Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The last hurrah - show us your last blooms!

Posted by robert1971 7a OK (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 13:49

Here's JJ's premium yellow (which could be Xanadu). It's my only plumie with blooms.
Sorry for the crappy washed out, taken in full sun on my lunch break camera pic.
It's my current fav plumie scent. Lovely perfume fragrance.

California Sunset is about to open but with the cooler, cloudy weather we've been having and the shortening days it's taking forever for the petals to unfurl. I'll post a pic when they do.

So what beauties are blooming for you before winter shuts us down?
Care to share any pics? :)

-Robert

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The last hurrah - show us your last blooms!

Nice last hurrah there Robert! Lucky you can visit your plumies on your lunch break!! I really don't want winter to come.

I don't have any pics yet but I have inflos growing on my Kimi Beauty, Kaneohe Sunburst, Loretta and a Mystery!!! I'm SO excited, can't wait to see the blooms!!! My Divine has bloomed profusely, non-stop since I got it.

o

Awesome! I hope you take pics when they do bloom! How long do you predict before they'll open? CS is taking forever. Laugh.

Visiting the plumies on my lunch break is just an added perk of going home and walking the dog. :)

-Robert

o

JJ Mini Devine. Definately not last Hurrah yet for me but here is a new bloomer for me. Very nice and fragrant but the flowers seem short lived. Maybe because its the first time to bloom and still young.
Photobucket

o

Robert we'd love to see pics of your CS when it finally opens too! I don't know how long my inflos will take to mature and open - is there a normal time frame?! As Jen would say, probably a few "ohcomeonalready"s!! I'll try and take some pics, maybe you guys can give me an idea.

kms2 - congrats on the 1st time blooms! My Divine is well established, but I got it a few months ago and I swear this plant has had huge bunches of flowers on it the entire time - it's crazy! I haven't noticed how long they last because there's always so many of them. But they do have a lot of scent, which is really nice, I like it. I bet yours will do the same as it gets older - how old is your plant?

o

Beautiful pics of Divine! I'm starting to regret giving this one away since the scent wasn't that strong for me however the friend I gave it to was about to give up on plumerias since her NOID never bloomed. Hopefully Divine will pump out the blooms for her! :)

Checked my CS when I got home and it still hasn't opened. Laugh.

-Robert

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 19:48

Looks great Robert! My CS is opening about 1 a week. Its quite interesting because its a lot more yellow then before. Tommorow morning is supposed to be chilly. Might be in the 40's out south. Southwood still has that scentsational ;)

Mike

o

I'm expecting my CS to have yellowish blooms like when we first got them in late May.
Can't believe you haven't broken down and picked up that Scentsational. Thought you needed a duplicate? ;)

I've been moving my plumies underneath the arbor at night. Probably not needed but figured it couldn't hurt. I think it's going to be really cold this weekend. :(

-Robert

o

Hurricane is still blooming, Temptation and Divine just dropped thier last blooms. The California Sunset has three inflo's, I hope it will bloom before the colder weather gets here in a few weeks. It was 54 this morning, but will be back to highs in the low 90's by tomorrow.
Lonnie

o

JJ's Temptation in August.
Lonnie

o

Lonnie,

I love the dark red centers! I read online it has a sweet, fruity scent? Thanks for sharing. Looks like we're both hoping our California Sunsets will bloom before the frosts! I checked this morning but mine still haven't unfurled. I've got two inflos however one is just emerging. I'm hoping the inflos don't drop over winter while the plant is dormant. :)

-Robert

o

This is my first bloom since I got into Plumerias.
FIRST BLOOM OF DIVINE

o

Minderella,

Congrats! It's beautiful. Do you know its name? How does it smell?

-Robert

o

You picked a real good one for the first one. Beautiful.

o

Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 19:24

Here is my California sunset as of today. Nights have been in the low 50's. Amazing how it looks so different then when its hot.

Back when it was in the 100's

Mike

o

That's just crazy, Mike! Could it be any more different?

o

Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 19:49

I know im amazed. Its like having 2 totally different plants

Mike

o

Mike!

You're just showing off. My CS is gonna bloom one of these days and they'll no doubt be yellow. Laugh.
I do like its chameleon qualities!

-Robert

o

Jim Little says that flower shapes and colors can change all season long and geographic location can make a big difference also. A flower can look a certain way in one area and completely different in another area.

o

Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 21:57

Robert your funny! Yours will open soon. We got some warm days ahead so it should look great!

Mike

o

It's funny because I like both the yellow and the red streaked versions. It does seem to be a pretty cool plumie.
I'm sure I'll get some blooms soon!

DelWH,

That's one of the qualities I like best about plumerias...that they look a little different for everyone. :)

-Robert

o

Speaking of chameleon qualities, Mardi Gras is one that comes to mind with such a wide range of color differences.

o

Pictures! ;)

o

YEA !!!!! Minderella Your first bloom. Good for you. If you were not addicted before you will be now :) Peg

o

It is Divine
mindy

o

Hello Everyone,

Great thread Robert!!

Love all of the pics from all of you...

Here are a few of mine as of last week. I still have a few that are ready to open. My Kimi Moragne will be open by the time i get home..so im excited about that one..

Recent blooms..

Miami Rose
Miami Rose

Noid White.. Smells like sweet honey!
Noid White

Hilo Beauty

Hilo Beauty

California Sunset

Photobucket

Backyard shot ..top
Back yard

Just for fun.. Picture of Cotton Fields.. Thought some might like to see them.

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

Hope everyone is doing well..

Im back to work now... : (

It chilly up north.. Brrrr.. I can't wait to get back to VA!!! : )

Laura

o

Laura,

Thank you for the beautiful pics! Of course I'm jealous of all your blooms. ;)
I love the Miami Rose and the Hilo Beauty!
Please post pics and let us know what you think about Kimi Moragne's scent. It's on my wish list. :)
Are these cotton fields near you?

Mike,

Did you notice her CS looks completely different from ours? Weird. :)

-Robert

o

The Miami Rose is looking better all the time, Laura. Great shot.

o

Hi Robert,

Thanks!!

Those cotton fields were at the border of NC and VA. I took those pics when i was heading up from seeing my daughter. They have many fields of Soybeans, Cotton, Tobacco and Corn. I tried to find some Tobacco, but i would have had to go off the main hwy. This is about 60 miles from my home. Lots of crops just a little west of us from the beach. My DH will be off in the fields "opening season" so he will be seeing some other interesting crops. I will ask him to take some pics if he sees anything...

I have always been facinated at cotton. Thought some might like to see it as it is grown in its natural fields. Lots of Cotton Processing plants around too.

I will let you know about Katie Moragne. This was one that i wanted and i have been waiting for a long time for this one to finally grace me with the beauty of an inflo..

Pics when i get home.. for you!!! : )

That CS has changed so many times with the heat in my area. That was the deepest color that i had on the CS this summer. I noticed that some of the other blooms have lightened up in just one week. It sure is amazing how these blooms respond to heat, humidity. That is why it is so much fun to see the same vareity around all parts of the country. You always have such a difference in the coloration of the bloom.

Jperilous.. Thank you as well. Miami Rose has been blooming all summer and the inflos have lasted longer than any other Plumeria that i have. This one just wants to keep going...

Take care,

Laura

o

• Posted by No-Clue So Cal Zone 10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 16:27

Wildfire
Wildfire... still pretty light. But it's a very young plant so hopefully it will be more intense when it's older.

Scentsational
Scentsational only a few flowers left... but fragrance is still very strong!

Thumbalina
Thumbalina is still going strong although it has major sun burnt leaves.

Thumbalina
Thumbalina... still very beautiful.

Samoan Fluff
Thumbalina pushing a new inflo!

Christina
Christina should be done blooming soon.

Inca Gold
Inca Gold still going strong.

Divine
Divine blooming on every tip still. If you look closely a NEW inflo is growing in the back... so two infos on ONE tip in the same year?? Is that even normal??

Divine
Divine might be small but she's a performer.

Samoan Fluff
Samoan Fluff... gorgeous white blooms with strong fragrance.

Photobucket
She too is pushing a new inflo! I guess they don't want to go to sleep yet.

Katie M
Kimi M is about done...

Katie M
The last of my Kimi M.

Hong Kong
Hong Kong... gifted to me by a very special friend. :) I love how delicate she looks and oh the fragrance is awesome as well!

Hong Kong
Hong Kong... she's a keeper alright.

Elsie
Elsie... my sweet Elsie.

Photobucket
Elsie doing something strange. This inflo is almost done blooming. But then she decided to grow a new tip in the middle of the inflo! I have never seen anything so strange!

Photobucket
My own Lei Ring!! :)

Starting from the HUGE pink flower going to the right...

Charlotte Ebert
Thumbalina
Samoan Fluff
Elsie
Henry Apple Dunpree
JL Red
Rhonda
CA Sunset
Star of Siam
I don't remember this one. :(
Rhonda
Divine
Inca Gold
Scentsational
Elsie

o

Hey Lynn,
Beautiful!!! Love your Lei shaped holder where did u get it from?? Did you get your Metallica??

o

Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 19:13

James... aha I got something you don't have. Woohoo... do you like? Should I get one for you? What color though... he has black or green. Let me know and I'll grab one for you.

Yes I got my Metallica TODAY as a matter of fact. I'm stoked!! Matt left some leaves on it for me but some of the roots broke off. But I think it still has enough to survive though. Right now it's sitting in some water w/ ST and Vit B1. Since it's super hot here AGAIN today I'm going to have to wait on potting her up until later this evening. I can't be outside on the patio now... it's still like triple digits out there. How are you coping with this crazy heat?

o

Laura - as always, your photos are spectacular!

Cotton... I'm getting a headache already just thinking about them spraying the defoliant. There is no escaping it around my house.

Lynn - you are one lucky girl to be able to start your addiction in a location where you can go get what you want whenever you want! I'm so jealous!

Your lei ring is gorgeous! should I ever have enough blooms to warrant having one, i will keep it in my kitchen and sniff all day long! :)

I would like to have your opinion on Inca Gold scent. Just over the last few days I've read what others have been saying, some that they can't detect scent, others can. How is it to your nose?

And also Henry Apples Dupree... the color of the flower is really not that appealing to me but I remember you saying the scent is awesome. The shape of your flower is somewhat different than what Matt's pic shows. I do like his pic, though. And I love the story that goes with it. I wish he would stop posting those sweet stories that makes potential buyers feel like they just -have- to have it! LOL

If you don't mind, please fill me in on the growth habit of your Elsie. Does she give the impression that she will remain a small compact plant? Describe her scent if you will.

I like your Hong Kong. Have you had many other 6 petal flowers? Congrats on your Metallica!

o

Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 20:27

Thank you Mona!

