Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachplant

Emersons, cuttings, blooms, etc.

beachplant
11 years ago

So my cuttings are stuck in the postoffice, hopefully I can take a break and run get them tomorrow.

Friday I am going to Emersons and buy more plumeria! I love driving by his place but have never, in all these years stopped. I have no idea why. He lives around the corner from my niece and everyone calls him the plumeriaman, even people who have no idea what a plumeria is.

I got a call from a hysterical mom today wondering why they planted that toxic plumeria in their yard, it was all I could do not to tell her I would drive up and dig it up for her. Reassurance instead.

Nanette is blooming her little head off, Slaughter Pink is showing another inflo and if that thai seedling doesn`t bloom next year it`s getting planted in the alley! 5 years is long enough buddy, produce or give up the space on the deck. The NOID from Larry that we can`t id, I posted a pic of the blooms last month, has continued to bloom, being transported and planted in the ground didn`t have any affect on it. Madame Poni looks like she might send up an inflo, I am totally psyched about that! We often get another flush of blooms this time of year, the break in the heat seems to stimulate them to try one more push before winter.

More rain appears headed our way, we have flash flood warnings for tonight and the sun is blazing out there. I wish there was a way to send the rain to the north,even though we need it they need it worse.

"life is not about surviving the storm, it is about learning to dance in the rain"

I`m gonna do a rain dance on my way home. For the whole country.

Happy Hump Day! (on my planet it is Wednesday)

Tally HO!

Comments (22)

• Richard
    11 years ago

sweet I cant wait to see these plumeria!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Thanks for the report! Pictures??

We've had 'flash flood' warmings all summer. Did we see a drop of rain here? Maybe 2 inches the entire summer. Very dry for here.

Up here the late inflos tend to fall. Not enough heat for bloom. Sometimes they stay on and bloom next spring if the plant is established enough.

You're on Galveston, right? I have a very large sago palm I started from a seed I collected in Galveston way back in 1982. You can imagine how large the plant is now. I have to move it into my garage in coldest months. Very heavy!

Cheers!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Yeah, Tally, where are the photos? We need visuals!

Dave, you don't seem old enough to have harvested seeds back in 1982. That sago must be huge now.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Ha! I thought I was the only one wanting pics. Laugh.
    And you totally should have offered to get rid of that 'toxic plant'. :)

-Robert

• beachplant
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I`m off on Wednesday, pics to follow! Plus I will take a ton of pics at Emersons and post them.

That sago must be enormous! It can take them up to a year to sprout from seeds. The first 2 years are just torture waiting on them. Keep the seeds away from your dogs, they will kill them, you to for that matter.

Tally HO!

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Tally,

We'll hold you to that promise! Dave, I love that you "collect seeds" when you visit places! That is so nerdy (that is a big compliment in my book)!

Greg

11 years ago

I got the sago seed in January, threw it in another pot and it germinated in April. Not bad for a sago seed. My sago is giving me lots of pups now, so there's no shortage of sagos in my garden. Yes, Greg, seeds are my kind of souvenirs. And they're usually free. Tally, my sago has a trunk of about 18". It weighs a ton.

How are Emerson's prices compared to other sellers?

• beachplant
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not bad for a sago!
    I have one about that size in a pot of all things, someone was supposed to pick it up and they didn`t. It is as tall as me, well, taller.

I`ll let you know on Friday how his prices are.

I have seeds in my purse right now, always gotta check the pockets before laundry, the empty desk next to me is my display for my plant lecture, my coworker wanted to know if the castor bean was edible-now you know why they turf their plant calls to me.

Took some pics yesterday, I will download them tonight and take some more tomorrow. It is Kimo that has an inflo not madame poni but that is OK too!

Tally HO!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Here are some cell phone pics I have of his front yard and the backyard jungle.

I think this is the house... :)
    {{gwi:1210550}}

back
    {{gwi:1210552}}
    {{gwi:1210554}}

11 years ago

LOL! Yes, my wife is always finding odd seeds rollin' around in the dryer. Hmmm? I don't know where they came from. Wait, those look like Sycopsis sinensis. Let me plant those! The soaking and the heat treatment probably did them good.

Wanna know what else? My little three-yr-old daughter and I go for our 'nature walks' in the evening. She collects seeds in her baggy. She loves to pick up acorns, chestnuts, hickory nuts, etc. But the large black walnuts we throw just into the street and watch them roll down hill for almost a 1/2 block. Fun!

• elucas101
    11 years ago

WOW!!! Thanks for the pictures - that's quite a plumie jungle there, I love it!!! What does the sign say? Some kind of plumie sale! You know you're a serious plumie-holic when you have your own sign made :)

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

Sign says Plumeria - the lei flower - sale.

• Richard
    11 years ago

I wonder what his neighbors think lol

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
    I hope to drive down next year for a visit.
    Lonnie

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Lonnie its worth it. Time your trip when there is a sale. The PSA sales are a ton of fun. You can talk to growers and most are very willing to give pointers or show techniques once the big rush is finished. If they had a snack bar I would have stayed until dinner.

• beachplant
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Talked with Emerson this morning. He might lose part of his yard when they put in curbs and gutters. His yard is pretty awesome. I`ll take a bunch of pics. Picking up one for Barb too and now I think I must have one of the same! I`m not telling you what it is until they are in my car.

Tally HO!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Did anyone else's heart start racing as they saw those photos of Emerson's yard? OMG, LOL!

K, your DW wasn't kidding about that whole other level of crazy above ours. What a great place to get lost smelling flowers.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hello Everyone!!

Great pics...

My heart is racing. I would love to see his yard and smell all of those blooms.

I certainly hope he doesn't loose part of his yard. That is a bummer..

Thanks for the pics!

Take care,

Laura

11 years ago

Goodness, that is a lot of plants! Good thing he doesn't have a homeowner's association to contend with. LOL! Does he have to dig all those up? I think you need to take some of those off his hands.

• beachplant
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:1210556}}
    {{gwi:1210559}}
    {{gwi:1210564}}
    {{gwi:1210567}}
    {{gwi:1210569}}
    {{gwi:1210570}}
    {{gwi:1210571}}
    {{gwi:1210572}}
    {{gwi:1210573}}
    {{gwi:1210574}}
    {{gwi:1210576}}

• beachplant
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:1210578}}
    {{gwi:1210580}}
    {{gwi:1210581}}

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Ooh, nice shots, Tally. Can you make them any larger? If you're on Flickr then you just click the size selector and recopy the code to post.