Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rwalleytx

Anyone into Plumerias in San Antonio or San Antonio area?

Richard
11 years ago

I just got into plumerias when I wanted to get some tropical plants and picked up a few banana plants and noticed plumerias at the nursery I knew as soon as I saw it I had to have one. When I was younger I lived in hawaii and it brought back good memories when I was there. The more I research these wonderful plants the more plants I want haha. So many colors to choose from. I have 4 plants so far but they are still young and only have 1 that has flowers. I would like to learn from locals on the care of these plants and some tips I could use to help make them thrive and also get through the cold winters.

Comments (17)

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Greetings! There are a bunch of us from Texas here. I`m in Galveston myself.

This is a dreadful place to hangout! Pretty soon you will have 50 or 60 plumeria and a list of at least that many you are hunting for.

Tally HO!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I almost forgot! The San Antonio plant swap is October 13th, go to the Texas forum and there should be a link and info. I think there are a couple of plumeria growers in their bunch. We are probably going to make a weekend of it and drive up for the swap.
    Tally Ho!

• Richard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sweet..glad to see there are some people in the area.. hey beachplant do you have any plumerias for sale?

• beachplant
    11 years ago

nah, I lost most of mine in Ike and the hard freeze the next year. I am slowly rebuilding my collection of these and other plants.
    Tally HO!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I am. There are two of us on this forum from SA and two more from Austin. We get together a couple of times each year to talk shop and trade plants. Always glad to have another.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Wally the only way to get large plumeria plants is to go directly to the sellers house. Most of the sellers live in the Houston area. Emerson is by far the largest seller, and would have the best selection. None of the Tx sellers will mail out large plants. K has been to his house, in La Porte Tx, you can see his place on the internet, I think he is called the plumeriaman. In the spring they have PSA sales in Texas, where they sell large plants. K and I went to the Rosenberg PSA sale in July( this is the closest one to San Antonio) they had some common named plumeria 5 ft tall for $25, unnamed ones for $10. I have my plumeria plants in Rockport Tx, and do not have any here in SA. Barbra

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

I'm in the DFW area, and most growers are in Houston as Honey says. I hope to go to the PSA sale next year.
    Lonnie

• beachplant
    11 years ago

If you want anything in particular let me know, I can pick it up from one of the local sellers and bring it to the swap next month. I go to LaPorte a couple of times a month. My sil lives 1/2 block from Emersons. Paula works here on the island and will bring whatever I want down, look on Houston Craiglist for her ad. Becky in Lamarque has an ad on craigslist also, I`ll get a list of what she has. Barb has a list of other sellers in this area.

Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Tally, if I contacted Emerson and paid for a Mr Ambassador with paypal. Do you think Paula would bring it to you, so you could bring it to the swap on the 13th? Barbra

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Hello and welcome! I'm in the Austin area but have also grown plumeria in San Antonio, they are pretty much the same climate. For the cold winters you need to bring your plants inside or in the garage off the concrete and let them go dormant - I lost several plants thinking I could get by in the shed, with those surprise frosts and cold snaps we get it's the only safe way. They will not tolerate our winter outside.

Are you looking for any tips specifically or just general care of the plants?

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Paula is in Dickinson I think, I can run up to Emersons and pick it up. Paula sells her plumeria at the Barking Frog and her backyard. I`ll see if I can get a list from her, I got Nanette, lemon chiffon, Aloha and Rose Red from her along a cutting Mele Matson maybe?
    heres a link for Beckys ad, she is really cool. Her mom was big in plumeria and Becky continues on. Her yard is amazing, giant plumeria and babies everywhere.
    Tally Ho!

Here is a link that might be useful: Becky

• LazyJC
    11 years ago

I'm in Boerne. In fact, I'm looking to get rid of one of my plants if anyone would like it. It's a 6 year old Ted Chinn that's never bloomed for me, though it was blooming when I bought it from Teas Nursery in Houston in Aug. 2006. My Paualhi Alii has bloomed every year religiously, but someone with more TLC than I have should take the Ted Chinn off my hands.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Lazy, several of us will be meeting up next month, on the 14th, at the San Marcos outlet mall's food court, if you care to join us.

That's very good to know that Ted Chinn is not a great bloomer for you while Pauahi Alii is. That's the kind of information we'd all like to have and share since we spend so much time cultivating these tender plants only to be disappointed by some of them.

Shame about Teas closing down. Have you been back to the area since they've gone?

Jen

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Send it with Barb and either she or I can plant it on the coast and see if it blooms here. Some plants do much better in the humidity.
    Tally HO!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Lazy
    I'll take a shot at it or donate it to the cause. I'm within 15 min drive of Beorne. I joke that I''ll retire my plants to Barbra's land when they are too big.

• Richard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ill take it if you would like but seems like you already have takers

• dstartz
    11 years ago

I am a plumeria grower and I live in Alice. I purchased 1 each of several colors a number of years ago and then did a swap for 2 unknowns; I've been hooked ever since. When I was on Kauai a few years ago I collected quite a few sticks from around the island and brought them home with me. I've also gotten quite a few cuttings from a lady on O'Ahu who has a Yahoo group. She collects cuttings from around the island then sends them to group members who pay the S&H costs. I also got several plants from Tally today at the SA plant swap.

I have none that are named varieties, or at least I don't know that I do. I'm not really worried about names as much as I am about beauty and variety. At present I have 16 semi-grown plumies (4-6' tall), the 3 plants I got today and 5 large rooted cuttings. Not a huge collection, but I'm just getting started. ;-)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists