Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nativec

Black tip....pushing me to the brink of...

nativec
11 years ago

Insanity!!

Hello everyone,

Some of you may recall my first ever fight with black tip earlier in the season with an Orange Splendour. I've now lost a JL Golden Pagoda(seller replacing) a Musk Rainbow and to my horror I noticed that my Kona Candy looked like it was sealing off only to discover...yep, you guessed it!! Black tip. This stuff is driving me mad!!! I'm at a complete loss as to who, when, where, why, how???? LOL I've done my reasearch and have read a multitude of articles regarding the cause and treatment of black tip.

I have tried treating with alcohol and a Rose spray that a seller recommended, and quite honestly, I'm sticking with what everyone has suggested and just lopping of the tip and sealing. I have yet to save a single plant that has shown black tip.

I'm now uber paranoid with fall just around the corner(and the fact that Matt is no longer going to be selling JL cuttings). This puts me in an absolute panic, because lets face it if I lose a JL variety its quite likely that I'm scr*wed if I'm looking to replace it.

I read in one article that it can be spread by mites. So this weekend I was out(looking like a crazy person I might add) with a jewelers loupe inspecting my plants for mites. No mites. No thrips...nothing.

I guess this is part rant and partly a request for ideas or input. I'm guessing in prep for overwintering I need to take extra precautions this year? Should I spray with some type of insecticide? I normally hose and wash the pots, trim the leaves in prep for winter. I'm wondering if thats enough??? What would you use as a possible preventative?

Any help would be appreciated :)Thank you all for putting up with my rant...LOL

Black tip-4 Nicole-0

:( Nicole

Comments (10)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Nicole, I'm so sorry to hear that. Hopefully others from your zone will respond.

I only see black tip here in late Winter/Spring as my plumerias are trying to come out of dormancy (I grow them in pots), and I believe -- at least for my plants -- it is a result of any of these conditions: bad mite infestation, too long a dormancy, too cool winter temps with no daytime warmup, and possibly too much water over winter... basically plant stress.

I do believe a plant that's actively growing with a healthy root system should be fairly immune from black tip.

What were your growing conditions like this summer?

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Dave!

My weather has been really ideal. Up until this last week its been a pretty typical CA summer(a bit slow to warm this year). I'm not coastal CA so once temps go up I stay around high 90's to low 100's during the daytime and mid-70's at night. I have a bit more humidity than my desert neighbors but not much. On average humidity runs around 35%(still low for many I know). I'm on my standard watering and fertilizing regiment. Nothing has seemed out of the ordinary.

The scary thing is that I have grown plumeria since 2006 and I have never, had black tip. I've battled everything else, including snow storms that wiped by previous collection. This stuff is quick and deadly!

One cutting started it all and now I've had 2 cuttings from 2 separate, but reputable sellers that have expired in a week or two of blacktip being discovered. Now that I've seen black tip I know that these two cuttings arrived with black tip already present. The latest victims were two that I purchased back in March. I'm stumped!

I too have read that it is plant stress...I'm still searching for the stressor :)

Wish me luck!
    Nicole

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

I can't help you solve the problem but I did want to say that I am so very sorry you're having to deal with this. Your plants are the only things stressed I'm sure!

• irun5k
    11 years ago

Hi Nicole,

My Singapore was affected by a minor case of black tip this year, even into the summer. In prior years, the problem only occurred at the end of winter.

The difference, in my case, was that I had moved the plant to the west side of my house where it would only get direct sun much later in the day. The entire morning it was basically in the shade.

After several failed attempts with a fungicide, I simply moved the plant back to where it was in prior years... an area where it would get morning sun. Problem solved! I suspect the humid weather and morning dampness here in FL were too much for it in the shade.

This may not be your issue but I figured I'd mention it.

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Nicole:

So sorry to hear of this...how frustrating and confounding. :(

I have only had one case of black tip...as I just mentioned in my most recent post, on my Nebel's...and I was so surprised, when I sought information on the problem, to learn that there are multiple theories--and they're only theories--on what causes it...of course, you already know this.

I was able to save my NR by aggressively cutting away at the trunk, several inches below the black...sucks that you were not able to have the same luck.

What a bummer of a situation. Please share with us anything that you might learn along the way, if anything. I'm sure many of us would find your advice helpful. (Call me a 'taker', I guess...nothing useful to share...but this is a tough one.)

Greg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Nicole,

Im so sorry to hear this..

I feel your frustration and i also have had the "Black Tip"

When i had my problem, it was when they were coming out of dormancy. Im not sure of the reason.. but it happened to two of the sme Variety. I cut them back hard to white wood and sealed after an hour. Make sure you clean you clippers.. ( im sure you do) with alcohol. So many theories on Black Tip, but it still makes us feel like we have a huge problem when we see it...

Im feeling for you..

Please let us know...

Metallica? I hope it pulled through.

Take care,

Laura

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Nichole,
    Luc from Florida Colors says that sometimes BT is cause by a root deficiency, that sometimes there is something that causes root damage and loss or lack of Nickel in the soil. If you over fertilize you can burn the roots and end up with a damaged root system also. I also was told that Fungus Gnats larva will eat fine roots and damage a plumies root system. All can cause BT along with a type of Mite.

Good Luck.

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone weighing in on my BT issue.

Mona-You said it! Stressed! I'm flipped out! But I haven't lost hope yet. :)

irun5k-Actually there is quite a lot for me to think about based on your experience. All of my newly rooted or rooted from other sellers go to the "nursery area" It gets significantly less sun and is covered in a medium grade shade cloth. I'm wondering if I need to bump up sun exposure. I've always used this same area...but...I know each variety is different. So thank you, I'm going to perhaps move them to a different area and see what happens.

Greg-I can't even describe the frustration:) I'm taking all the experiences shared and racking my brain to try and find a solution. If my Kona Candy dies I'm coming to steal yours! LOL

Hi Laura!- First the most important item...JLM is just fine! Whew! It looks like maybe, just maybe Kona Candy may make it, despite being an ugly stump. This will be the only one that I have been able to cut and seal that hasn't totally failed within the week.

No worries Laura I am sterilizing EVERYTHING:)Thank you always for your kind words of support:)

James-Thank you so much for weighing in. I have read about root deficiency. Funny thing is, the first to get BT was a newly rooted cutting from a seller that had a pretty meager root system, the next a Musk Rainbow(oh it killed me to lose this one-it was a huge cutting)was not rooted but it shipped during the really hot time here in CA, next JL Golden pagoda-unrooted and lastly Kona Candy, came rooted but it has never thrived(its holding on as a stump)

All that to say that each that has been hit has not been well established. I'm seeing a connection...perhaps?

I'm really careful with fertilizing. I tend not to mother hen or be an over-doer :) So I think I can rule out over fertilization. I have checked for mites. Nada. What do you use for mite control?

Many thanks!

Nicole

• pcput
    11 years ago

So sorry Nicole to hear of your BT. The first cuttings I bought all had it but the seller replaced them all. The replacements all had it too. I lost them all and it was many years before I wanted to try growing any again. That was long before all the info was out there on growing them. I feel your pain but at least now there is info to help. Good luck, and I hope you get it stopped. Peg

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much Peg! Did I mention I'm also really stubborn? I'm not going down easily! LOL

Take care!

Nicole

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville