Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good deal on some nice cuttings

Posted by DelWH 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 15:33

Ordered the 12 pack, pick any 12, from Derrick at A Piece of Paradise. These look pretty good for only $55. All are 2 or 3 tips.

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/86343366@N07/7908043058/in/photostream/

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/86343366@N07/7908046654/in/photostream/

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/86343366@N07/7908045682/in/photostream/

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/86343366@N07/7908044036/in/photostream/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good deal on some nice cuttings

got mine in the mail yesterday, included was a bonus cutting of Pau Kahea. Big, fat & healthy cuttings, all multi-tip.
Honey rose, Japanese lantern, Kaleini, Kauka wilder, Maui Beuty, Nassau, Pauahi Ali, Peachy king, Pink shell, Pink wave rage, Somoan sunrise and Wailuku were the ones I ordered. I`ll get pics tonight or tomorrow.
He has a few more I would like so will probably go ahead and order them now, shipping was pretty quick, I ordered on the 19th of August.
Tally HO!

o

Thanks for the tip! I ordered:

Julie Moragne
Japanese Lantern
Kaleinani
Kaleinani (this one looked really nice, ordered two in case someone fought me for one. You can get mugged for a cutting in the mean streets of Southern California!:))
King Kalakaua
Nebel's Rainbow
Pinwheel Rainbow
Sally Moragne
Kauka Wilder
Samoan Red
University of Hawaii Orange
Engelwood

Talked to Derrick, too. He was very nice and helpful. I'll be waiting excitedly!

o

I also ordered on the 19th and they were due to arrive yesterday according to the USPS website, but they came today. Not a biggie. They are some nice looking cuttings and the price is right.

o

Hey Beachplant,
what is their website?
Thanks, George

o

a-piece-of-paradise.org

o

ordered some more this morning. Could not resist.
Nebels rainbow, Hawaiian G. Cruse, Spider, Kaneohe sunrise, Englewood, U of H orange, Rare Hilo Beauty, Samoan red, Ruby Too, Pinwheel rainbow, Pink Pansy, Mililani.

Might go ahead and order another 12. I can use any extras for our plant sale in the spring at the community garden.
Nassau was $39.95 for a cutting at Exotic Plumeria!!!!! Mg had Japanese lantern for 20.95. Got both for <6 each w/shipping.
Tally HO!

o

When I potted my 12 up yesterday, I noticed that the Scott Pratt looked like a 4 tip, but when I looked closer, it appears that one tip had had an inflo and there is in fact 3 sets of claws on it, so it really has 6 tips! Not bad at all.

o

BTW, here is the 12 I got:
Scott Pratt
Nebel's Rainbow
Hawaiian Sunset
Pauahi Ali'i
Peachy King
Dean Conklin
Jean Moragne
Guillot Sunset
Hilo Beauty
Kaneohe Sunrise
Plastic Pink
UH Orange

At that price, I'm very tempted to get another 12.

o

you can get all 50 of his varieties for $200 and shipping "around $80". I was really tempted.
$5.60 for a cutting? How can you go wrong? I resisted though. 12 at a time Jim won`t have a heart attack. 50 he might faint. Though.....
Tally Ho!

o

That would be a whole lot of potting up. lol And finding a place for all 50 while rooting.

o

I have a problem with the $80 shipping.

o

It may not come to that. On the 12 cutting deal, it said $16 shipping but when it came time to checkout, the actual shipping came to $14. The $80 is a bit high, but you are getting thick 2, 3, or 4 tip cuttings in that deal.

If you take 4x12 you get 48, and 4x16 is $64 so it's not too far off. I think he uses USPS Flat Rate boxes(mine was anyway).

o

I was thinking of ordering 4 cuttings, but I'm getting nervous about the amount of time left i have to root these cuttings - I'm in Austin - any thoughts?

o

200+ 80 /50 = $5.60 per cutting. I`ll have to go and look what shipping was. Mine also came in a flat rate box, I didn`t even know they had one that size.
Tally HO!

o

Emily, you might be fine as the day time temps will be perfect for rooting them soon. I just worry about them being cut off the trees this late in the season.

o

My 12 was $55 plus $14 shipping, which comes to $5.75 per cutting. Still an incredible price, delivered direct to your doorstep.

As far as late in the season, these are coming from Oahu, so perhaps they grow year round down there? Would be interesting to find out if anyone has any info on that. Like, if they put out new inflos month after month without pausing for fall/winter in the tropics?

o

From what I remember when I lived on Oahu they do not go dormant, they slow down, and some varieties bloom longer than others. They grow them and use them to make leis year round. I do not remember ever seeing one dormant there.
Tally HO!

o

That sounds about right. I lived there 40 years ago and don't really recall any trees losing their leaves, like deciduous trees do here in the states. It was pretty much green all year long. So I imagine cuttings taken pretty much anytime would be ready to root. Of course once they got here, they would need the heat mats and probably lights to keep them going over the winter for rooting. Or just store them away till next spring.

o

In place of "states", I should have said "mainland". LOL

o

I'm so tempted to order, I need them like a hole in the head!
Can someone post pics of the actual cuttings--thx!!

o

Here are the 12 I recieved. And, I'm about to order 12 more. These all look good, 2, 3, and 4 tips on all of them.

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/86343366@N07/7908043058/in/photostream/

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/86343366@N07/7908046654/in/photostream/

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/86343366@N07/7908045682/in/photostream/

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/86343366@N07/7908044036/in/photostream/

o

Do I need to log on to flicker to see the pics? ;)

o

No, just go way down on page. I did the same thing.

o

You can just copy the link and paste it into a new tab to view the pics. I just finally figured out how to post them so they can be directly viewed. I think the originals were too large to do that. I should redo them so they are right in the post.

o

Here's all of them in a bunch. You can perhaps get an idea from this pic. The one with the metal tag is from Plumeria Hut, a Cool Aid. The rest from Piece of Paradise.

o

Haven't figured out how to get more than one pic per post yet, but here are 4 of them. Nebel's Rainbow has 4 tips.

o

4 more. Hawaiian Sunset, Plastic Pink, UH Orange, and Guillot Sunset.

o

Last 4. Dean Conklin, Kaneohe Sunrise, Jean Moragne, and Rare Hilo Beauty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here