Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
will07_gw

Poor Plumaria :(

Will07
10 years ago

Of course the summer is coming to an end here in Ottawa and my mother's plumeria couldn't be happier. I counted 3 flower stocks but the plant needs to come inside in the next 2 weeks. I know those flower stocks will never mature once inside the house and it kills me. The only thing I can do for this plant is keep her happy over the winter months but I'd love to cut her back to make her more manageable.

Comments (6)

• Will07
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a full pic

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Hey Will07,

That is a great looking tree. Do you know what type it is. At first i thought, wow thats a tiny pot for such a big tree, then I thought well it sure is doing great in that pot. Anyways. What are the temps going to be like in the next few weeks? Are you getting down into the 40's i guess. If you wanted you could force the inflos to blooms with lights.

Thanks for the photos.

mike

• pcput
    10 years ago

They can bloom indoors but may not be what they will look like when outside. Here's a pic of my noid blooming at christmas and same inflo still had buds in spring outside. Hard to believe it's the same inflo.

Some blooms are better than nothing :)
    Peg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi !!!

Beautiful tree... Congratulations for growing up north!!!

Goes to show that it can be done and done correctly. I just.love to see our neighbors In Canada growing these beauties....

I agree, it is a beautiful tree and I would try and keep all of the limbs on it. It is such a gorgeous tree and it is wanting to push Inflos, so next season will be more exciting thrills.

Peg is right, it can be done. Love any blooms during the winter!!! What a difference in the coloration, Peg... Love it!!!

I would invest in some type of grow lights and try to continue its blooming cycle. You might lose the true color, but like Peg mentioned.. It is still a bloom!!!

I agree with mike., it is happy in the container, but I would pot up next spring. It will love the extra room to grow and it will help it from being to top heavy.

Thanks for sharing this beauty!!!

I think this is a wonderful Plumeria and I applaud you for a great job ( mom too! ) for a beauty in Ottawa!!!

Watch the temps at night.. You might be doing the Plumeria shuffle, but it will,be worth it. I don't see any yellowing of the leaves., it is happening to mine just in the last few days. A true sign of the trees getting ready for fall .

Strong work!!

Take care,

Laura

• Will07
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the positive comments! I thought the plant looked average.

Mike, the nights were getting very chilly around 4C, 5C last week but for some reason it's been July weather again this week. As for light there simply is no room inside.

Peg, that's a real big difference in colour of the blooms from inside to outside! But you are right any bloom is better than none. Does it still have a scent when it blooms inside?

Laura, not sure what type of plumeria she is but the flowers are pure white with yellow throats. There are a few yellow leaves but they are tiny ones under the canopy.

Again thanks for the positive comments!

• pcput
    10 years ago

Will07 - It did have a sent of peaches inside but not real strong. I thought it was an Aztec Gold until spring came and the blooms changed. It sometimes smells of peaches and sometimes more like suntan lotion outside but didn't get but a few more blooms to smell. Maybe next year it will bloom at the right time but since the tips are short don't know if it will. Good luck with yours and you'll have to let us know how it does.
    Peg

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz