Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

Duplicates - What and Why?

elucas101
11 years ago

I thought I would share an addicts' milestone with you all, and ask about yours. I have purchased my first duplicate. (waits for applause to die down...)

I purchased this intentionally, which makes it sound even more crazy...but here's the deal: I have to have Goldilocks. HAVE TO. So I have one being rooted by a seller and it is to be shipped to me once rooted. But you never know - she said it looks good so far, and she does have a back up, but you never know! So I caved and also bought a cutting, which on top of being a duplicate, will have to be rooted by me primarily over the winter. No pressure!

So what duplicates do you have, and why?

Comments (16)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Funny you should mention that. I have been thinking I need to have a duplicate of my Scentsational. JJ's doesnt seem to be advertising it anymore so I have a feeling it may be hard to come by one day.

mike

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Mostly seedlings because you never know what they will look like. Pudica cause I planted them as fill in the front and side beds. I have a couple of others that are duplicates, I ordered Aloha Plumeria mix (cuttings) he offered for no shipping, ordered from A Piece of Paradise and then got some of the same ones from Aloha plumeria. It was just a mix, no choice on what you got. I have no problem buying a plumeria I already have if the price is right, the plant looks good or I just can`t resist.

Tally HO!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

My duplicates are the result of pruning or of breakage from storms. I root them and give them away locally, or, in the case of Penang Peach, keep them!

• astrl
    11 years ago

None, yet. But I have noticed that I have many that are similar colors. I must gravitate to the same look. LOL

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great reasons! I also have one that forked into 2 looooooong branches but those each got 3 tips after blooming - they smell SO GOOD, I think I'll cut both of the branches next spring and root two new 3 tips out of it.

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

I also have duplicates. Hmmm let me see(this is what happens when you have too many plumeria! LOL), I have 3 'J.J.Orange' but from the many pics I have seen, I will be happy to have 3. The third cutting was a misunderstanding but the seller is a friend of mine, so I decided to keep it. The cutting looked so nice, I couldn't say no! I have 2 large beefy Psycho that are 2 years old now, and I have a rooted cutting that will be going to a fellow memeber here, I have 2 Penang Peach, and I am probobly forgetting one or 2 more that are doubles. Of all the ones listed, I wanted doubles in case one didn't root, or to double my odds of getting blooms sooner.

I may decide to part with one of my rooted 'J.J. Orange' plumeria but that's a tough call because none of them have bloomed. I bought the 1 as a 1 gal tree from John and when he sent it to me it had an inflo but because UPS was running so behind at the time, it took 9 days for me to get it and the inflo dropped. I was certainly bummed!

These darn trees are way too addicting! I wish I would have came here before I ever bought my first tree. I would have asked the forum what there opinion was on starting up with growing these trees!! Maybe I wouldn't be in so much trouble now! This year alone I think I bought around 25 plumeria, between 1 year old trees, and rooted cuttings! LMAO!!!!!

Andrew

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Hmmm, was about to say "no duplicates--duplicates BAD!"...but then I remembered that I have a Haleakala downstairs dockside that a t-storm snapped a branch off of...I've been rooting that branch and...ok, I'll admit it...I've been secretly telling myself how great it will be to have Haleakala downstairs AND on the terrace...LOL damn Emily...exposing my sickness...grumble grumble...

G

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Ok.. I'll confess..

I have two Penang Peach..

Ended up with aa few Guillot's Sunset.. (Can't have just one..) : )

Waimea.. I did ..

A few Celadine.. (cuttings rooted any they grew so fast..)
    I like to give them out too!

Two Royal Hawaiians.

Thats it.. as far as doubles.. LOL!! I think?

Thank kim.. : )

Exposing our doubles.. I dont blame you!!!

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I try to limit to one of each for those in the permanent circle. however plants "in transition" such as cuttings that are being rooted to give away or for a specific reason are perfectly acceptable and do not count as dups.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

kms2: I like your definition of 'duplicates'! LOL!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Are the posters on the other GW forums as wacky as we are? Is everyone else as addicted to just one type of plant?

I have only one duplication: Makaha Sunn. Gotta have a backup of that one! Any other dupes get shared out.

Emily, you NEED that backup Goldilocks. She's gorgeous, unique, and super hard to obtain. And she won't get so big that you can't store her as she grows. See? You did good!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

addicted to just one plant? I wish I had that problem. I was just wondering what to order from the amaryllis coop this year and lurking in the Christmas displays to see if the amaryllis were there yet. Don`t even get me started on fruit trees or aroids!

I have a few more duplicates now, there were several I already had in my cuttings box, but since 4 of them were free and you should always have a back up I am happy as a clam.

Tally Ho!

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What's really scary is ALL of those are VERY good reasons to me, they make perfect sense. It has me nodding my head, going, "Yup, good point, mmmhhhmmm, totally." LOL!

Mike - that's certainly a motivator, if you think it may not be easy to get another one and you really love the smell. That was my thinking on Goldilocks, she's just too darn hard to get.

Tally, I have many duplicates of seedlings (didn't even think of that!) but I'm going the kms2 route and saying they don't count as dupes - because like you said, they're all unique, right?!

Dave, it seems you can't go wrong with multiple Penang Peach - I've considered a duplicate of this one and mine hasn't even bloomed yet!

astrl - apparently the "sickness" graduates to this, give it time. LOL! I never would have thought I would have duplicates.

Andrew, you're cracking me up. We would have told you plumeria were a horrible, horrible love affair and to stay away - and you would have done it anyway! HAHA! I would love to see the pics of your Orange, I hope it blooms for you soon!

Greg - LOL! "no duplicates - duplicates BAD! except when..." HAHAHA!!! But see, then you say Haleakala and we all go, "Oooohhh. Yup. Haleakala. Sure, makes sense. Who wouldn't love two of those?"

Laura, you have some great dupes too!! Considering your network, it's commendable you only have those! HAHA!

kms2 - you show such amazing restraint! We will take your definition of duplicates and run wild with it!!!

Jen - whew! thank you!!!- thank god you agree on Goldilocks because I have to justify this somehow! With all the uncertainty of 1-stop, I just couldn't risk not getting a hopeful back up. She's just near impossible to find otherwise. Now I just have to root the damn thing. GULP. Makaha Sunn is a stunning plumie, a great dupe to have!!! Always multiple bidders on that one, she's so pretty.

Sorry for the long post but I always enjoy all of your input!

• joanr
    11 years ago

LOL, at least you didn't ask if we had more than 2. And the answer to that is "Yes" but that was only because I didn't know at the time that Candystripe and Pinwheel Rainbow were the same :)

I had to have duplicates of Panang Peach too. Love that plummie. Also have two of Kohala - backup in case one died. Makaha Sunn - one was given to me. Butterfly Hybrid - after seeing the first one bloom was able to get the second at a good price. Guilott's Sunset - one was a door prize at the PSA meeting that came from Bud Guillot himself (Woo hoo!). Lemon Chiffon & Rose Red - bought as NOID's from Houston Garden (have about 4 each of these and they smell great). See, there are very good reasons for having more than one of a kind!

But then again we have over 200 plants now. Not looking forward to having to put them up for the winter :(

Joan

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

There are other gardenweb forums?

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

"There are other gardenweb forums?"

LOLOL.