Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pat9240

One stem plumeria

pat9240
10 years ago

Bought a Plumeria today but it only has a single stem. I hope this was not a big mistake. Can anyone help me with what to do next. I live in Texas. I spent the day gathering materials for the Gritty Mix. I am expecting some seeds and a plant from BBB any day and wanted to be ready. I already failed with seeds sent to me by a couple of wonderful ladies from this forum. I do not want to fail again.

Comments (19)

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Pat,
    I know this plumie fanatic that has been collecting for over a decade and she only buys single tipped plants. Her reasoning is that a single tip is more likely to bloom, usually a multi tipped plant/cutting has bloomed recently and unless its a dwarf or compact grower it will take a bit before it blooms again. Based on your pic and how tall your plants looks I would think it would bloom for you this up coming season, or by the end of it.
    Enjoy

• pat9240
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Freak4plumeria that is very encouraging. Just hope I can keep it alive.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Pat, don't give up, we've all had some failures along the way. Your new plant looks good--if upside down, lol--and I would probably just top up the pot with good soil.

In Texas plants like that with high foliage can sunburn on the base of the trunk, so I keep my soil level very close to the rim so no heat can radiate from the inside of the pot and scorch the trunk. Other than that, just don't over-water through winter and let them enjoy as much sun as possible. Good luck!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Looks good to me too!!!

I would not repot until next spring, early summer and I would also wait to reevaluate as to container size. You may want to go to a five gallon size considering the size of this beauty. Then you can work with the soil of your choice..

We all will help you, so don't worry!!

Let it enjoy your new home and let it rest when it is ready...

It's a beautiful tree!! Congratulations!!

Take care,

Laura

• pat9240
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Laura for your comments. I had already returned to the car deciding not to buy this one and only plant this nursery had because it was a single stem. I looked on my iPad and found that it might be OK So I went back in the lady gave me 10 per cent discount so of course I bought it. Next stop the co-op. I saw a container marked Plumeria Food I bought that. Now do I fertilize at all from now till Spring?

• pat9240
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello friends I just picked this Plumeria up from the Post Office. It is about 22 inches long with nice roots. Do I plant this in a water bottle or just plant it in a container? Do I fertilize since we are close to going dormant? Hate to be so ignorant about these beautiful plants, but I am just starting.

• pcput
    10 years ago

Pat - Sorry no one has gotten back to you yet. Great that baby potted up. You don't want those beautiful roots to dry out. You won't fertilize until spring now.
    Don't feel too bad about your one tip wonder as I have a pudica that is 5 feet tall now that is a single tip. I keep threatening it with cutting but keep hoping for blooms. Come spring it is going to get shorten and hopefully the top will root and I'll have two.
    Peg

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

What kind is it?

No need to fertilize until April in TX 8b. I would put it into a 2.5 quart or 1 gal container with a fast drain soil mix of your choice. Give it about 2 weeks in a warm part sun location and then find a nice sunny spot for it to settle in for the rest of our warm weather.

Chances are pretty good you can keep it out until Thanksgiving. I typically bring mine into the greenhouse around the end of Nov or early Dec.

• pat9240
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The rooted cutting is Candy Stripe. The one stem larger the nursery did not know the name. I did exactly as you suggested. It looks really nice all potted up. I watered it really good with water with a little Super Thrive. Now it's up to the little rascal to do its thing. Thanks for your time, so appreciated.

• pat9240
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This plumeria has a soft branch on the right where it is attached to the main trunk.The rest of the plant seems to be OK. Is the rest of the plant going to survive? Any help here would be appreciated.

• pat9240
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well here I am getting through the first winter with my one stem plumeria. It tried to bloom just as it got cold and never did finish. All leaves dropped off and about 4 inches from top is a soft spot. Do I cut it off below that soft spot? Am I going to lose it? My other 3 plants also seem to have soft places on the branches...HELP!

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Pat, sorry I missed your October question, but it does look like rot on that one branch. Yes, cut it below that spot and let it heal over.

Are the other spots soft like a ripe avocado (a sign of dehydration in winter) or soft and brown like your photo?

• pat9240
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I took a knife to all (4) of the Plumeria I had. They all had that brown mushy. I cut the one stem down to a white area and a couple look like the roots might be viable. I am going to try to repot the two roots and keep an eye on the one stem. I believe my future gardening will not include Plumeria. I have neither the patience or the time these plants require.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear that, Pat! Is it possible they all got too much water, or were in a mix that doesn't drain quickly? The funny thing is, the more neglect they get the more they seem to thrive, especially in hot climates.

However, they are vulnerable to rot when they're very newly rooted, especially that first winter.

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Pat, I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles :( Like Jandey said, we have all felt your pain and know how frustrating it can be.

Usually rot is caused by too much cold and / or wet. You could also see something fairly similar with severe dehydration. If a plumeria gets much below about 45 degrees or exposed to low temps for long periods it will develop rot.

Good drainage is also important as has been mentioned. In the winter they need less water, especially if they've gone dormant.

As Jandey also mentioned, they don't require a lot of care during the warmer months and our climate is perfect for them although they must be protected in the winter. A lot of folks have extra cuttings in the spring and I just know if you want to give it another shot I know these wonderful people here would send you some for free to try again.

If it makes you feel any better - or at least know you're in good company - I over-wintered my collection incorrectly one year and lost EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. It took a few years for me to try again because I was so crushed, but I am back at it and love it!

• pat9240
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jandey and Elucas 101 for these encouraging words. I live in the country and I have a greenhouse attached to my husbands barn. It got pretty cold in there and I think my husband watered my plumeria as he was watering the rest of my plants. I have been under the weather for a few months now and wasn't able to take care of things. I am hoping the one stem will come around. I have it in the house right now but do I water it or fertilize? I do still have a few seeds to try but I don't think I have that kind of time at my age to see them grow. Maybe if I see some plants at Lowes I will give it another try. Again thanks for the support.....

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

You can do it.. It happened to me too! We all have these Issues, but seldom Do we talk about it. We learn through our mistakes, pick up the pieces and adjust . Then continue on and fix the problems...

We can help you with cuttings ... No worries!

Have a restful sleep and know you are not alone.

Jen and Emily have said everything that I would say... They are awesome!!!

Come spring. We can help!!!

Take good care!

Laura

• pat9240
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Laura. I guess I just wanted to vent I was so upset but do realize it was my own fault.

• TROPICALDON
    10 years ago

If lose one plant I buy two more. This year trying to graft back onto plant after cutting plant. I look over my plants regularly and pull problems to treat.