Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgecc

Season of Hope/The Thrill of the Bloom - Part 2

georgecc
10 years ago

Note: Even though this post may be long, it's a heck of a lot shorter than Part 1! I'm getting better!

Thought I'd provide an update on the yard, and also show some of the plumeria that first bloomed after my last post. Everything with an inflo has opened now, except for a Daisy Wilcox, Vera Cruz Rose and what I believe is a Royal Hawaiian. Those should be coming in the next couple of weeks!

Let me start with Buttered Popcorn. It may look like an exploded popcorn kernel with a spot of butter in the center, but what is most amazing about this one is the scent. Not just of popcorn - but of buttered popcorn. How did this happen? Some people stop in their tracks when they smell this one.

Gina

Lava Flow

Hilo Beauty - will it bloom through Christmas this year again?

{{gwi:1209534}}

J-105

Guillot's Sunset, placed at the very top of Na Pali, in honor of Bud Guillot - who identified the flower I found on Craigslist for me - "I believe that's my Sunset!".

Vera Cruz Lutica (Jandey, this one is for you!). Beautiful pure yellow with wonderful scent.

Kimi Moragne

Check out the color changes with temperature on this very fragrant plumeria, which may be called Buttercup Yellow.

Mystery Yellow

Solana Red - a beautiful, tiny little flower

Mardi Gras - this one was living right by the beach, and had almost no color. The color is starting to appear now. It's got a way to go, though, before it becomes the super saturated pastel colored flower I've seen before.

The following two are cuttings which came with these blooms, so I can't take any credit for nurturing them yet. I love them both, though. I can not wait till these cuttings get big!

Purple Jack

Emmerson's Pink Nova

Now here are some of the ones covered in my previous post, but which I just had to give an update on:

Samirie - this one is ever changing, but always beautiful.

Grainy Moragne

Cooktown Sunset - the brightest flower in town

"Anaheim Rainbow" (name made up)

Kaneohe Sunburst

Dutch Orange changes quite a bit, too. Where did those pink veins come from? Beautiful in all temperatures.

Jeannie Moragne

Kimo and Rainbow 36

Lani's Beauty from far below

Mystery Speckled Pink

And had to give a little update on Bill Moragne. What an amazing inflo this one has, I get a kick everytime I pass by it.

I hope no one minds that I throw in some Before/After pics of my yard - when I moved almost three years ago, and now

Before: Corner of the West Lawn

After:

Before: Entrance to the Swimming Hole

After:

Before: Fence around the Swimming Hole

After: ...from the West Lawn

After: ...from the Swimming Hole

The Springs

(no Before pic. It was basically a metal shed surrounded by concrete on all sides)

After:

After: The shower is between an Aztec Gold and a Rainbow 36 - and faces a new 7-8' Stenopetala - great scents on all sides

Before: The West Lawn and the High Country

After:

Before: Na Pali

After:

And a couple of non-plumeria

Roses

Passion Fruit

Mango

And finally, gingers are opening all around the Swimming Hole and Na Pali, these in front of a Gold Coast Peachy.

It looks like the garden has peaked for this year, and outside of 3 plumies that are ready to bloom for the first time, the season of the Thrill of the Bloom is starting to wind down. But what fun it was! Makes all the work and the sweat and the moving trees and bricks and pots and mini-boulders all seem like nothing compared to the sights we get to see and the scents we get to enjoy. Happy Fall everyone! Let's console each other again at next year's Season of Hope, as we wait for inflos to appear and start this process all over again!

PS: Did you see the mantis on the Cooktown Sunset?

Comments (17)

• Mykel02
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

All amazing as always... your plumerias all look beautiful, even your roses...

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

stunning! the vines really make that iron fence nice.

great job.

Mike

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Oh George what an oasis! You have done an amazing job! You must be so proud and so pleased.

Everything look so wonderful! I even love your roses! Mangoes look yummy and so do the passion fruit! I love the scent of the passion fruit too. Congratulations! You have outdone yourself. :)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

What a show, beautiful!
    Barbra

• rox146
    10 years ago

What an outstanding job and we all know how hard and how much time it takes... DEVOTION! Cannot wait to see it on Sunday...roxanne

• pcput
    10 years ago

SimiDude, you have made yourself a little paradise and it must be like heaven resting there. It's just beautiful! Love so many of your pics. Thanks for sharing.
    Peg

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mykel, Mike, Barbara and Lynn - thank you so much! I appreciate all the kind words.

Roxanne, thank you, and I really look forward to Sunday, too!

Peg, thank you so much for the motivation you've given me - here and in Part 1 of this posting. Thanks, Peg.

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

George, you have done a great job transforming your back yard. Great collection of plumerias and nice photos.

I got a question though. What are you doing with a boat in the pool? Are you hunting for alligators? :)

George

• toomanydogs
    10 years ago

Love the before and after pictures, George. It was such an arid, sterile, boring house when you bought it and you have transformed it into a tropical island. Now you need to buy the next door neighbor's house, tear it down, and put in a really big plumeria grove. See you soon!

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Amazing flowers!!! You really transformed your yard. It looks really good!

Mark

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Hey Semi,
    AMAZINGGGG transformation, shows what a lot of hard work and lots of sweat can accomplish. Loving the lushness of the patch! Loving the grainy look of your Gina, amazing how plumies change from moment to moment. The Anaheim Rainbow is brilliant, along with the speckled pink. Oh I can't forget how the DO has morphed, the pink and orange is to die for.
    Thanks for the show

• jandey1
    10 years ago

George, you started out with a great house and turned it into a great home! What a gorgeous transformation! We can never have too many shots from it.

Hope you all have a blast tomorrow! Looking forward to more pictures.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi George,

First of all I hope you all had a wonderful afternoon!! Thinking of you all and wishing I was there to share the great enthusiasm for growing these lovely beauties!!!

I know how much work you have gone thru transforming this ordinary bare yard and then turning it into a beautiful, heart warming place to come home to and be at peace. That is what we all want at the end of the day. A wonderful inviting home that makes us relax, to feel the pleasure of the beauty nature provides us.

This house is a home to be proud of... I am truly inspired at all of your hard work that you have done to this beauty that was waiting for you to buy, take an interest in and show it the way it was meant to be seen.

Just beautiful.

Laura

• rox146
    10 years ago

You said it Laura...he did an outstanding job! So glad to have a group now in the area. mahalo, roxanne

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

What a beautiful haven for relaxation!!
    Lonnie

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

George, I got the canoe to take up to Yosemite, to go canoeing there. Unfortunately, haven't had the time to get all the way up there. So I started practicing in the pool, and before you know it, it became a daily activity. I'm very good at turning now!

Does anybody remember the old Hamm's Beer sign that had a moving picture of a red canoe going past a waterfall, and ending at a campsite with a campfire? It was scenic and beautiful and hypnotic - something most beer signs today aren't! May have affected me as a kid.

Allison (toomanydogs), I like the way you think! The house on the right has a bigger yard, hmmm. Of course, there's still the off chance that Jandey will move next door! I hope she brings one moving truck with those Texas pralines! And thanks for coming to the meeting, it was a long drive for you, Allison. That was a blast though. Can't wait till the next!

Thanks Mark!

James (Freak4), you've been an inspiration, thank you so much.

Thanks, Jen (jandey). Really appreciate it. So are you moving? Are you bringing the praline truck, too? That would be too much fun being neighbors.

Roxanne, this year had been great, and meeting you and the rest of our Ventura County group has been a big part of it! Thank you so much. We have lots of great adventures ahead!

Lonnie, there's nothing like the hammock and the sound of running water, and the smell of plumeria and jasmine and ginger. And dessert.

Laura, you've been my inspiration ever since the days I knew nothing about plumeria (which was a surprisingly short time ago!). If I can inspire you in any small way, that means a lot. I may print and hang your posting in my office. I'm very moved, thanks as always!

I felt like a ranger giving the guided tour at the meeting Sunday. I guess i've always wanted to do that, so it was a blast.

• rox146
    10 years ago

YES, IT WAS A BLAST!!!! roxanne

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA