Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oh NO,, what should I do,, HELP!

Posted by blooms4me2 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 11:53

I have little tiny black ants on my Plumeria. They are on the branches the leaves ,in the blooms, I scratched the soil but since they are so tiny I didn't see movement, But they Must be in the soil as well, I only have about 6 weeks before I need to bring them in. Should I repot all of them NOW??
they are also in my potted datura's and Desert roses But are worse in the Plumeria's Waaaaaaaaaaaa Please help asap I work so I only have this weekend to take care of this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh NO,, what should I do,, HELP!

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 12:14

Not a big deal really. the worst ants can do to plant is dig out the soil and cause air pockets. The do farm aphids for their honeydew so look for aphids and treat them. Every new blooming plumeria I have gets visited by the ants. commercial ant baits will help get rid of them if you wish.

Mike

o

They are probably thrips. A good spray of insecticidal soap or a pesticide for thrips and it should knock them back. Not anything to panic about though. If they are truly ants then granules outside of the container are best, they'll carry it to the rest.

This post was edited by elucas101 on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 21:47

o

it is def' Ants,,, Not thrips,, If they are in the soil I will be bringing in the house and I don't want ants in the house,, so again should I repot, ot just treat with an organic spray for over all insects including spider mites ,, until I don't see anymore?

o

Blooms...

You could always flush your container with the hose, let the water settle in the soil and let it continue to gently pass thru the container. This will disrupt the ant colony and make them flee...

Then just make sure you let it dry out well before you bring it in. I would also move the container from the area where you have it so the ants won't return home!!!

Just a thought..

I wouldn't use anything on my trees to get rid of ants. Like Emily mentioned, bait traps will work as well on the outside of the container...

Good luck..

Laura

o

it is def' Ants,,, Not thrips,, If they are in the soil I will be bringing in the house and I don't want ants in the house,, so again should I repot, ot just treat with an organic spray for over all insects including spider mites ,, until I don't see anymore?

o

Thanks Laura that's what I will do,, I appreciate all input, :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here