun (so we could get siding put on the house and have the deck cleaned off). Just in that little move it sunburned some of the leaves. Go figure.

I think sometimes they will even sunburn if the plant is sitting in one orientation and then you rotate it! Maybe certain leaf surfaces aren't used to the full brunt of the sun. Don't know.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Hi tking - your other leaves on that plant look really good so I agree with Dave to think topical burn at this point. When your leaves are are ready to drop naturally they will usually be the bottom ones first, and fade to a yellow like that one in the back left there.

Check for anything too reflective (even white walls or plastic can do it sometimes) near the plant too. Even water left on the leaves, fertilizer or touching a hot item could do it. Your burns look almost scorched, very concentrated in those spots.

Good luck, keep us posted.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Yep almost every single one of my plants are sun burnt as well. Mine look much much worse though thanks to the high temps and the insane heat bouncing off my patio walls.

I hope all this foliage damage won't hurt my plants in the long run! Hopefully the weather will start to cool down soon.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Plumies don't like wet roots so if you keep the soil like damp coffee grounds, they may be too wet. Perhaps let it dry out a bit between waterings.

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

it is fall. Soon the leaves will fall. Don't worry about your leaves in the fall as they are pretty much finished.
    the leaves are burned from probably reflected or radiating heat from a wall or the plants were in a greenhouse and are burned by moving to a drier, sunnier spot. They should adjust for next year.

• tking268
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the prompt replies. I appreciate everyone's help.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

let that baby dry out! I treat mine like the cactus, as a matter of fact some of them grow in the same bed.

Sunburned leaves aren`t a long-term problem, the plant will just drop them. I have gotten sunburned leaves when moving the plant from a grower to the back deck where they are in more sun.

Tally HO!