Inca Gold smells like classic Plumeria to me. Almost like Celadine. It's medium scent so not as strong as Scentsational... but I like it a lot.

So far what I have noticed is that almost all of JJ's plants bloom the longest. For example... my Mary Helen Eggenberger while beautiful only bloomed for month. Where as Thumbalina, Divine, Elsie, J105, Rhonda, CA Sunset, Whirlwind, Christina, Wizard etc... are still blooming since April!! Not only that but JJ's plants are not leggy and they split a lot. Take Christina for example... I had 3 branches... now one branch split into 3 tips and the other two have two tips each. So going from 3 tips in April to 7 now while staying pretty short is very impressive! J105 was a one tip plant is now 3. Rhonda is still blooming gorgeous flowers. Sometimes I wonder if they will stop and go dormant.

Mona, I love Henry Apples Dupree!! The flowers smell so fresh and sweet.

As for Elsie, I do have one complaint against her. She has short tips and produces tons of flowers/foliage so she always looks crowded to me. LOL. I'm always trying to re-arrange her foliage so her flowers are not squished. She also is a good splitter but not a taller grower, at least not yet anyway. My Elsie has a light floral fragrance. So if you don't mind crowded looking tips then I would recommend her as well.

Hong Kong looks a lot better in person. I love how delicate looking she is. What a lady. So far all my flowers have six petals? Why is she not supposed to have 6 petals? Oh and Hong Kong has a beautiful fragrance as well!! I love her too.

Yes very exciting about Metallica. I waited forever for her. So happy she made it here safe and sound. Now let's hope I don't mess her up or something crazy!

o

Lynn - don't have time to respond fully to your post but just wanted to say that I meant other varieties than Hong Kong. I have not yet had a 6 petal flower. Other cultivars will sometimes throw a 6 petaler. :)

o

Hey Lynn,
Congrats on your Metallica!!! You have time, probably till end of November. I think your Metallica will be fine.
As for the Lei Ring, I normally do not pick flower, usually I cut the whole inflo if I want to take it with me, like an inflo flower arrangement. Thanks for the offer though!!!

Actually its been mild here in LA, my patch was 78 yesterday and at my house it was like 82 today... Tanks again!!!

o

Thanks for all the beautiful flowers, everyone!

Laura,

Can't wait for the Kimi Moragne pics. Thank you!

Lynn,

I see you also have KM.
Your thoughts on its scent...or should I look through your older posts? ;)

My Inca Gold definitely had a sweet scent. The scent intensified after being picked which was cool.

-Robert

o

A first and last. lol First inflo of Carmen of a cutting from Aloha Plumeria.

o

Another one. This Lavander Splash didn't start blooming until the other 7 I got in June were almost finished.

o

Beautiful pics, guys! Lots of nice late summer blooms out there.

Lynn, I'm amazed at how well all your JJ's are producing new inflos and secondary blooms. Also appreciate your comments on scent.

Unfortunately, of over 60(!) plants, only one is still blooming for me.

Yep, Lemon Drop, which I will henceforth refer to as The Big Yellow Beast:
TLD inflo after

Okay, so it's not a photo of the latest blooms, but you get the idea.

o

All these pics are making me jealous. Laugh.
I went over to a friend's house last night and sniffed her lone flower of California Sunset. It smelled awesome. Can't wait for my blooms to open!

DelWH,

I've never had a cutting do that! Looks strange to see flowers with no leaves.

Jen,

At least you've got one blooming though that does suck to have that many trees and only have 1 with blooms. Laugh.

I wish Lynn would do a top 10 for her favorite plumerias for scent and try and give a scent description! :)

-Robert

o

Checked on my California Sunset at lunch before walking the pooch and discovered a couple of blooms had aborted before opening. Wah!
Hopefully I'll get some to open before the end of the season.
If not I can always enjoy looking at everyone's beautiful pics! :)

-Robert

o

Thanks for posting all these beautiful blooms. And to think the winter no bloom blues is right around the corner. I have to live through your blooms.
Laura-you need to get a follow up to the cotton and show the HUGH bales going to the gin and it looks like it's snowing. If you think hay bales are big, don't compare to cotton. Peg

o

Everyone's pictures are amazing. I always get sad come Sept Oct as I know the seasons near an end. On the other had I am glad I do not really have to worry about watering the plumies or cleaning up after them..lol

Lynn,
Hong Kong is known as a 6 petal plumeria and even will have 7 or 8 at times. So 6 is her norm. Post a pic of your Metallica when you can

o

Here in southern Ventura County, there are still a lot of flowers blooming. Some are on their last flowers, some are just starting.

Photobucket

Guillot's Sunset, like the man himself, is still going strong. A new inflo is ready to open its first bloom.

Photobucket

Hilo Beauty should be opening it's first bloom this week, too. The following are still going strong:

Lani's Beauty has more blooms than ever, and they're bigger, pinker, and more dramatic.

Photobucket

Kimi Moragne and My Valentine are still at it:

Photobucket

Photobucket

The biggest surprise is what was supposed to be a Maui Beauty. It started blooming first, and is still at it, with two inflos of non-stop flowers. It kills me that I accidentally broke off a third inflo when I was placing it. Does anybody have any idea what this is? Big 4" blooms, really long lasting, always blooming, fragrant and beautiful. I wonder if it can be a Moragne? If anyone knows, I'd love to hear. This is a great one.

