Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Tootin' my own horn

Or better yet 'Dang! California Sunset sure grows fast!'. :)

I was going through some old pics and was shocked at how small it was when I bought it late May of this year (it's on the left).

Now it's around 30" tall and a little over 3' wide!

Frida wondered what all the fuss was about while I was snapping pics. ;)

I've got two inflos. Ones about to bloom. I've read you can mist them during the winter to keep them alive until next year. Gonna try it!

-Robert

Comments (20)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Wow, that's some growth going on there, Robert! Looking good! :)

Frida is looking a bit protective. She belongs on the plumie protector thread.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Moonie!

Ha! Frida will protect as long as you keep the biscuits coming! ;)

-Robert

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

yeah, she's a little round like I am. I like my biscuits, too! :)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Looking good bud! Yours is growing quite a bit faster then mine. That's awesome you have new inflos

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Moonie,

Ah if we lived near each other you could join us on our walks! ;)

Mike,

Thanks! Yea this is the one that collapsed (the one I freaked out about). Clearly it didn't stunt its growth that much! :)
    Only my Inca Gold is getting close to being as bushy as my CS.

Hoping next year some of my 8 others will bloom so I can boast about them. Laugh.

-Robert

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Well obviously they are receiving excellent care and nutrition to make them healthy, happy and fat. Plants look pretty good too!

It`s not fat, it`s winter insulation.
    Tally HO!

• nativec
    11 years ago

Toot away! LOL Looks great!

Happy growing!

Nicole

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Robert, she looks great! You've done a good job and she'll reward you with even more blooms next year.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

I am amazed at how many tips it is developing. It's going to be one wide baby that will take up a substantial chunk of real estate at this rate! ;)

-Robert

11 years ago

Now that Im looking at it on my computer instead of my phone I am even more amazed at the amount of growth. My CA Sunset was the smaller size than yours but it probably has only grown a few inches on each tip.

What are you feeding that monster, LOL.

My inca is struggling terribly. It looked great when I got it but when I went to re-pot it only had one tiny little root just like my jenny did. The jenny has rooted great and grown good since, but IG is just sitting there wrinkled and looking sad.

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mike!

Sorry to hear yours hasn't grown much. I think mine has since I try to give it as much sun as possible and I water it daily (it's in a fast draining mix) and use Dynamite slow release fertilizer (and occasionally Dyna-Gro when giving it liquid fertilizer).

Also sorry to hear about your Inca Gold! I know I snatched up the one from last year that you passed on. :(
    I think I might plant mine in the ground next year on the south side of the house since mine has grown so big and dig it up, strip off the leaves and store it down in the basement before the first frosts every year.
    There's a guy who lives on Trenton between 14th and 15th street who does this with his plumie (in my neighborhood). His house is in-between two apartment complexes and his yard is extensively landscaped (that's what he does for a living). It's huge! 10-12' tall with pink flowers (I asked and he doesn't know the cultivar).
    You should check it out if you've the time.

-Robert

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Great job Robert! You and Frida are making that plant very happy!!!

11 years ago

Thanks Robert. I guess mine is just slow. I feed it and the others foliage pro half strength every friday during the growing season. also put some miracle grow slow release with minors. I know my JJ's i bought in 2011 really took off this year. Probably added a good 2 to 3 feet per tip so maybe next year my CA and the others will do the same.

Thats interesting your neighbor does that. I wont be in this house come next spring but I do plan to put a few inground and try that out. I was driving through a neighborhood somewhere in midtown, wasnt there though I know that, and saw someone had a plumeria on their porch. it wasnt in bloom but it was pretty good size.

I wonder just how many people in town are like us but we dont know it.

mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

I supspect many!

There are three other houses near mine with plumies. On the corner of 19th & Yorktown there's a house with a huge old Celadine on their front porch (they bring it out every year). Thanks to this forum I confirmed it was Celadine by the leaves (of course I also sniffed the blooms while I was inspecting the leaves!). :)
    Also on the corner of 17th Pl and Victor there's a house with several plumies growing in their sunroom and they bloom inside without ever being taken outside! I suspect they're probably Celadine.
    Then one street over on 17th St between Victor and Yorktown there's a two story white house with two plumies on their porch.

I think it's high time we started a plumie group! :)

-Robert

11 years ago

Wow!! Midtown is representing plumeria very well!!

Here is my CA as of just now. Its pretty much been this size all summer. I repotted it and the others in Fafard 52 with coarse perlite. Same as my bigger ones that have gone crazy. I guess this one is just hanging out. Its blooms were great though.

Mike

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Wow Mike, that's quite an inflo!! Long and lanky. :)

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Robert,
    Sorry I didn't respond to your question on growing plumeria over the winter. I have done this for the past 2 winters now. The 1st winter was my first with growing plumerias. I had bought a Dwarf Singapor Pink that went on sale from Stoke's Tropicals. With it being evergreen, I figured I would at least give it a try. I didn't have any good forms of natural light so I put it under shop lights. Amazingly, it still grew and produced it's first 2 inflos, however, the buds never opened, and they dropped.

The following year, I had gone from having a few plumeria to having around 60! I had posted here that I had been searching for a 'Penang Peach'. I recieved an email from a woman that had a PP that she was willing to sell to me. The best part was that it had a HUGE inflo! I bought it and placed it under my 600 watt HPS light. There it thrived, bloomed and i got to enjoy fully colored flowers, and the heady peach/baby powder fragrance.

I will say I did have to be more vigilant in terms of pest control. I did have a good enviroment for my plumeria but i also created a good enviorment for spider mites, and other pests.

I kept the light on for at least 12 hours, and as far as watering, I kept it slightly more dry. I watered once every 5 or 6 days. Trying to keep them happy and growing but also not keeping my soil mix too wet, was a little tricky at first. I would just start out with maybe 1/2 cup of water for a 1 gal pot and see how your tree responds. I really don't think you will get away with just misting.

Good luck, and keep us posted. I will try to post some pics of how I keep my plumeria growing over the winter. I try to just keep it to cuttings that I rooted this year, and then to any plumeria that were blooming, or are producing inflos now.

Andrew

Original Author
    11 years ago

Looking good, Mike! I'm sure yours will catch up with mine in no time.

Andrew,

Thanks so much for the lengthy info! The person on the fragrant forum who told me about the technique of keeping his inflos alive during winter said his are dormant (no leaves). He just occasionally mists the inflos. Hmmm...don't know what to do now! I guess I can just try to enjoy the flowers I get before the first frosts and see how it goes this winter!

-Robert

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Ahh, Mike... there is always a wayward one in the bunch, but I see the beauty there! :)

Andrew - do you think your buds dropped because of the light situation or because of low humidity? I'm asking because I have a DSP just now pushing out an inflo. The weather is seeming a little weird to me and I'm afraid of an early winter. Probably just me worrying? But, I might have to be bringing it in before it blooms. If DSP blooms along the same ohcomeonalready schedule, it should bloom around the first of November.

I like Frida. The little dark spots on the white part of her muzzle and the white tip of her tail. So cute!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Moonie!

She's got cute little spots all over her belly and inside of her legs as well. ;)

-Robert

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH