Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjhuntingtonbeach

Pretty Princess Sept 2014

PP was a bit disappointing most of the season - I think it has issues with the marine layer this close to the ocean and between the cooler temps and the resulting mildew it struggles. But just like last year, September seems to bring on weather that really makes this plumeria burst. Still not warm enough here for the deep pinks and bright oranges this variety can produce, it is still one of my favorites.

Comments (14)

• rox146
    9 years ago

looks gorgeous to me!

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Mike,
    Def looks like royalty to me, fabulous blooms. I love the colors and the markings. Def a gorgeous keeper.

Thanks

• rox146
    9 years ago

where did you find this one? Any left? roxanne

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

It's a beauty, Mike!!

Gorgeous blooms. It is fitting for royalty!! ;-)

Take care,

Laura

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roxanne,

I ordered this beauty from a Thai vendor in 2008. Somehow it made it through the LA USDA check (I've heard they now seize most shipments of plants, at least into LA). It's not one I've seen for sale often since then, never on Ebay, although I think one or two vendors in FL might have it.

I'm currently trying to root some cuttings from the tree I have but they've been slow to root (started them back in April). Three of four just now seem to be showing some life, but I still couldn't swear they were rooting.

Laura, James, thanks for the kind comments. And yes, definitely a keeper.

Mike

• isobea
    9 years ago

Roxanne, I have this vague memory that Pretty Princess might have been on the list of rooted plants for sale at the San Diego Plumeria Society sale on Aug. 30-31. Tried to find the list just now, but it's not on their website anymore. Still, you could contact the club to find out if it was on the list and who the seller was. Just a thought...
    Good luck!
    Iso

• rox146
    9 years ago

thankyou so much....roxanne

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Roxanne,

I also remember seeing it listed as well...check island ( Matt ) I know it can be found in your area. I'll ask a few for you!! ;-)

Its a beauty, Mike!! Lucky it got in.. I hear so many having issues with CA .
    I guess. They are just very strict and seize lots of shipments. Even some sellers send them to different states to avoid having Thai plants arrive in CA. I understand the reasoning, but I hear of horror stories too.. Sad ...

Hi Iso!! Waving from across the country!! Hope you are well !! Miss you !!

Have a good day!!

Laura.

Rox. I'll send you a message.

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roxanne,

I don't recall seeing it on the list of varieties at the San Diego sale last month but I may be wrong. But I just checked, both Florida Colors and Brads Buds and Blooms have it, both for $35. But at this late point in the year, not sure you'd want to chance ordering. I recently got a pretty beat up potted plumeria and I'm crossing my fingers that it survives since there's not much time for recovery from shipping before dormancy.

• rox146
    9 years ago

you are so right Mike, I will wait till next frenzy....2015!

• SouthernFried
    9 years ago

Stunningly beautiful! WoW!

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well after a week plus of hellish heat, my PP showed some extra pop and color. Definitely a keeper.

• plumerias_lover
    9 years ago

Very pretty!

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Just beautiful and love the color and size of it. What a keeper. Barb