Photobucket

Dean Conklin (with a plumie protector mantis) is still at it.

Photobucket

These are winding down - California Sunset and Katie Moragne. Two of my favorites.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And a yellow and white is still at it (all three yellow and white trees I have - don't ask!), in front of a wall of passionfruit flowers, with banana and plantain behind it and young Majestic palm and a young California Coconut palm (just off frame) on the side.

Photobucket

Here are the heartbreaks. Kauka WIlder has a lone flower. I put her behind a window that I can open it anytime and smell the coconut suntan lotion scent. There are a couple of little buds following it, but her days of giant clumps of fragrant blooms are gone for the year.

Photobucket

Here is the biggest heartbreak. I got this as a Pop's Red, and suspect it's not, but it's my second favorite flower. Why? The cameras (I've tried three differnt ones) totally fail to capture the color on this big beautiful blossom. It's like crimson and deep deep magenta on velvet petals. WIth all the pinks and reds I have, this one beckons from across the yard and you can't miss it. One bloom now and maybe two or three more left. I'll miss this one. It's about 6 feet tall, not too many branches. Can't wait till it's a huge tree, it will be a stunner. It even has it's own plumie protector outside the pic - a giant orange spider. (I know, that's for the plumie protector thread, I'll add a pic of this guy to that thread soon!)

Photobucket

My Jeannie M.s are slowing down. Lucky I have three (I promise I'll explain sometime, I didn't plan three), but I will miss these soon.

Photobucket

And finally, with the last Jeannie flowers, I couldn't help but get another plumie protector in the shot, cause I know he's gonna miss them too.

Photobucket

o

Wow Simi! Those are all some gorgeous blooms. I have a few of those cultivars rooting now so am really looking forward to next spring.

o

DelWH, you're in for a real treat when those flowers open.

o

Another cutting from Aloha Plumeria. A first and last bloom. LOL Aloha calls it a Duke Rainbow, MPG just calls it Duke. It starts out this solid color and they say it will become multicolor later. Has a very nice sweet smell.

o

The Duke has an inflo with at least 30 or so buds.

o

Second day bloom of Carmen with deeper colors. This is from the rooting cutting from Aloha Plumerias.

Photobucket

o

none of mine, or anyone in my area has blooms this awesome! Emerson had very few blooms.
Tally HO!

o

Here are the blooms (and some new seed pods) from the season so far:

P9130012
Katie M seed pod

P9170015
seedling (sold as Kauka Orange Donald)

P8100013
EWC#3

P9180018
EWC#3 seed pod

P8280009
Aloha seedling (smells wonderful!!)

P8190002
Mele Matson seedling

P8100004
IP Peach seedling

P8100006
Polynesian Sunset

P8100009
J105 (love both the look and smell of this one)

P8090001
IP Peach seedling

P7310036
Katie Moragne

DSCN4443
Aztec Gold

DSCN4444
seedling (sold as Kauka Orange Donald)

DSCN4445
Celadine (excellent bloomer)

P7160003
Orange Zest

DSCN4127
Kimo (first bloom - it darkened up on other inflos)

astrl

o

WOW, fantastic blooms everyone!!! Here are my late surprises, well...almost! I'll have to update you when they are ready.

Kimi Beauty:
Photobucket

Kaneohe Sunburst:
Photobucket

Mystery - I can't wait to see what it is!!!
Photobucket

Loretta:
Photobucket

o

Love all of the pics!!!

Here are a few of my Kimi Moragne that opened a few days ago..

Take care,

Laura

kimi Moragne

Photobucket is not working properly... i tried to add some other pics.. and it iss messinng up... so here is one. i will post tomorrow..

Laura

o

Laura,
Loving the K Morange... Looks like your plumies are still going strong for you. Thanks for sharing

o

I love all the photos! Thanks, everyone!

Laura,

You didn't mention Kimi Moragne's scent. ;)

My California Sunset is finally opening. Woo hoo!

Phet Pachara is just starting to push up an inflo.
Very excited about this one however I doubt I'll see blooms this year. :(
Still I'm bringing it inside at night and growing it under a fluorescent light just in case. Laugh.

-Robert

o

Hi Guys!!!

Thanks James!!

My trees are still going strong and i have many new inflos.. My Kimi is wanting to open even more and i have to leave tomorrow.. darn...

Divine is getting ready to open new blooms as well as Taj Mahal. I am so excited about these and the Hong Kong is growing well too! Mahalo!!

Robert.. I will post some more pics.. hopefully PhotoBucket will work a little better for me tonight. It was having issues last night and i just gave up.

Here are some more pics...

Kimi Moragne
Photobucket
Kmi Moragne
back railing
plumeria protector
Back yard

Robert.. I an going out right now and take another check on the scent... just for you!!

Ok.. Im back!! : ) It smells right now of a very fragrant sweet perfume scent. I wish i could describe it better than that, but it just has this wonderful sweet scent.

Im sure the neighbors are wondering about me again!! LOL.. it is after midnight and i am outside smelling flowers with my flashlight!!! LMAO!!!

Take care,

Laura

o

Laura, you made me want to go out and smell mine! I have noticed that my flowers smell even more at night. It's only 9:30 here. I agree on the scent, I can't describe it better either. It's a sweet perfume scent. It does smell great and it is a beautiful flower. I have it next to a Katie Moragne and a Jeannie Moragne, and they are all great unique flowers. I'd hate to lose any of them.

o

I had read somewhere that they have the strongest smell at night. I usually try to smell them then or first thing in the morning. During the day, the scent must evaporate from the heat.

o

I think nature plays a part in the strongest smell at night.. the natural pollination happens with the moths that help out mother nature come to enjoy the strongest scent at night. This is when the magic happens...

Take care everyone!!!

Laura

o

Yay! Thank you, Laura, for all the lovely new pics (and I see you have a big, furry, black plumie protector)! Also a big thank you for the scent description.
I cam across 4222 yesterday and it's also supposed to have a lovely perfume scent so of course it's also on my wish list. ;)

-Robert

o

Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 8:54

great photos everyone!!

Robert, your patience has paid off. Im happy your CA.S finally opened up.

The weather channel has been saying that our fall and early winter is expected to be warmer than normal because of, well scientific stuff i dont understand. LOL

Anyways looking at our 10 day forecast and seeing highs in the 80's and low in the 50's sure makes me think it will be. Good for plumeria I guess.
mike

o

I thought this was Pauahi Alii, but I think it's Ted Chinn.

o

Not sure what this one is. It's from the original 6" stick I brought back from Hawaii over 10 yrs ago.

o

Thanks, Mike!

Yes. Looks like we're lucking out with our weather. I've been moving plumies all over the backyard following the sun. Laugh.

LazyJC,

Your possible Ted Chinn is gorgeous. I love the red line around the leaves. My Phet Pachara has that along with red veins on the young leaves.

How do they smell? :)

-Robert

o

Lazy, is that the Ted Chinn you were going to get rid of? It must have heard you, LOL! Decided it better show off before it got banished. Lovely inflo after all that waiting! And I agree with Robert about the beautiful red margin on the leaves.

Robert, you might just get that inflo to bloom if you bring it in at night. I think it's the shorter daylight hours, as well as the cooler night temps, that make them drop inflos. We'll keep our fingers crossed for Phet Pachara! I'd love to know if it smells as good as advertised. Was it from Brad's?

Laura, that Kimi is lovely. And I bet your neighbors would sneak over in the night to smell your plumies if they knew what they were missing! Gosh, some of your plants are getting really big now. Let's hope we get that extended warm fall they keep talking about!

o

Jen,

Yay! Yes I'm hoping by me bringing Phet Pachara in at night and placing it under a light (might just set up another light over it!) it will bloom this year. I too am dying to know if its scent lives up to the hype or not. I did get it from Brad's. It arrived on 6/27/12 (gotta luv those plant nerds that write down the dates when plants arrive on their calendars!). ;)
Now I'm waiting to hear back from Florida Colors on their thoughts of 4222's scent. Laugh.

-Robert

o

LazyJC, that 6" stick bloom appears to be a Celadine.

o

I agree with DelWH, celadine. I believe I see the double line on the margin of one of the leaves in the pic. Peg

o

Hi everyone you inspired me to put a couple of my own pictures. If any of you have the name of these I would appreciate it. I will post more pictures soon.

Mark

o

Here are a few of mine that bloomed or are blooming. Some are still pushing up infos and I don't know if those will bloom for me or not.

Akha
Akha

White Shell
White Shell

Aztec Gold
Aztec Gold

Bali Whirl
Bali Whirl

Bonnie Fox
Bonnie Fox

My Favorite: Butterfly Gold
Butterfly Gold

Another Pic of Butterfly Gold
Butterfly Gold 2

Carl Hendrix
Carl Hendrix

San Miguel
San Miguel

Raspberry Sundae
Raspberry Sundae

Salmon Brown Seed Pods
Salmon Brown Seed Pods

Penang Peach
Penang Peach

Madame Poni
Madame Poni

My Valentine
My Valentine

Duke
Duke

Cookstown Sunset
Cookstown Sunset

Clare Corre
Clare Corre

Our beds:
Plumeria Beds

Another pic of our beds
Plumeria Beds #2

Bill was right - they do become "Volkswagons"!!!

Hope y'all enjoy the eye candy. I know I have enjoyed all the blooms. Joan

o

The Ted Chinn has a very light scent - not strong at all.
I did some searching & I think the yellow is actually Yellow Jack. Celadine doesn't have as much yellow as YJ.
This is fun. Glad I joined. Love seeing others pictures! Thanks!

o

The pic I found of Yellow Jack has about the same amount of yellow as Celadine, plus the petal edges were rounder, whereas your 6" stick has ruffled edges, like a Celadine. I have a Celadine and the flower looks exactly like your pic.

o

Name please.
Thanks Again,
Mark

o

Lazy,
Love your pic!!! Reds are my favs. Thanks for sharing.

Joann,
Love your bloom pics, I agree with you on Butterfly Gold...amazing. Did you get your Bonnie fox from Matt or Suki?? Rosemary had BF from both. Great show thanks!!

Simidude,
Beautiful flower, how large is it, scent???

o

Oh no! There's a SimiDude and an smdude! SM - are you in Southern California, too?

o

I agree with James..Joan, that Butterfly Gold is gorgeous!!!

George.. love all of your pics!!! Lovely!!!

Please keep them coming...

Love to see these beauties!!!

Bill? Hope all is well in Costa.. love to see some of your beauties.. Please? : )

Laura

o

Oh Sorry Simidude, lol. I should be wearing my glasses..lol
SMDude send info regarding flower, size, scent, discription or pic of the backside.
SM I am assuming since your zone 10 your in So Cal.

Thanks......

o

No problem, James. I just got scared for a moment, thinking what pic did I post, and why are people suddenly asking about it? :) I had to do a double-take and realize there were two of us with somewhat similar names, but if I go with George, there are a bunch of Georges on this forum, too! So I guess we all have to get out glasses on when we get to this site! LOL

o

Well here are a few from Southern California along the coast. A warm end of summer that still remains unseasonably hot. All pictures from the last 4 or 5 days.

Thumbalina:

Photobucket

Photobucket

JJ Inner Peace:

Photobucket]Photobucket

Double Singapore with Thortons's Lemon Drop in the background:

Photobucket
Photobucket

Irma 5:

Photobucket
Photobucket

Samoan Fluff:

Photobucket
Photobucket

Jeannie Moragne:

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Wildfire:

Photobucket
Photobucket

And finally Pretty Princess... first year I ever got any decent flowers despite the fact the tree is not looking the happiest:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Beautiful!

o

MJ,
Love them all!! I think though of the bunch Pretty Princess is my fav!! Thanks for the show...

o

James,

I bought my Bonnie Fox from Florida Colors and it is actually showing more color now than when I took the picture.

My Butterfly Gold is just beautiful. The pictures do not do it justice. I go out and just stand and look at it.

I have a few more that are blooming that I will have to post pictures of.

And by the way James I am in love with all your blooms. It seems like you are always posting a pic of something I have never seen or heard of and I just sit and drool all over my computer :)

Laura,

Thanks for the compliment. I do love the Butterfly Gold. If you ever get a chance to get one, I would definitely recommend it. And I just love your Miami Rose and Hilo Beauty. My Hilo is just a cutting so hopefully in a year or two I will have blooms also!

Joan

o

Joan,
You out plumied me as I did not even know that Luc FC had Bonnie Fox, thought it was still only being sold by Matt and Suki..lol Thanks for the show again and cant wait to see more .
Cheers

o

James,

Too funny, I don't think anyone can "out plumie" you. I got my Bonnie Fox, Butterfly Gold, Clare Corre and Japanese Lantern from Luc & Carol (FC) and all but Japanese Lantern have bloomed and are excellent plants. I just looked at my Japanese Lantern yesterday and saw it is pushing up an info but don't know if it will bloom before we have to put them in the greenhouse - 1st part of November here.

I'll try to get my other photos posted soon. Love to look at everyones blooms so it is nice to share mine too.

Joan

o

Sometimes I just sit here in awe as I can not even imagine having all those gorgeous flowers. Yes, I have the plants, just can't imagine them blooming like I see in all the photos you guys post. It's unbelievable! LOL

joan - Thanks so much for posting your pics.
I also got my Bonnie Fox from FC, grafted. Can't remember where I had originally seen the first photo of BF but I thought it was stunning and had to have it. Lo and behold, there it was when Carol updated their website! I'm going to keep this one in the greenhouse at work this winter and hopefully shorten her dormant period.

Do you remember the Raspberry Sundae photo that Jen posted from the PSA sale? Yours is an exact replica! It was another one that I had to have, so I purchased mine from Brad. Hopefully next year it will bloom and my North Carolina climate will give me the same look. Gorgeous! :)

James - a couple of months ago when I was whining about how badly I was wanting Musk Rainbow, you convinced me that it is a must have. But at the time I had a hard time obtaining it so it's tops on my list for next year.

Great photos everyone!

o

Mona,

I didn't think my Bonnie Fox would bloom this year. It was just a stick last year so don't give up hope. It should bloom next year for you!

My Raspberry Sundae was beautiful when it bloomed but I was disappointed that it did not bloom longer. Some of my plummies have been blooming since Spring (Slaughter Pink, Dalat Girl, Salmon Brown) but this one only lasted a short time. But it was also the first time it bloomed so hopefully it will bloom again next year and last longer.

Joan

o

Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 14:00

Wow I love Butterfly Gold (I think I bought a plant, not blooming though) and Raspberry Sundae!

What do BG and RS smell like?? :)

o

Lynn,

My husband and I smell differently. I can't smell Butterfly Gold but he said it is a sweet smell so I know it does smell and my sister also said it smelled sweet. (They look at me like what is wrong with you but my sinuses keep me from smelling sometimes). Now there are others that I can smell that he doesn't smell - go figure.

I don't remember what Raspberry Sundae smelled like. I will have to ask him when he gets home.

But their beauty definitely makes up for any smell and these are two of the prettious ones I have seen. That they smell good too just makes them that much better to me!

Joan

o

Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 21:09

Thank you Joan!

I have BG so I hope she will bloom for me next year. Raspberry Sundae is on my list to get next spring. Thanks for the report. :)

o

Mark, I'm not sure what your two photos are. It's very difficult to tell from one photo, though the white looks quite distinctive. The second one looks like it could be one of a dozen different plumies.

Joan--hubba, hubba! Fantastic collection you have! Of course BG is a knockout along with RS, but I also loved the Duke and My Valentine. In fact, some of them like Madame Poni, Clare Corre and MV look textbook-perfect. Hope the new PSA database project can use them!

Dang it, I need a bigger yard! Love the way you've clustered your plunged pots together.

MJ, how is it all yours look so, well, leafy? Like they're all very heavily branched. There doesn't seem to be a gangly plant in your bunch. Beautiful! Especially Irma 5 and Wildfire. Waiting for my Wildfire to grow has been like watching a glacier melt.

o

Today, I had flowers open on a new inflo in my mystery red plumeria (Gina?). This inflo looks better than the last (the flowers got very small and didn't last long in the previous inflo, which actually is still going).

These are big wide flowers.

Photobucket

I was surprised to find out that my Mardi Gras, which I didn't expect to bloom this year, has an inflo. And Hilo Beauty started blooming last week. Kaneohe Sunburst is still at it big time. And I have a Guillot's Sunset that should start blooming shortly. Still lots of the plumies are blooming as some are wrapping up for the year.

I made my first leis this week. It was easier than I thought, and took less flowers than I thought, which was good (I didn't think I'd have enough for one, but I was able to make two). Used mostly Lani's Beauty with Wildfire and Bali Gold. And some Rainbow 36.

But Kauka Wilder is on its last flower, and Katie and Kimi Moragne are almost done. My (possible) Pop's Red (my second favorite whatever it is) is having it's last hurrah - one last flower, opening tonight. This is my first year, I've never known what to expect. About 30 plumies are blooming right now, but it is starting to get colder.

o

SCORE! If that's Gina--heck, even if it isn't Gina--that is one gorgeous bloom on your mystery red! Maybe the seller confused "Jeannie" with "Gina".

Must have been some beautiful leis with that color combo you put together. Way to start off your obsession with a bang, George!

Jen

o

Thanks, Jandey. It's a six foot tree, not too many branches. I can't stop staring at these blooms. I remember how disappointed I was when it turned out it wasn't a Jeannie M. Not disappointed any more. I got seven trees and a cutting from this seller (one car trip, very full car), and even the cutting turned out to be something different. Next year, hopefully, the two that haven't opened will open. Could be anything, so I'm ready for a surprise! All the surprises have been very good.

o

Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 16:21

Yep! love em all.

great job everyone. Mine are done for the year. most have had their hair cut for storage. Even thought they go in the greenhouse I helps make more room and cut down on bugs.

I do have one lone delightful flower that keeps looking and smelling great.

Joan,

your plumeria patch is amazing!!

Mike

o

Wow George your mystery red is beautiful. I love the color and the shape of the flower. I would be very happy with a mystery like that!!!

Joan

o

I am enjoying everyones flowers. Today my "lani's beauty" opened up to be a yellow flower so not sure what it is really.

PLUMERIA013

Mindy

o

All these flowers are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing, everyone!
I wonder if I can eke out my season with my Phet Pachara growing under lights in the evening? :)
Every day I watch my little inflo. Laugh.

-Robert

o

I did harvest a bloom from my old faithful, California Sunset, growing in the not so brightly lit basement. :)
It smells like peaches. Love.

-Robert

o

Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 10:16

Robert

glad you got to enjoy that one before the cold snap. How cool you have a new inflo! All mine got a hair cut except for my Delightful and my White NOID. My NOID bloomed this time last year so I hoping it will do it again. Everything is in the garage for now until I can get them moved to the new greenhouse. Crazy that we are going back into the 80's by the weekend.

here is the lone delightful flower that has been open for a couple weeks now. still smells pretty good.
Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

mike

o

Delightful looks awesome! I hate it that I have to wait until I get home to see Photobucket pics. Laugh.
I probably will have to wait at least a month before my Phet Pachara might bloom.

-Robert

o

The rooting cutting of Duke is putting out a nice end of season inflo. Scent is great.

Photobucket

o

weve just come into blooming season i believe here in far north QLD australia. My plants are all quite young so i dont know if i will get any blooms. I hope i do. I have a white and yellow and an australian fruit salad. I gave my mother a white and yellow also. Id love a sunset or peach coloured one but have never seen them in the shops here...would probably have to buy seeds or rooted cuttings online. I saw one labled dragons blood today with a very dark pinky red flower...was quite nice looking...tempting :P It was great looking at everyones beautiful pics though...i have been a silent forum follower here at Plumeria for awhile while busy posting over at the Adenium forum. :P thought id come out of the shadows and say something :P

o

Welcome! Nice to hear from Australia!

o

Always great to be reminded that the growing season is just starting for some folks while ours is winding down. :)
I hope you get some blooms this year and score some cool finds!

DelWH,

I keep reading about how great Duke's scent is...I might just have to put it on my wish list. ;)

-Robert

o

Sbrow, have you seen this website: Sunshine Coast Frangipani? They have Penang Peach, which is a favorite for many of us. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunshine Coast plumerias

o

Waiting for CA Sunset to open!!! Hurry up, already!!!
Lonnie

o

Oh wow...thanks for that link. Great website...and yes ill be sure to post if i do get some blooms this season :)

Sarah

o

I got a first bloom on my Kaneohe Sunburst today!!! The lighting wouldn't let my camera capture the deepness of the pink and I had to make sure you could see the yellow to orange center - this bloom is amazingly saturated with color, the picture doesn't do it justice. I have another bud to open soon but I didn't want to miss this one.
Photobucket

A bit dark but the pink is even darker than that!
Photobucket

I'll see if I can get a more accurate color on this bud or the next, it was raining and overcast, getting dark. This one is HIGH up on my list of favorites. It smells wonderful too, and to me it smelled like classic plumeria with a little bit of coconut or something just a tad extra.

o

OHHHHH Emily..

BEAUTIFUL!!!

I just love the colors!!! Huge smiles here on that one!!!

Congratulations!!!

Sarah... Welcome to the Plumeria Forum!!

I did see you post over at the DR forum and i appreciate the kind comments on my thread. Ill b there later to post under you!! I also hope you see blooms soon!

Please keep posting... it is nice to see you here!!

Take care everyone!!

Jen.. just in case you missed my post about Kimi.. She is grafted.. I was having a moment when i was out on a trip and i was thinking of Katie.. she is not ggrafted.. but Kimi is. I bought her from FC. LOVE HER!!

Night all,

Laura

o

Here's my 'Come on, already!' Laugh.
I've got today and tomorrow before the cold front hits.
I've been growing my Phet Pachara outside in the sun during the warm days and under the fluorescent lights at night and it has paid off. Any day now it will open...right? :)
My hope is it will open outside while it's warm and not inside. I'm growing it for the fragrance and I know the best fragrance will be outside but I'll take whatever I can get. ;)

-Robert

o

Robert, I think I'm almost as excited to see those blooms as you are! The buds look intriguing. Your plants in the background look great, too.

Bracing for the cold front tomorrow night. Elucas warned me winds will be up to 30mph here. Would probably help if I turned on the t.v. to check the weather every now and then!

o

We're both excited! :)
Yes. I love the dark pink forming on the buds. I doubt it will open outside with the fast moving cold front coming our way. It's currently out on the back deck however I'll move it back under the lights inside at lunch since our temps are supposed to plummet. :(
Sucks cuz I have several blooms on my California Sunset (I picked one to bring to work with me). Guess I'll give it a haircut tonight before shoving it down in the basement.
Yesterday I noticed a tiny inflo developing on my Dwarf Deciduous White. I plan on growing it under the lights in the basement. Hopefully I can keep the inflo until next year. :)

I also have a gigantic Betty Marshall Brugmansia in full bloom growing in the ground that I'll have to cut back and dig up come tomorrow. Looks like we have a busy weekend ahead!

-Robert

o

Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 17:32

well Delightful wont quit blooming. I tried to get it to go to sleep in the garage but it wont do it. Oh well, LOL
looks like its making a seedpod also.
Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

yep thats the christmas tree behind it, Haha.

Mike

o

Wow! She's blooming her head off! Congrats. :)

-Robert

o

• Posted by k2fl okc 7 (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 29, 12 at 19:44

Mike that's an impressive inflo! looks like it's a reliable seeds producer too.

I have a "last hurrah" I'd like to add. I bought this rooted plant 2 weeks ago. There were a lot of buds on the original stock photo but by the time the plant made it to me, most of buds had broken off :(

I've always wanted to smell the fragrant from Vera Cruz Rose. I had hope that the inflo on this plant would last me through a couple of a months in the winter time. I guess it's not going to happen.

Fuzzy's photo listing:
listing photo

My VCR as of Sunday (10/28/2012)
10/28/2012, Last bloom for Vera Cruz Rose

I really enjoy the fragrant from this bloom. The plant is also very robust! This makes it even more exciting to look forward to see her in full bloom again!

Kenny

o

Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 10:07

Robert, Kenny. Those are some great plants you have there. VCR is one I would like to get.

Looks like us Okies can grow some plumeria, LOL.

I was at Southwood yesterday and they still have that big Scentsational. One of you needs to get it so I can quit thinking about it. $40 isnt too bad for the size of it.

Mike

o

Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 13:48

Mike,

VCR's very fragrant and smells just like a rose. Even with just this single bloom I can still detect faint whiff of it from a distance. I know a vendor in Oahu who sells VCR cutting for $16. If you want it, let me know and I'll be happy to pick one up for you when I'm there.

Wow!! that Scentational is still there? I kinda wanted to get it last month but it wasn't on sale. $40 seems reasonable enough! :) Did you see that giant plumeria plant I found in the Asian market around here? Could it be a promising sign plumerias will soon be available in our state? LOL

Kenny

o

Dang it! Now I want VCR. :P

Went to Southwood today around 5pm and didn't see the Scentsational. Kenny, did you finally drive up and grab it? :)

-Robert

o

Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 12:15

Oh no! I was going to do it next weekend. I guess you saved me a trip Robert! Lol

Kenny

o

Maybe it's stashed away in some corner that only Mike knows about! :)

-Robert

o

Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 21:05

Hi Robert,

I called them as soon as they opened today and inquired about the plumeria. It was still there! I sent my friend to get it for me. I'm now a proud owner of JJ Scentsational ;)

Kenny

o

Yay! I'm glad someone who will truly appreciate it got it! :)

-Robert

o

Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 11:46

Hey guys. I guess i missed this over the weekend but Im glad to see you got it Kenny. It has pretty good shape too.

Robert

It was tucked in with all the succulents in the north west greenhouse kinda pushed up against the wall.

We really need to get with them around February or so and see if we can put in a request for types. We might even be able to pre-order.

My Inca Gold I got finally gave up so Ill be looking to replace it with another yellow for sure.

Mike

o

Yeaaaaa Kenny! Congrats on your "Scentsational"
I glad someone finally decided to get it. Peg

o

Here's the next step of the cotton process. Making bales and going to the cotton gin. It looks like snow on the roads from moving them. You can see how big the bales are. They are like small simi trailers and they move them one to a load. Peg

fl029_zps5bf853b5

fl032_zpsc3bfd569

fl037_zps3197af7b

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here