Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

Rust

moonie_57 (8 NC)
11 years ago

Yesterday, after a storm blew through and knocked over some of my plants, I noticed some rust on a couple of them. Is rust something to -really- be concerned about? I'm sure there is going to be a variance in answers so how many of you have rust, or have had it?

And another question concerning rust.... would you consider it acceptable to receive a cutting with rust?

Comments (14)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Never had to deal with it so my comments are not from direct experience.

Its my understanding that it does not directly attack the plant. I would think being fairly late in the growing season for North Carolina, the plant will be loosing its leaves in the next few weeks so it would essentially end in most cases.

• plucrazy
    11 years ago

I haven't had any problem with it here in Central Fl until this past week. Now all of my in ground(pots) plants have falling leaves and yellow spots. It's always been my understanding that it has a symbiotic whatcha macallit
    with the plants. The leaves are going to fall off in a few weeks anyway. It seems like all the rain we have been having lately has brought this on. They were fine a week ago. Clara

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

I received a rooted cutting from an eBay Florida seller earlier this year that had rust. It wasn't too bad and I picked off the badly infected leaves and then sprayed the cutting with an organic rust treatment (see link below). I did this for about a month. So far the rust hasn't come back and now that it's almost time for the leaves to fall I'm not that worried (though I do plan on spraying the stem once all the leaves have dropped and disposing of the leaves in the trash).
    I wasn't thrilled with getting a cutting with rust but it certainly didn't kill the plant. It looks fat and happy right now. :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic rust treatment

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Jim Little says that it is not a problem and is beneficial to insects, he has a picture of bees feasting on it. It is a sporadic event here also affecting crinums and a few other plants. I had plants earlier in the summer that were affected but those plants no longer have any evidence of rust. I was trying to take pics of it for a friend and can`t find any. I do not treat for it. The plants that had it were moved to an area of slightly more sun and better air circulation then at the growers.

Cut off the affected leaves washing your clippers in a dilute bleach solution and throw them out. Make sure you wash your hands really well.

Tally Ho!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, there is certainly no doubt that my plumerias will drop all their leaves and go dormant. No worries then! :)

robert - I also received one from Florida with rust, plucked the leaves and it was fine.

I was really just wondering if anyone has experienced rust growing at a rapid rate and moving from plant to plant.

Tally - I remember reading that

• astrl
    11 years ago

I get it on my plumerias every year. It is probably the high humidity we have here all of the time. I just leave it on there.

astrl

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

I don't know what is on mine. Looks like a yellow powder and the leaves are falling off. Is this rust?

Jane

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Yes, that's rust.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

I have had orange rust on my trees last year,,, right around this time of the year. Rainy season tends to keeo the moisture up and it seems to cause orange rust here.

As of right now, i am rust free.. But when i do get a few leaves with OR, i remove them carefully and throw them away. I spray with Bayer 3 n 1 Disease and Mite control which helps with rust. I wouldn't worry at this time of the year, keep them dry and seperate the ones that do have rust so you can stop the spread, JMO,,,

Good Luck and its really nothing to worry about.

Take Care,

Laura

• irun5k
    11 years ago

Agree with everyone here, for most parts of the country, late season rust is not a huge deal since these are deciduous plants.

I hit mine with fungicide just because if I take good care of the plants they can keep their leaves though December. I also had early season rust (spring) for some reason this year so I attacked it early to keep it from plaguing me all season.

Apparently you can't really get rid of existing rust (other than pulling the leaves), but the right fungicide will help keep it from spreading.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I need to get to Lowe's for the Bayer 3 n 1, which I thought I had but do not. Unfortunately, I found rust on my DSP yesterday and I'm wanting to keep this one in my livingroom this winter. Maybe the organic treatment applied with a Q tip will work some kind of miracle. :)

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

Interesting. We recently moved to Florida from NY where my trees grew in pots. Dragged three along with us thinking how happy they would be with all this sun and warmth.

Never had rust in NY, which is why I didn't recognize it. I thought it was some sort of sucking insect. My Plumies never lost all their leaves in NY as I put them under lights during winter. As a matter of fact, they bloomed in December indoors.

Now they have rust and look terrible. I don't want to use toxic chemicals as I have butterflies which love to visit the flowers. I will pull off the leaves and try some alcohol spray.

My trees are still making new leaves and one continues to flower.

Jane

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Wave rage has rust right now, she grows in the front yard and doesn`t get quite as much sun. Unless you turn the leaves over you won`t know it`s there the plant is very healthy.
    Tally HO!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found more rust today so it's starting to set in pretty good. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to get the 3 n 1. Until then I am not looking anymore! LOL

I am not concerned about the health of my plants, just the appearance and I can see the backsides of some of them without turning over the leaves. :)

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator