Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Named plumeria sold in San Antonio at Fanick's

honeybunny2 Fox
10 years ago

Fanick's Nursery is on the East side of San Antonio. I went with my husband to get the fall vegs. I noticed that they had large blooming plumeria next to the vegs. I went to check them out, and they were all named plumeria large plants for $49.99. Some were in bloom, I just couldn't believe it. They had a Kaneohe sunburst that was in bloom that was taller than me. I left there with a variegated plumeria, just beautiful foliage, he said the bloom is pink. Heck, since I can't get my plants to bloom, I might as well enjoy looking at the pretty leaves. They give a 10% discount for military. I carry Garys DD214, so we got the discount. Barbra

Comments (19)

• chuy415
    10 years ago

That's awesome Barb!!! Exciting to hear :-)

Chuy

• stampstudio73137 kemp
    10 years ago

Honeybunny2 can you post a picture of your new varigated plumeria? is it Maya?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My son took a picture with his camera for me. I can email it to you, just send me your email address. It is green and big splashes of white and has pink veins running thru it, the new growth has a pink cast to it. I left my cameras picture card at the coast. I had pictures of the baby shower made, and forgot to put it back in the camera. This plant is 25 inches tall from the soil line, not grafted, and was $25. I should have bought more, but I wasn't thinking. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill I sent a picture of it, but it was supersized. I hope you can figure out how to make it smaller, I couldn't. If you don't mind, could you post a picture so that everyone can see. I do not even own an iphone, my son took the picture for me. Thank you, Barbra

• stampstudio73137 kemp
    10 years ago

Honeybunny2 i have as yet to recieve the picture.
    Bill

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill, I sent it at 3:40pm, just retrieved it and sent it out again. Let me know if you get it. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill, look in your spam mail, that happened one time before to me. I might be there, I think the time was 3:42pm when I sent it. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am going to try something, to see if it works, here goes

• stampstudio73137 kemp
    10 years ago

3 emails none with any picture attachments. Also checked my McAfee folder and nothing there.
    Bill

• stampstudio73137 kemp
    10 years ago

Sure looks like Maya. want to sell it?
    I am looking for one of these.
    Bill

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill, it did not have a tag. I am not sure what a Maya is. This plant has pin stripped pink veins running thru the leaves every 1/4 inch. That what makes it so pretty. This doesn't show on the picture. My husband wanted to buy at least 2, but I didn't want to deal with young plants this late in the year. When I got home and saw that it was almost root bound, I wish I would have listened to him. Barbra

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Nice plant and what a bargain!!!
    Lonnie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just checked my plant is grafted below the soil line. I noticed that the other plants there were grafted, so I picked out this one thinking it was not. Today, I stuck my finger down below the soil, and sure enough it is also grafted. Whoever did the graft knew what they were doing. I still love it. My husband keeps talking about the foilage. They had a lot of variegated plants, that I had never seen before. Barbra

• stampstudio73137 kemp
    10 years ago

That is one reason i am very cautious about varigated plants ( A while back there was a friend of mine who keeps up on the latest plants and he said a lot of varigation in plants is being done with chemicals and lot of it in thailand. Just look at all the odd items never seen anywhere else except there and on Ebay. One item i really hate is those blue phalaenopsisi.orchids done with dye in the water. Well buyer beware.
    Bill

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gosh, my husband wanted to go back and buy some more of the variegated plumeria, so we did. They were still $22.50 with the military discount. I also picked up a 7 gallon xanthosoma atrovirens for $13.50., now that is a strange looking variegated plant. What is it with men and variegated plants? I have never seen him so excited about plants before. I checked on the named plumeria and the only names I recognized were Kaneoke sunburst, Red Lady, Cerise,and Maya Princess the other names I have never heard of before. Barbra

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Gary is a smart man :)

I bet those named plumies came from C Stars in CA. Sounds like you had a fun day!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jen you are right, I checked and the names I saw on those plants were the ones that C stars had listed. They buy from 2 different sellers, I don't know who the other one is, and the owner was not there to ask. They have a lot of unusual plants. They trade with you. I take them my large sago palm pups. I get credit in the spring, after the pups have rooted. Very generous credit. Barbra

• pcput
    10 years ago

What a great find, Barbra! You sure are lucky to have found it.
    Peg

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep, I think so. I was a little shocked when my husband when to the office and bought all the rest of these plants. I hate to buy anything this late in the season. We went back to buy another one, and they marked them up to $39.99, just repotted them to 3 gallon pots. He explainted to the owners wife, that we just bought one yesterday in a one gallon pot for $25, he told her that if he bought all the remaining plants from her could he get them for $25 each she said yes. So he bought the last 4. I thought we were going back for just one more. I was upset, because he did not even discuss this with me. I was just standing there waiting. He said he really likes them. I asked if I could sell any of them, and he said yes, but only one. He wants to plant 4 on the side of the house at the coast. That one is already spoken for. Barbra .

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022