Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumeriapusher

Anyone have Thai Yellow Violet??

Kimo
9 years ago

Hey Y'all
I bought about 15 cultivars of plumeria from a seller in Thailand, May 2009.
This Thai seller was selling via Ebay under the name "Montrayo". I asked a plumieholic friend (waving @ Gabby) who can not help herself when it comes to buying and importing from Thailand, even with all her losses via the Ag dept and fraudulent sellers, if she had ever bought from this seller. I was told she had bought a bunch of stuff from him over the years (Multiple shipments), with no issue up to that point with the ones that had bloomed being true to what she ordered. Well I went a head and bought 15 different varieties from him and received the cuttings with no issues, other then the cuttings all kind of looking a like (color, thickness, leaf scars,etc). When I did receive my shipment I contacted my friend again and she stated that the last shipment she received from Montrayo bloomed that week and they were not the plumies she ordered.
Maybe because of abuse (had many of the 15 plants in the solo cups I rooted them in years later.) the first one bloomed 2 seasons ago and it was Lemon Candy (well I am assuming based on the cooler growing temps and abuse.), looked similar to Lemon candy, just not as saturated in color. Well 2 more seasons go by and now I have 4 of the original 15 that have inflos now, with Lemon Candy that leaves 10 to bloom still..lol

I am attaching pics of Yellow Violet in Thailand to compare the pic of what I have labeled as Yellow Violet blooming right now. To me with the lack of the intense Thai heat, humidity and sun, looks similar... what do y'all think???

Oh the flowers are about 4" so far and have a scent of Jasmine, very sweet and perfume like.

Thai Yellow Violet in Thailand:

My Thai Plumie from Ebay Yellow Violet:

So if you have Yellow Violet would appreciate the feed back as to what you think?

Thanks

Comments (9)

• plumejunkie
    9 years ago

That's awesome James! I'll have to keep an eye out for that 1.
    Let's see...............color seems to be in the right spot, similar petals, has the leaf curl, same throat............I'd say it's on the money.
    I would think that your colors will intensify, being this is only the first year it's bloomed.
    Exciting times!!!

Jason

• Kimo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jason,
    Thanks. I actually googled Yellow Violet Plumeria and found a pic that my friend Gabby posted back in the day on MPG. Gabby's Yellow VIolet looks exact to mine, so I am assuming she purchased hers from the same source...lol.

Cheers

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Very pretty flower, I need to add it to my list. Thanks to everyone that list is getting longer and longer. LOL Thanks for sharing. Barb

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Looks. fab....!!!

Always beautiful, James!!

Looks like your winner!!!!

Hope your are having a great season.. I hear its really hot out there.

My leaves are starting to turn and its time to start thinking of bringing them in for the winter. Maybe in another month. Yikes!

Yours looks like the Thai Yellow Violet in the pic!!! Gorgeous!!!

Take care!!

Laura.

• Kimo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Barb,
    Thanks... I think she's a keeper.

Laura,
    WOW.. Can u believe how fast the the season went, seemed like yesterday you were dragging all your plants out @ the beginning of the season. Always sad when fall comes. In So Cal we still have till Nov for blooms and some growth.
    Thanks for the feed back and compliment.

Took this pic last night of a new flower on Yellow Violet. Temps for the past 4 days were 75/76 and nights were about 64. Even with the cooler temps the bloom is still large and the colors are good.

Thanks to everyone for the feed back.

Cheers

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 2:49

• No-Clue
    9 years ago

Looks like the real deal to me too. Very beautiful!

• Kimo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laura and Lynn thanks....

Seasons almost over and for some reason the patch is blowing up, most blooms ive gotten all season..

Cheers

• rox146
    9 years ago

Have you had perfect conditions then? roxanne

• Kimo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rox I think the heat wave last week, my patch had 3 or 4 days of heat around 90 with higher humidity per my weather app on my Iphone. Its been cooler this week, in the mid 70s with night temps in the upper 60s with up to 75 plus percent humidity @ nights, so I guess thats whats causing my plants to blow up. I had neglected them all season, no watering for 3 to 5 weeks in some case, shriveled branches, stunted growth (no leaves growing), might have caused my plants to go into survival mode where they put out inflos and flowers in order to try a last ditch effort to reproduce/seeds. So I do not know which of the 2 scenarios is causing the blooms, but when I went by my patch on Sunday and today it was blooms galore..

Cheers

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x