Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

The last hurrah - show us your last blooms!

Here's JJ's premium yellow (which could be Xanadu). It's my only plumie with blooms.

Sorry for the crappy washed out, taken in full sun on my lunch break camera pic.

It's my current fav plumie scent. Lovely perfume fragrance.

California Sunset is about to open but with the cooler, cloudy weather we've been having and the shortening days it's taking forever for the petals to unfurl. I'll post a pic when they do.

So what beauties are blooming for you before winter shuts us down?

Care to share any pics? :)

-Robert

Comments (125)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I agree with James..Joan, that Butterfly Gold is gorgeous!!!

George.. love all of your pics!!! Lovely!!!

Please keep them coming...

Love to see these beauties!!!

Bill? Hope all is well in Costa.. love to see some of your beauties.. Please? : )

Laura

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Oh Sorry Simidude, lol. I should be wearing my glasses..lol
    SMDude send info regarding flower, size, scent, discription or pic of the backside.
    SM I am assuming since your zone 10 your in So Cal.

Thanks......

• georgecc
    11 years ago

No problem, James. I just got scared for a moment, thinking what pic did I post, and why are people suddenly asking about it? :) I had to do a double-take and realize there were two of us with somewhat similar names, but if I go with George, there are a bunch of Georges on this forum, too! So I guess we all have to get out glasses on when we get to this site! LOL

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    11 years ago

Well here are a few from Southern California along the coast. A warm end of summer that still remains unseasonably hot. All pictures from the last 4 or 5 days.

Thumbalina:

JJ Inner Peace:

]

Double Singapore with Thortons's Lemon Drop in the background:

Irma 5:

Samoan Fluff:

Jeannie Moragne:

Wildfire:

And finally Pretty Princess... first year I ever got any decent flowers despite the fact the tree is not looking the happiest:

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Beautiful!

• Kimo
    11 years ago

MJ,
    Love them all!! I think though of the bunch Pretty Princess is my fav!! Thanks for the show...

• joanr
    11 years ago

James,

I bought my Bonnie Fox from Florida Colors and it is actually showing more color now than when I took the picture.

My Butterfly Gold is just beautiful. The pictures do not do it justice. I go out and just stand and look at it.

I have a few more that are blooming that I will have to post pictures of.

And by the way James I am in love with all your blooms. It seems like you are always posting a pic of something I have never seen or heard of and I just sit and drool all over my computer :)

Laura,

Thanks for the compliment. I do love the Butterfly Gold. If you ever get a chance to get one, I would definitely recommend it. And I just love your Miami Rose and Hilo Beauty. My Hilo is just a cutting so hopefully in a year or two I will have blooms also!

Joan

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Joan,
    You out plumied me as I did not even know that Luc FC had Bonnie Fox, thought it was still only being sold by Matt and Suki..lol Thanks for the show again and cant wait to see more .
    Cheers

• joanr
    11 years ago

James,

Too funny, I don't think anyone can "out plumie" you. I got my Bonnie Fox, Butterfly Gold, Clare Corre and Japanese Lantern from Luc & Carol (FC) and all but Japanese Lantern have bloomed and are excellent plants. I just looked at my Japanese Lantern yesterday and saw it is pushing up an info but don't know if it will bloom before we have to put them in the greenhouse - 1st part of November here.

I'll try to get my other photos posted soon. Love to look at everyones blooms so it is nice to share mine too.

Joan

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Sometimes I just sit here in awe as I can not even imagine having all those gorgeous flowers. Yes, I have the plants, just can't imagine them blooming like I see in all the photos you guys post. It's unbelievable! LOL

joan - Thanks so much for posting your pics.
    I also got my Bonnie Fox from FC, grafted. Can't remember where I had originally seen the first photo of BF but I thought it was stunning and had to have it. Lo and behold, there it was when Carol updated their website! I'm going to keep this one in the greenhouse at work this winter and hopefully shorten her dormant period.

Do you remember the Raspberry Sundae photo that Jen posted from the PSA sale? Yours is an exact replica! It was another one that I had to have, so I purchased mine from Brad. Hopefully next year it will bloom and my North Carolina climate will give me the same look. Gorgeous! :)

James - a couple of months ago when I was whining about how badly I was wanting Musk Rainbow, you convinced me that it is a must have. But at the time I had a hard time obtaining it so it's tops on my list for next year.

Great photos everyone!

• joanr
    11 years ago

Mona,

I didn't think my Bonnie Fox would bloom this year. It was just a stick last year so don't give up hope. It should bloom next year for you!

My Raspberry Sundae was beautiful when it bloomed but I was disappointed that it did not bloom longer. Some of my plummies have been blooming since Spring (Slaughter Pink, Dalat Girl, Salmon Brown) but this one only lasted a short time. But it was also the first time it bloomed so hopefully it will bloom again next year and last longer.

Joan

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow I love Butterfly Gold (I think I bought a plant, not blooming though) and Raspberry Sundae!

What do BG and RS smell like?? :)

• joanr
    11 years ago

Lynn,

My husband and I smell differently. I can't smell Butterfly Gold but he said it is a sweet smell so I know it does smell and my sister also said it smelled sweet. (They look at me like what is wrong with you but my sinuses keep me from smelling sometimes). Now there are others that I can smell that he doesn't smell - go figure.

I don't remember what Raspberry Sundae smelled like. I will have to ask him when he gets home.

But their beauty definitely makes up for any smell and these are two of the prettious ones I have seen. That they smell good too just makes them that much better to me!

Joan

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Thank you Joan!

I have BG so I hope she will bloom for me next year. Raspberry Sundae is on my list to get next spring. Thanks for the report. :)

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Mark, I'm not sure what your two photos are. It's very difficult to tell from one photo, though the white looks quite distinctive. The second one looks like it could be one of a dozen different plumies.

Joan--hubba, hubba! Fantastic collection you have! Of course BG is a knockout along with RS, but I also loved the Duke and My Valentine. In fact, some of them like Madame Poni, Clare Corre and MV look textbook-perfect. Hope the new PSA database project can use them!

Dang it, I need a bigger yard! Love the way you've clustered your plunged pots together.

MJ, how is it all yours look so, well, leafy? Like they're all very heavily branched. There doesn't seem to be a gangly plant in your bunch. Beautiful! Especially Irma 5 and Wildfire. Waiting for my Wildfire to grow has been like watching a glacier melt.

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Today, I had flowers open on a new inflo in my mystery red plumeria (Gina?). This inflo looks better than the last (the flowers got very small and didn't last long in the previous inflo, which actually is still going).

These are big wide flowers.

I was surprised to find out that my Mardi Gras, which I didn't expect to bloom this year, has an inflo. And Hilo Beauty started blooming last week. Kaneohe Sunburst is still at it big time. And I have a Guillot's Sunset that should start blooming shortly. Still lots of the plumies are blooming as some are wrapping up for the year.

I made my first leis this week. It was easier than I thought, and took less flowers than I thought, which was good (I didn't think I'd have enough for one, but I was able to make two). Used mostly Lani's Beauty with Wildfire and Bali Gold. And some Rainbow 36.

But Kauka Wilder is on its last flower, and Katie and Kimi Moragne are almost done. My (possible) Pop's Red (my second favorite whatever it is) is having it's last hurrah - one last flower, opening tonight. This is my first year, I've never known what to expect. About 30 plumies are blooming right now, but it is starting to get colder.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

SCORE! If that's Gina--heck, even if it isn't Gina--that is one gorgeous bloom on your mystery red! Maybe the seller confused "Jeannie" with "Gina".

Must have been some beautiful leis with that color combo you put together. Way to start off your obsession with a bang, George!

Jen

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Thanks, Jandey. It's a six foot tree, not too many branches. I can't stop staring at these blooms. I remember how disappointed I was when it turned out it wasn't a Jeannie M. Not disappointed any more. I got seven trees and a cutting from this seller (one car trip, very full car), and even the cutting turned out to be something different. Next year, hopefully, the two that haven't opened will open. Could be anything, so I'm ready for a surprise! All the surprises have been very good.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Yep! love em all.

great job everyone. Mine are done for the year. most have had their hair cut for storage. Even thought they go in the greenhouse I helps make more room and cut down on bugs.

I do have one lone delightful flower that keeps looking and smelling great.

Joan,

your plumeria patch is amazing!!

Mike

• joanr
    11 years ago

Wow George your mystery red is beautiful. I love the color and the shape of the flower. I would be very happy with a mystery like that!!!

Joan

• Minderella
    11 years ago

I am enjoying everyones flowers. Today my "lani's beauty" opened up to be a yellow flower so not sure what it is really.

Mindy

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All these flowers are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing, everyone!
    I wonder if I can eke out my season with my Phet Pachara growing under lights in the evening? :)
    Every day I watch my little inflo. Laugh.

-Robert

Original Author
    11 years ago

I did harvest a bloom from my old faithful, California Sunset, growing in the not so brightly lit basement. :)
    It smells like peaches. Love.

-Robert

11 years ago

Robert

glad you got to enjoy that one before the cold snap. How cool you have a new inflo! All mine got a hair cut except for my Delightful and my White NOID. My NOID bloomed this time last year so I hoping it will do it again. Everything is in the garage for now until I can get them moved to the new greenhouse. Crazy that we are going back into the 80's by the weekend.

here is the lone delightful flower that has been open for a couple weeks now. still smells pretty good.

mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Delightful looks awesome! I hate it that I have to wait until I get home to see Photobucket pics. Laugh.
    I probably will have to wait at least a month before my Phet Pachara might bloom.

-Robert

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

weve just come into blooming season i believe here in far north QLD australia. My plants are all quite young so i dont know if i will get any blooms. I hope i do. I have a white and yellow and an australian fruit salad. I gave my mother a white and yellow also. Id love a sunset or peach coloured one but have never seen them in the shops here...would probably have to buy seeds or rooted cuttings online. I saw one labled dragons blood today with a very dark pinky red flower...was quite nice looking...tempting :P It was great looking at everyones beautiful pics though...i have been a silent forum follower here at Plumeria for awhile while busy posting over at the Adenium forum. :P thought id come out of the shadows and say something :P

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Welcome! Nice to hear from Australia!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Always great to be reminded that the growing season is just starting for some folks while ours is winding down. :)
    I hope you get some blooms this year and score some cool finds!

DelWH,

I keep reading about how great Duke's scent is...I might just have to put it on my wish list. ;)

-Robert

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Sbrow, have you seen this website: Sunshine Coast Frangipani? They have Penang Peach, which is a favorite for many of us. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunshine Coast plumerias

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Waiting for CA Sunset to open!!! Hurry up, already!!!
    Lonnie

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

Oh wow...thanks for that link. Great website...and yes ill be sure to post if i do get some blooms this season :)

Sarah

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I got a first bloom on my Kaneohe Sunburst today!!! The lighting wouldn't let my camera capture the deepness of the pink and I had to make sure you could see the yellow to orange center - this bloom is amazingly saturated with color, the picture doesn't do it justice. I have another bud to open soon but I didn't want to miss this one.
    {{gwi:1207450}}

A bit dark but the pink is even darker than that!
    {{gwi:1207451}}

I'll see if I can get a more accurate color on this bud or the next, it was raining and overcast, getting dark. This one is HIGH up on my list of favorites. It smells wonderful too, and to me it smelled like classic plumeria with a little bit of coconut or something just a tad extra.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

OHHHHH Emily..

BEAUTIFUL!!!

I just love the colors!!! Huge smiles here on that one!!!

Congratulations!!!

Sarah... Welcome to the Plumeria Forum!!

I did see you post over at the DR forum and i appreciate the kind comments on my thread. Ill b there later to post under you!! I also hope you see blooms soon!

Please keep posting... it is nice to see you here!!

Take care everyone!!

Jen.. just in case you missed my post about Kimi.. She is grafted.. I was having a moment when i was out on a trip and i was thinking of Katie.. she is not ggrafted.. but Kimi is. I bought her from FC. LOVE HER!!

Night all,

Laura

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's my 'Come on, already!' Laugh.
    I've got today and tomorrow before the cold front hits.
    I've been growing my Phet Pachara outside in the sun during the warm days and under the fluorescent lights at night and it has paid off. Any day now it will open...right? :)
    My hope is it will open outside while it's warm and not inside. I'm growing it for the fragrance and I know the best fragrance will be outside but I'll take whatever I can get. ;)

-Robert

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Robert, I think I'm almost as excited to see those blooms as you are! The buds look intriguing. Your plants in the background look great, too.

