Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafted cutting vs. cutting

Posted by carini 33710 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 12:53

Hi: I understand what a grafted cutting is.

I just don't understand why anyone would want to go to the trouble of grafting a stick, when a cutting would do just as well???

Does a grated plumeria cutting have the same exact color as the mother plant it was cut from?
Or, does it take on the characteristics of the plant it has been grafted on?

simply put: why would I prefer to start a stick from a grated cutting?

thank you
Angie...
idigplumeria
for the love of plumeria

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafted cutting vs. cutting

It shouldn't make much of a difference from the plant's perspective. It will bloom exactly as it was 'programed' to bloom -- like it's mother plant.

I suspect that growers who are adept at grafting (FC, for example) find that it's simply more cost-effective. Likely the plants take off much sooner than waiting around for 4-6 weeks for a cutting that may or may not root. I don't know.

I don't have a problem with grafted plants at all.

o

Grafting is very popular for those cultivars that are difficult to root. Or as Dave states for those who don`t want to wait on the plant to root.

Grafting plumeria, as other plants, has pros and cons, you can get mismatched grafts which restrict the growth of the tree, the graft takes over-this is fairly common in fruit trees, graft failure and other problems.

I have a friend who grafts about everything, I think he just likes grafting. I only have one grafted plumeria but no objection to them. I have several grafted citrus that do fine.
Tally HO!

o

Grafting is recommended for hard-to-root varieties, and those prone to black tip. The strong root stock of seedlings helps fussier plants to establish quickly and avoid some of the problems of a weaker root system.

o

OR..... your beloved grafted plant could get blown over on a windy rainy day and get broken right at the graft site leaving you to scramble looking for just the right tape that may hold it together and maybe heal and when you can't find that right tape inside the house then you have to rush outside to the shop in the pouring rain getting soak and wet only to realize that the break wasn't very clean and you probably should just go ahead and cut it completely off and start it as a cutting.

But you don't have the heart just yet.

o

Sometimes a grafted plant will bloom within the same year purchased, but rare. Of, six grafted plumeria purchased from FCN last year, none have bloomed yet. But, I have one Hurricane purchased in May of this year and bloomed in August.

Lonnie

o

I think its the expediency of grafting that makes it attractive to the sellers. I would assume that putting a cutting on top of an established root ball is like going from an old carburator to fuel injection on your engine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here