Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Plumeria 4222

Well being the sucker that I am for any posting that I come across for 'one of the best smelling plumerias ever!' I broke down and ordered 4222 today. Laugh.

Anyone growing this beauty?

Your thoughts on its scent?

Here's what I've gleaned from various sites about its scent-

#4222 from Thailand. This one is fascinating. It HAS to be a seedling of Pink Pansy--just has to be. The scent is identical to Magnum Opus too, that sort of gardenia plus something else I can't put my finger on... very fragrant. I put my last PP bloom next to the inflo for comparison. #4222 is much more ruffled and overlapped, and is starting to form tight bunches of flowers exactly like my Thai seller's picture. A true winner!

I have to say next to my local variety "Cotton Candy" this plumie smells like sweet, sweet perfume.

What a smell and she's taken over the Green House with it.

She reminds me why I go through all the hard work and research on these wonderful plants.

This would make a great lei flower WOW!

I will stand by my statements I made a few years ago this is one of the best smelling Plumerias out there hands down!!

Her fragrance is a strong perfume smell which I really can't compare it to anything but a heavenly women's perfume.

Yes, the fragrance is out of this world.

Yes 4222 has good fragrance, just brought it in for my wife to take a whiff and tell me what it smells like, and she says no fragrance right now in 98' heat . But in the morning or at night yes.

Thanks,

Robert

Comments (25)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Is anyone else wondering if Robert and Greg are 'planted' on this forum by certain growers to raise the price bidding on EBay? LOL!

Let's see some pictures!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave,

Ha! Too funny. I assure you I'm just a bonafide scent nut. Laugh.
    When I get my plant from Florida Colors and it blooms next year (fingers crossed) I'll post pics and let everyone know if it really is one of the best smelling plumerias ever. :)

-Robert

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Robert--congrats, can't wait to see pics when it blooms.

Dave--ouch! Haha Not true! Not true! I'll have you know that I bought Kimo due to your lovely photos of it. ;) By the way, lovely pics on your 'best of' post! Well done!

Greg

Original Author
    10 years ago

Got an inflo! :)

Hopefully the flowers will stick around long enough for me to sniff 'em!

Been having the same issue from spring where the blooms open and last about a day and then fall off.
    Assuming it's thrips but who knows?

-Robert

• pcput
    10 years ago

Ha Ha Dave! I think you are sooooo right. I think there are some on here planted by all the growers to talk up what ever plant they want to push this week. I wish these plants were not so addictive. Now I'm looking at houses in FL but look at the yard first to figure out how much sun it will have and where I can put plants. I need help!
    Peg

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Well there are days that I wonder if Robert was indeed planted as well, for he got me on both on this forum and the fragrant plants forum! But thus far he has been pretty spot on. I love every single plants he recommended so far.

So Robert, did you see my post about the BEST smelling Plumeria this year for me yet? I will wait until you confirm this 4222 before I get her! ;)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Hey Robert. Glad to see you. hope you do get some great flowers.

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't believe ya'll are doubting my sincerity. My friends can vouch I'm a bona fide scent nut! ;)

Lynn,

Thanks for the compliment! I should find out soon if I agree with you about the scent of Michelia alba (bud is growing fatter and fatter each day). :)

Mike,

Thanks! Work has blocked me from posting or responding to posts (but at least I can still read them) so I have to post at home. Laugh.

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Almost there! Maybe tomorrow?

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yesterday.

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

It opened today but of course we also had a torrential downpour this afternoon. The petals seems thin so I doubt they're going to last long since we're supposed to get more rain.
    Light scent so far.

-Robert

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Lol... I will vouch for you Robert!!!

We all feed off each other....

I was watching Fuzzys eBay and many didn't even have one bid? I was stunned.... Lol.. I wanted to hit that button, but I was good!!!

Beautiful bloom, Robert!!!

I'm sure the scent will develop more as it gets more mature. Scent check?

Lol.. Like I did for you,,, Just kidding. I'm sure the scent is stronger in the evening.... Mother Nature knows what she is doing!!!

Thanks for the beautiful pics..

Laura

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Robert I own 45 plumeria, the best smelling plant I own is a seedling from Mardi Gras. It smell like gardenia. It is the forbidden yellow, but I am going to keep it. I just can't let it go. The color is beautiful, as well as the fragrance is a 10. Barbra

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for getting my back, Laura! Laugh.
    Also I'm proud of you for not bidding on Fuzzy's babies.
    I know how hard that can be and learned the hard way when I won 3 at one time. ;)

Hoping 4222's scent will increase but with all the rain in the forecast I guess I'll cut it some slack for now.

Just went out into the night and couldn't detect any odor from it. Oi Vey!

Barbara,

I've been tempted by Mardi Gras in the past and now you tell me about a seedling of it that I can't get and it smells amazing?
    Now that's just cruel. :)
    I like yellows...as long as they smell good!
    I hope you do indeed keep such a treasure.

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 23:20

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Robert, I will be sharing it with anyone who wants a cutting from it, when it gets larger. It just gave its first bloom, I will try and post a picture of it later. I don't think I have anything that smells that lovely. I hope it doesn't change, I was told a seedling has to bloom 3 years, to finally get the true bloom. Barbra

Original Author
    10 years ago

Barb,

You're so sweet! I hope your plumie retains its wonderful scent.
    It would be a shame if it some how stopped being so fragrant. :)

Smelled 4222 again today (but again it rained) and the scent is still light. It's a pretty flower but that's not why I'm growing them. Laugh.

-Robert

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Beautiful....

Laura

• pcput
    10 years ago

Robert, Who cares about the smell when it looks that GOOD! Nice job.
    Peg

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha, Peg!

You sound like my partner. ;)

Here's a pic from this morn.
    Yes. She's a beauty. Still just a light scent but maybe as the tree matures the scent will increase.

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic taken this afternoon.

-Robert

• plucrazy
    10 years ago

That first picture of the two just takes your breath away. So gorgeous. It hurts, its so pretty. Clara

Original Author
    10 years ago

Aw...thank you, Clara. That's very sweet of you. Yes it's a pretty flower especially with the raindrops on it. :)

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Last pic. Taken tonight.

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Scent update. This one does indeed have a perfumey scent. It takes it a few days to become really noticeable and I've found once the blooms fall off the plant they smell stronger.
    I brought it to work and all the women at the office loved its scent and one said it smelled like her mom's Bath & Body Work's Plumeria lotion.
    It doesn't make me swoon but it's a gorgeous bloom and I like how the petals swirl. :)

-Robert

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Nice one Robert!!!

Mike

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz