Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

just shoot me now....I am doing seeds again

rox146
10 years ago

Well, my smaller of the 2 seed pods opened and I decided to do it again since the parent tree is a really good one, I call her Marilyn's premium pink.

The photo shows how I chose to do it this time...24 hours between moist paper towels and that is covered in plastic and sat in a warm location. the seeds that are viable are the puffed up ones 24 hours later. roxanne

Comments (19)

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here they are after 24 hours and most are puffed up. I am going to put the ones the leaf is pointing to all together in the same hole on top of each other and see what happens as they were kind of broken and mess up...who knows...just for fun...roxanne

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

close up of how they puff up

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this time I am gang potting them, 14 to a pot instead of individuals. This time I will pull the weaker or plain green looking ones.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

covered at night to stay warmer, top off during the day and a sunny location. Tooth pick holes too.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

my next seed pod to do in a few weeks from a FABULOUS cutting from the Wailea shopping Center on Maui. See the crack in the middle?

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this is the flower from the parent plant I did 25 seeds from in '05....not really a big deal....nice light scent though.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

AND....this is why we do seeds...the thrill of what you can get. This is the second year for this seedling blooming from the previous parent/flower. The scent is vanilla and the back is pretty too shown in the background. When it bloomed for the first time last year, it did not look this interesting...so, let's see what next year brings.

Cannot wait for the Wailea one as it is a real keeper of a happy blooming tree and outstanding scent and petal quality. Alohas and Mahalo, roxanne

• astrl
    10 years ago

Very nice!

I, too, planted some of my seeds from my two recent seedpods even though I really don't need any more new plants to care for. It's like a disease! LOL

Honestly, I wasn't sure about the seeds from the second one because none of the seeds grew last year. I'm starting to wonder if that was really the case though because they took a really long time this year and I almost gave up on them. Good thing I didn't.

astrl

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I read on here about some people who get their's to bloom so fast....my 1st '05 seedling did not bloom till 2010! roxanne

• chuy415
    10 years ago

wow Roxanne!! super exciting!! I received 30 mixed seeds from ebay! I was very excited, but now not so!! only 3 out of 18 that i put in paper towels have puffed and did germinate for me, the rest sadly did not make it and I lost due to mold. Frustrating. Live and learn. you must be in heaven and I'd do the same if I were you.. lol.

Chuy

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Roxanne, are you going to start seeds this winter? I still have some seeds and I don't know if I should start them next spring or I could do it during winter with heating mat and lights and everything.... in my dining room. :)

Mima

This post was edited by SagoLover on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 12:35

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Wow Rox,

Very impressive! You have the whole system down pat. I have a few seed pods earlier in the season but they all rotted! So I never even had a chance to experiment.

Good luck with yours! I can't wait to see more updates!

Have a great day.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sago...this is the same as when I did it in '05...I carry them around like babies and they end up in the sun room when it is really cold....

• astrl
    10 years ago

rox,
    Do you happen to remember what the flower looked like during the first bloom? I've read that they can change during the first three flowerings, but I am curious about how much they can change.

astrl

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, this red last year in it's first year, did not have the scent yet or the stripy thing down the petal...anxious for next year.

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Ok, good to know I'm not the only one.

Mima

• astrl
    10 years ago

How interesting, rox. I have a pretty one with either a weak or no scent in the first blooming. I hope it develops.

Sago - You are definitely not alone. :)

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The 2nd seed pod on the really wonderful 3 year old cutting from the Wailea shopping center opened today and the seeds look great...Now to start 50 more????? This is nuts! roxanne

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Rox, that is a very cool looking seedling! Wonderful well defined starburst center--definitely a keeper!

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years