Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (28)

• beachplant
    11 years ago

got mine in the mail yesterday, included was a bonus cutting of Pau Kahea. Big, fat & healthy cuttings, all multi-tip.
    Honey rose, Japanese lantern, Kaleini, Kauka wilder, Maui Beuty, Nassau, Pauahi Ali, Peachy king, Pink shell, Pink wave rage, Somoan sunrise and Wailuku were the ones I ordered. I`ll get pics tonight or tomorrow.
    He has a few more I would like so will probably go ahead and order them now, shipping was pretty quick, I ordered on the 19th of August.
    Tally HO!

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tip! I ordered:

Julie Moragne
    Japanese Lantern
    Kaleinani
    Kaleinani (this one looked really nice, ordered two in case someone fought me for one. You can get mugged for a cutting in the mean streets of Southern California!:))
    King Kalakaua
    Nebel's Rainbow
    Pinwheel Rainbow
    Sally Moragne
    Kauka Wilder
    Samoan Red
    University of Hawaii Orange
    Engelwood

Talked to Derrick, too. He was very nice and helpful. I'll be waiting excitedly!

• DelWH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I also ordered on the 19th and they were due to arrive yesterday according to the USPS website, but they came today. Not a biggie. They are some nice looking cuttings and the price is right.

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hey Beachplant,
    what is their website?
    Thanks, George

• DelWH
    Original Author
    11 years ago
  • beachplant
    11 years ago

ordered some more this morning. Could not resist.
    Nebels rainbow, Hawaiian G. Cruse, Spider, Kaneohe sunrise, Englewood, U of H orange, Rare Hilo Beauty, Samoan red, Ruby Too, Pinwheel rainbow, Pink Pansy, Mililani.

Might go ahead and order another 12. I can use any extras for our plant sale in the spring at the community garden.
    Nassau was $39.95 for a cutting at Exotic Plumeria!!!!! Mg had Japanese lantern for 20.95. Got both for Tally HO!

• DelWH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When I potted my 12 up yesterday, I noticed that the Scott Pratt looked like a 4 tip, but when I looked closer, it appears that one tip had had an inflo and there is in fact 3 sets of claws on it, so it really has 6 tips! Not bad at all.

• DelWH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BTW, here is the 12 I got:
    Scott Pratt
    Nebel's Rainbow
    Hawaiian Sunset
    Pauahi Ali'i
    Peachy King
    Dean Conklin
    Jean Moragne
    Guillot Sunset
    Hilo Beauty
    Kaneohe Sunrise
    Plastic Pink
    UH Orange

At that price, I'm very tempted to get another 12.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

you can get all 50 of his varieties for $200 and shipping "around $80". I was really tempted.
    $5.60 for a cutting? How can you go wrong? I resisted though. 12 at a time Jim won`t have a heart attack. 50 he might faint. Though.....
    Tally Ho!

• DelWH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That would be a whole lot of potting up. lol And finding a place for all 50 while rooting.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

I have a problem with the $80 shipping.

• DelWH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It may not come to that. On the 12 cutting deal, it said $16 shipping but when it came time to checkout, the actual shipping came to $14. The $80 is a bit high, but you are getting thick 2, 3, or 4 tip cuttings in that deal.

If you take 4x12 you get 48, and 4x16 is $64 so it's not too far off. I think he uses USPS Flat Rate boxes(mine was anyway).

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I was thinking of ordering 4 cuttings, but I'm getting nervous about the amount of time left i have to root these cuttings - I'm in Austin - any thoughts?

• beachplant
    11 years ago

200+ 80 /50 = $5.60 per cutting. I`ll have to go and look what shipping was. Mine also came in a flat rate box, I didn`t even know they had one that size.
    Tally HO!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Emily, you might be fine as the day time temps will be perfect for rooting them soon. I just worry about them being cut off the trees this late in the season.

• DelWH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My 12 was $55 plus $14 shipping, which comes to $5.75 per cutting. Still an incredible price, delivered direct to your doorstep.

As far as late in the season, these are coming from Oahu, so perhaps they grow year round down there? Would be interesting to find out if anyone has any info on that. Like, if they put out new inflos month after month without pausing for fall/winter in the tropics?

• beachplant
    11 years ago

From what I remember when I lived on Oahu they do not go dormant, they slow down, and some varieties bloom longer than others. They grow them and use them to make leis year round. I do not remember ever seeing one dormant there.
    Tally HO!

• DelWH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That sounds about right. I lived there 40 years ago and don't really recall any trees losing their leaves, like deciduous trees do here in the states. It was pretty much green all year long. So I imagine cuttings taken pretty much anytime would be ready to root. Of course once they got here, they would need the heat mats and probably lights to keep them going over the winter for rooting. Or just store them away till next spring.

• DelWH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In place of "states", I should have said "mainland". LOL

• Plumienut64
    11 years ago

I'm so tempted to order, I need them like a hole in the head!
    Can someone post pics of the actual cuttings--thx!!

• Plumienut64
    11 years ago

Do I need to log on to flicker to see the pics? ;)

• Minderella
    11 years ago

No, just go way down on page. I did the same thing.

• DelWH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You can just copy the link and paste it into a new tab to view the pics. I just finally figured out how to post them so they can be directly viewed. I think the originals were too large to do that. I should redo them so they are right in the post.

• DelWH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's all of them in a bunch. You can perhaps get an idea from this pic. The one with the metal tag is from Plumeria Hut, a Cool Aid. The rest from Piece of Paradise.

• DelWH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haven't figured out how to get more than one pic per post yet, but here are 4 of them. Nebel's Rainbow has 4 tips.

• DelWH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

4 more. Hawaiian Sunset, Plastic Pink, UH Orange, and Guillot Sunset.

• DelWH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last 4. Dean Conklin, Kaneohe Sunrise, Jean Moragne, and Rare Hilo Beauty.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996