Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rod_1965

how often do water after transplant in grown

rod_1965
13 years ago

I GOT MY FIRST PLUMERIA LAST FALL, ITS YELLOW AND WHITE 5 FEET TALL 35 POINTS... NOW THIS IS MY 1ST SUMMER WITH THE PLANT, AND THE NEW LEAVES WERE TURNING YELLOW BROWN AND BLACK, AND NOTICE THE SOIL WAS LIKE CLAY..NOW LIVING HERE IN GLENDORA CALIF I THOUGHT BEST TO PLANT IN GROUND, IM SURE I DID EVERY THING RIGHT,BUT SURE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW OFTEN I SHOULD WATER THIS AFTER THE NEW TRANS PLANT IN GROUND ?

Comments (7)

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

Plumerias will grow in clay in California but you want to avoid having it too wet, especially in the winter. I raise my plants above ground here and form like a volcano with the stalk coming out the top. I put dark river rocks on the volcano to prevent eroding the shape. I stake the plant to keep it stable. This has worked fine for me as I have about 33 in the ground that are 6'-10' tall and between 6 and 12 years old. Yours is probably a Celadine which can tolerate clay better than many others. Clay is the worst soil but because we have little rain, it is possible. Do not overwater. Clay takes long to dry.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• rod_1965
    Original Author
    13 years ago

RE tdogdad thanks for your follow-up, but i guess i left out the part saying that i transplanted from pot because the soil in pot was like clay,, now when i transplanted in ground,I dug out 3 feet wide x 3 1/2 deep put 4 bags catus mix soil and 25% ground soil mixed well then planted also put lava rock on top for cats wouldnt PPPP...but now with it being transplant with good drain soil how offten should i water now ? thank you and nice plumeria's there, can i have one :-)

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

It still is a good idea to raise the plant because when it does rain, your hole in the clay becomes a large swimming pool. I usually dump a bag of gypsum in the bottom of the hole as this will break up the bonds of the clay over time. Also, if you look around you can probably find pumice at a farm or nursery supply store which is excellent to mix 50% with your mix to give added quick drainage. I use 25% each of Big R, Turf n Tee, Pumice, and #4Perlite. I got the mix formula from Jack Morgan at Kimi's Plumeria in Corona and I like it very much. If you come near Costa Mesa, e-mail me and you can have a plant. Bill

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Bill...you are a great person!!!

Laura in VB

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

Thanks, but so are you Laura.

• chimaan
    13 years ago

Hey Laura,

If you drive around Glendora you'll see plenty of plumeria in the ground, if you just planted it, then its probably just going through a little shock. There is a big nursery right off the 210 on Grand that have plumeria. I guess what I'm saying is you should be okay.

• rod_1965
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Laura, I already called rainbow nursery but thought their info on plumeria was incorrect, they said that I need to plant were it only gets morning sun, and that if it got full afternoon sun, it will burn up.. now if my plumeria was young id think ok. but being 5 feet tall 35 points full sun would be best right ? and yes Bill has been great, and seems to be my go to guy now when ever i need info on my new plumeria...........thanks again Bill