Bracing for the cold front tomorrow night. Elucas warned me winds will be up to 30mph here. Would probably help if I turned on the t.v. to check the weather every now and then!

Original Author
    11 years ago

We're both excited! :)
    Yes. I love the dark pink forming on the buds. I doubt it will open outside with the fast moving cold front coming our way. It's currently out on the back deck however I'll move it back under the lights inside at lunch since our temps are supposed to plummet. :(
    Sucks cuz I have several blooms on my California Sunset (I picked one to bring to work with me). Guess I'll give it a haircut tonight before shoving it down in the basement.
    Yesterday I noticed a tiny inflo developing on my Dwarf Deciduous White. I plan on growing it under the lights in the basement. Hopefully I can keep the inflo until next year. :)

I also have a gigantic Betty Marshall Brugmansia in full bloom growing in the ground that I'll have to cut back and dig up come tomorrow. Looks like we have a busy weekend ahead!

-Robert

11 years ago

well Delightful wont quit blooming. I tried to get it to go to sleep in the garage but it wont do it. Oh well, LOL
    looks like its making a seedpod also.

yep thats the christmas tree behind it, Haha.

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! She's blooming her head off! Congrats. :)

-Robert

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Mike that's an impressive inflo! looks like it's a reliable seeds producer too.

I have a "last hurrah" I'd like to add. I bought this rooted plant 2 weeks ago. There were a lot of buds on the original stock photo but by the time the plant made it to me, most of buds had broken off :(

I've always wanted to smell the fragrant from Vera Cruz Rose. I had hope that the inflo on this plant would last me through a couple of a months in the winter time. I guess it's not going to happen.

Fuzzy's photo listing:

My VCR as of Sunday (10/28/2012)

I really enjoy the fragrant from this bloom. The plant is also very robust! This makes it even more exciting to look forward to see her in full bloom again!

Kenny

11 years ago

Robert, Kenny. Those are some great plants you have there. VCR is one I would like to get.

Looks like us Okies can grow some plumeria, LOL.

I was at Southwood yesterday and they still have that big Scentsational. One of you needs to get it so I can quit thinking about it. $40 isnt too bad for the size of it.

Mike

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Mike,

VCR's very fragrant and smells just like a rose. Even with just this single bloom I can still detect faint whiff of it from a distance. I know a vendor in Oahu who sells VCR cutting for $16. If you want it, let me know and I'll be happy to pick one up for you when I'm there.

Wow!! that Scentational is still there? I kinda wanted to get it last month but it wasn't on sale. $40 seems reasonable enough! :) Did you see that giant plumeria plant I found in the Asian market around here? Could it be a promising sign plumerias will soon be available in our state? LOL

Kenny

Original Author
    11 years ago

Dang it! Now I want VCR. :P

Went to Southwood today around 5pm and didn't see the Scentsational. Kenny, did you finally drive up and grab it? :)

-Robert

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Oh no! I was going to do it next weekend. I guess you saved me a trip Robert! Lol

Kenny

Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe it's stashed away in some corner that only Mike knows about! :)

-Robert

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Hi Robert,

I called them as soon as they opened today and inquired about the plumeria. It was still there! I sent my friend to get it for me. I'm now a proud owner of JJ Scentsational ;)

Kenny

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yay! I'm glad someone who will truly appreciate it got it! :)

-Robert

11 years ago

Hey guys. I guess i missed this over the weekend but Im glad to see you got it Kenny. It has pretty good shape too.

Robert

It was tucked in with all the succulents in the north west greenhouse kinda pushed up against the wall.

We really need to get with them around February or so and see if we can put in a request for types. We might even be able to pre-order.

My Inca Gold I got finally gave up so Ill be looking to replace it with another yellow for sure.

Mike

• pcput
    11 years ago

Yeaaaaa Kenny! Congrats on your "Scentsational"
    I glad someone finally decided to get it. Peg

• pcput
    11 years ago

Here's the next step of the cotton process. Making bales and going to the cotton gin. It looks like snow on the roads from moving them. You can see how big the bales are. They are like small simi trailers and they move them one to a load. Peg

{{gwi:1207455}}

{{gwi:1207456}}

{{gwi:1207457}}

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars271 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz