Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Bloom for a Newbie

Posted by mcdavies Ontario, Canada (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 11:30

To say I'm new to the hobby is an understatement. I discovered plumeria last month when I saw a display at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto. I fell in love with these beauties and did a lot of internet research. Was hesitant to try growing them up here in the Great White North given our weather is anything but tropical, but thought I'd give it a try.

Best thing that happened was hooking up with Massimo, an experienced grower in the Toronto area. Spent an evening picking his brain and adopting a few seedlings. In addition, he had a 6 year old potted tree that I took on...it hadn't bloomed as yet but looked like it might do so this year.

Given that the weather is starting to turn in Ontario, I have the plants indoors under CFL's and the seedlings on heat mats. Well...a few weeks later...success! My first plumeria bloom! Not that I can take much credit...Massimo kinda set it up on a tee for me...LOL...

Never the less, a great introduction to the hobby...hoping for a bunch more blooms over the next few weeks!

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Bloom for a Newbie

I am most impressed to find you Canucks successfully growing plumerias. It is an accomplishment to gain a flower so far from the tropics. Now I have to tease my friend in Thunder Bay who thought it was too far north. Congratulations. Bill

o

Hi Mark!

I agree !

Fantastic job growing up north !

There isnt a Better feeling when you push the limits and successfully have a blooming tree !

What a beautiful tree and bloom!!!

Congratulations on a job well done!!!

Take care,

Laura

o

• Posted by No-Clue So Cal Zone 10 (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 14:58

Hi there,

Awesome job! That's one gorgeous flower!

o

"WOW" You did it and now the addiction really begins. It's just so hard to say no to these plants. Your in good company. Congrats!
Peg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here