Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treehugger101

Best Systemic Pesticide for Plumeria

treehugger101
9 years ago

This is my first plumeria which I am bringing inside soon. I have a lot of houseplants. I do not want the plumeria spreading spider mites to my whole collection. So I would like to use a systemic pesticide starting now on the plum. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

Terrii

Comments (16)

• plumeriai45
    9 years ago

I use the hose end sprayer of Bayer 3 n 1. And it seems to work great.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

Same here with Bayer...but I use one that you simply mix in a watering can. No spraying needed. Does a fantastic job on mites,mealys, and the worst Thrip's infestations. Nothing else comes close.
    Who wants to use sprays indoors? ahk!.. Poison the bugs,not me.

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Since I will be inside in PA spraying isn't an option. Stan, what is the exact name of the Bayer product you mix with water and water the plants with? Bayer has a zillion products and I cannot locate a systemic you water with. I appreciate your help!

Terri

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

I am pretty sure the Bayer 3 in 1 is a systemic. You could try the Bayer Tree and Shrub insect control as well.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

This Bayer works pretty well for me...I use it on many flowering and non flowering plants...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bayer All in1 Rose and Flower Care

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Pug. I read the comments on amazon and it says not to use this on potted plants. Some folks lost plants and Bayer says plants in pots can be burned. Are your plants in pots? Did you use this full strength?

Thanks!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Does anyone know if the Bayer granules are OK? Seems to me they would work more slowly over time as the plants are watered.

Also a follow-up question. Are thrips visible to the naked eye? I'm wondering if thrips are the main reason for buds to fall off. My plants are pretty well established with robust root systems. Maybe there's a bug involved. I have seen ants moving around on the inflos too. Are they attracted by sap? or by a sucking bug?

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

Never had a problem with bayer 3in1 on container Plumerias. I only sprayed in the evenings so perhaps others didn't follow that standard rule of thumb.

Dave, you can see thrips if you have relatively good eyesight. Borrow a magnifying glass from your little ones if you need to. they will typically be around the open blooms and buds. I have used the granules on houseplants but not on plumerias as its just easier to use the hose attachment and apply.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

I'm also wondering about how long does it take for the plant to absorb the Bayer to the level of toxicity required to kill off, or at least slow down, the sucking insects?

Do you do several applications of Bayer during the growing season? Once a month? Once a week?

Thanks!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

The Bayer 3-In-1 Insect, Disease & Mite Control is for use as a spray. It's approved for use on houseplants, but the actual spraying of the plant must be done outdoors. It has a systemic insecticide (imidicloprid) which is effective at extremely low concentrations, and offers effective knockdown of sap-feeding insects with sucking/rasping mouth parts as soon as it's applied. It also contains an effective systemic fungicide (tebuconazole) and a miticide, the name of which I forget, but it's something like Tau-fluvinate. To get the full effect of the insecticide and fungicide, you should do 3 applications at 2 week intervals. You don't need to be as careful about coating the whole plant when using the 3-in-1, as compared to topical contact insecticides, unless you're spraying for mites, but I make sure to cover all the undersides of leaves and get the spray into leaf axils anyway.

If you don't want to use the 3-in-1 spray, you can buy several brands of soil drenches with about 1.5% imidicloprid - 1.47% is the most common. Bayer, Fertilome, Martin's Dominion, Bonide, Ortho, Ultra-Stop, ...... all offer an imidicloprid soil drench you can use on plants indoors or outdoors, but you have to use your head. The neonicotinoids are known to have very low toxicity for mamals, but you don't want your pets/kids drinking out of a collection saucer under a plant you just poured an insecticide through.

My experience with the granular forms of imidicloprid you sprinkle on the soil have been poor - not so much for their effectiveness as an insecticide, but because of their effect on root health. I had a number of species of plants that had a scale problem a few years ago. I think I used Dragon or Marathon - anyway - a granular vehicle for the delivery of imidicloprid. It worked its way into the soil mass and killed localized areas of the root mass on several different species of woody plants.

Al

• citizen_insane
    9 years ago

OK guys,
    I am going to add my two cents. This is what I do. I have tried all kinds of things for rust. The most effective and readily available product for rust control is Bayer products that contain Tabuconazole. There is no need to spray early in the spring because there is no rust then. I spray twice during the growing season, in mid July and in mid September. My plants stay rust free all year. A few days before I spray I go around and cut off about 65% of the leaves (all the old ones). The reason for it is rust starts at the older leaves. It is therefore more effective to remove the old leaves and treat newer leaves. Second, you use less than half the amount of chemicals to get full leaves coverage.

There are three Bayer products that contain Tabuconazole: Bayer 3-in-1 with 0.65% Tabuconazole, Bayer Disease Control (for roses) with 2.9% Tabuconazole, and Bayer Azalea, Camellia, & Rhododendron Insect & Disease control with 1% Tabuconazole. Each of these products costs about $16.50 for 32 fluid ounces. As you can see, when it comes to treating rust, the Bayer Disease Control (for roses) is by far the most effective and contains 4.5 times the active ingredient amount than the Bayer 3-in-1 for the same price. You are paying a lot of money for the insect and mite control, which I found those products are not that effective. Besides plumerias are not bothered much by insects and mites. Occasionally you get some mites but they are so easy to kill with just Malathion. The plumeria leaves are smooth and Malathion is vey effective. Otho 100+ is very effective on whiteflies.
    So, I use Bayer Disease Control twice a year for rust and a mixture of Malathion and Ortho 100+ for insects and mites occasionally on demand when needed.

George

• powderpuff
    9 years ago

Citizen_Insane lots of good info in your post. I have been using the Bayer 3 in 1 and all I needed was the fungicide part for rust. Next time I will try the rose one. We have been dry and sunny so it's not an issue right now but it was in early July when we had 2 weeks of rain every day. I am sure it will rear it's ugly head again soon as the nights cool down and the dew increases. In FL rust on Plumerias is just a fact of life.

• User
    9 years ago

I use Organicide.
    Totally organic, safe for plants and people and pets, you simply spray it on.
    Sure, it smells a little, so do it outside.
    That stuff is great!
    Great for anything, even fleas in your lawn, really.
    Yea, when it comes to spraying my potted plants, I use something that won't hurt me either.
    PS, I also have pittosporum bushes, and you have to be careful with them, and organicide kills scale on them.
    And citrus too, it's amazing.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

We have had a mild but wet summer here, and this is the first year I have not had any rust at all. None. *knock on wood*

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

I use Bayer 3& 1

Works great!!

Laura

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner