Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
federal_hill

wrinkled

federal_hill
9 years ago

I have over one hundred plumerias and have been growing them for years yet I still cant understand why some of them get wrinkled and bow over....I eventually cut them and replant them....I know its not from lack of water....any suggentions

thanks

Comments (7)

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    9 years ago

Could it be stress? My Rhonda that I re-potted from rooting in a bottle hasn't fully bounced back yet. She still has wrinkles from stress. I'm slowly trying to coax her back with some pro-tek.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

Are they in containers or in ground?

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Photo might help.

Some plumeria varieties are very sensitive to herbicide fumes. Have you used any RoundUp or any broad-leafed weed killers nearby?

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

Without knowing all the facts I am going offer up that the plants are root bound and should be up potted and/or root pruned. It is my experience that a plant in too small of a container will exhibit the described problems and up potting along with staking will generally resolve the problem.

While it can be difficult and results in having to carry larger and larger containers I have found an up potting routine can make a huge difference. It can get heavy and use a lot of space but to me its worth it to have big beautiful blooms. Here is my typical up pot cycle.

0-1 year old Rooted - 1 gal
    2-3 years old - up to 5 gal
    3-5 years old - up to 10 gal
    5-7 years old - up to 15 gal or seasonal in ground
    7+ years old - 25 gal or seasonal in ground.
    All years - hit the gym at least 4 days a week so I can lift some of these monsters. ;)

• plumerias_lover
    9 years ago

Hi federal_hill,

I also have wrinkled stems on my plumeria. I found this information on a website which I copied it for you.
    Here you go.

"Also, if the stem becomes wrinkled the tree is not well ��" cease watering and spray leaves with AntiRot. If you notice spongy stems, remove the stem completely to the junction with a main branch. Thinning out 15 to 20 per cent of the canopy of your mature frangipani is good to do every few years; it opens up the branches, allows light in and reduces stem rot."

Unfortunately, I found this information after I already watered my plumeria today. I only hope that it won't be damaged so badly.

If you're interested in getting more info, here is the link

http://www.homelife.com.au/gardening/how+to+grow/how+to+grow+frangipani+trees,4805

Keep me posted and good luck!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

PL,
    I posted in your other post about some things to do. In the instance you found here I beleive the situation was root rot caused by too much water. It happened to me once when I forgot to punch out the drain holes on a new container...whoops. Dry out the soil, possibly even replace soil and container and place in a warm indirect sun location and act like you are rooting it again for the first time. Once it has leaves then you can lightly water.

• citizen_insane
    9 years ago

Federal_Hill,
    wrinkled stems means the plant is not uptaking enough water and some of the stems shrivel because they lose more moisture than they uptake from the roots. Either the roots are rotted or the soil mix loses its moisture too fast or the plant is not watered enough. I had a similar problem with large plumerias planted in 25-gallon pots. I watered them every day and still some of the stems were wrinkled. What was causing it was the soil mix. It was too sandy and did not retain enough moisture. I repotted the plants in the same pot but used a soil mix that retained a lot of moisture (with 50% perlite and pumice). The wrinkled stems problem went away (maintained the same watering schedule as before). If I was you I would check the roots first to make sure they are not rotted. Then I would re-pot adding a lot of perlite and pumice to the mix.

George

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz