Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blooms4me2

Excited Newbie to Plumerias

blooms4me2
10 years ago

OMG I've have fallen all over my self in love with Plumerias this summer! I was at a local nursery early summer and say they had plumeria ( Not named) I asked what they were and they said the Hawaiian flowers that lai's are made of. SO I blindly bought two that already had inflows. Brought them home did research and discovered the hundreds of colors and names and info, didn't even know what an inflow was before this 0_o
Now I have a list of ones I want and desperately seeking someone close to me that grows and sells and is reliable, I'm looking down for orange/pink ones ,, I feel an addiction coming on folks LOL,,
here are the two I now have and will have to bring in for the winter, tho we have mild winters in the Dallas area it still freezes, so YEP I've done some studying on my own about these wonderful beauties! I use 10-52-10 on them and planted in cactus soil with perlite mixed in. Any further help will be appreciated on Vendors ( close to tx), care for wintering over inside, etc,
Thanks in advance, I've lurked and read and have seen gorgeous plumerias on here and see you all are friendly and helpful, sounds like a great choice I made to join here!

Comments (15)

• Minderella
    10 years ago

Love the pink one and see you figured out every thing about posting pics.

Mindy

• blooms4me2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol yes I did Mindy and Thank you :D

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Blooms 4me2!!!

Beautiful Pics..

Wonderful job growing.. The lavender one is a beauty!!!

WHOO HOOO!!!

Mindy.. Nice of you to help!, Love " paying it forward..."

mahalo!!

Laura

• blooms4me2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HI Laura,, thanks for the Welcome and thanks for the compliment,,' Preciate that :)

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Hi there!

Welcome! Now that you have found us your addiction will only get worse! We have some wonderful enablers on here. LOL.

I started April 2012 and I'm having a hard time keeping the count to around 80. While 50 sounds more manageable...I find that number unrealistic therefore unattainable. ;)

I love both of your flowers! You must have a green thumb for both look wonderful. Thank you for sharing!

Lynn

• blooms4me2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Lynn :) I've had flower gardens for years, so yep I compost, and have always looked for unique flowers to grow although I love many common and native plants I love a personal challenge especially with tropicals here in Hot dry Dallas area. I baby those challengable plants and flowers to fall in love with me too so they will cooperate with me more LOL,
    No really I did a lot of reading on Plumeria and kinda put together what they might need in terms of this environment, All I know is NOW I want more! Any direction of a good reliable vendor would be greatly appreciated, I really want some Orange ones, and Jeane Morange plumerias. Any one know of a good vendor in say the Florida area or Tx area?

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Hi,

Here are some vendors that we all love

http://www.floridacolors.com/
    I have spoken to Carol many times but I have not had the need to order from her yet. Although many here have purchased from them and are very happy.

https://bradsbudsandblooms.com/
    I have ordered from them twice and both times they exceeded my expectations. So am very happy with their plants as well as their customer service.

http://www.junglejacksplumeria.com/
    A personal favorite vendor simply because John is local and I can go to this green houses and hand pick what I want. I got many many plants from John and I'm happy with all my purchases. If you like oranges, check out his Orange Jack. I recently bought mine and I LOVE it!

You can also find some lovely plants on Ebay from
    Matt at 1-stop-aloha or Fuzzy at Bloomingplumerias. Both are very reliable.

I'm sure there are other sources but I can't remember at the moment. Maybe others can jump in and recommend more. :)

• blooms4me2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so very much No clue , that was very helpful, looks like a have a lot of looking to do this labor day,, glad I have the day off to do it lol ,, thanks again,, :D

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Blooms4me2,

There are several Texans here on the site. I live just South of Ft. Worth. Houston is where the majority of the growers are in our state, but there are a few here in North Texas and Austin.

Lonnie

• blooms4me2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lonnie I'm in Arlington, south of fort worth is mighty close to me. It's excititng to know there are plumy lovers around me, Woooohooo,, Need All the help I can get,,
    Lonnie when you bring your's in for the winter do you bring them in with the pot or bare rooted? If it's bare rooted what do you place them in instead of the pot,, I read somewhere it's better to bring them in bare rooted,, SMH??

• Theresa-57
    10 years ago

Talking about newbie, hi everyone, I was in Hawwaii last month and bouth some plumeria cuttings. when I got back to souther CA, I went on line to learn how to root them,. that how I found this web side. anyway I have this plumeria plant for about 10 years now. See how pitiful it is? I tucked it behind a water fountain and forgot about it. Pull it out this morning, o dear! What I'm I going to do with it?

• Theresa-57
    10 years ago

These ore the bloom from the plan above. I have no ideas about the name.

• blooms4me2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That Bloom is Beautiful Theresa!,, Can you not dig up and move it, or Prune it back and get cutting and start new ones??
    I'm so excited I've ordered 3 Plumies From Brad's buds and blooms,,
    Orange Punch,,
    Butterfly GOld
    and
    Jeannie Morange Jr,,\
    In 2 more days I get to open them for My Birthday,, YAY ! I must say I gifted my self Well LOLOL

• pcput
    10 years ago

Welcome to the group, blooms4me2 and Theresa-57 ! Lots of good people and great info here.
    Theresa-57 - If that plant was mine I would take some cuttings and root them. More plants then :) I would cut one branch each year so you'll build confidence rooting. The piece on the tree will sprout more branches and you might get a full and shorter looking tree. Just a thought, but would wait for spring to make the first cut. If you get the branches to root and like the look of the new tree, you'll have plants to trade for more varieties. Or to make a new tree for yourself :)
    Peg

• blooms4me2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That Bloom is Beautiful Theresa!,, Can you not dig up and move it, or Prune it back and get cutting and start new ones??
    I'm so excited I've ordered 3 Plumies From Brad's buds and blooms,,
    Orange Punch,,
    Butterfly GOld
    and
    Jeannie Morange Jr,,\
    In 2 more days I get to open them for My Birthday,, YAY ! I must say I gifted my self Well LOLOL

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022