Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_in_maryland

First Plumeria

mike_in_maryland
10 years ago

Brought first plumeria back from Hawaii and practiced planting to a tee on most forums. Now have lovely leaves, but starting to get chilly at night here in Md so brought inside. Still have not watered since planting. Have a perfect SW facing window, but approaching a critical time. Should I provide a little water? Even with a SW facing window, should I still provide a grow light? If the leaves fall I assume the plant is going dormant. Cannot wait to see the plant come alive this spring, but looking for tips to make sure it survives winter. Many thanks.

Comments (14)

• dpolson37
    10 years ago

Hi Mike,

Living near you in Virginia, I would say to put it back outside and give it a watering. This time of year I still leave mine outside, but don't water much. With yours just coming alive you'll want to keep it growing as long as possible so the roots will grow.

I've got one in a similar situation that is outside along a fence that faces south. I let it get pretty dry and then soak it good. My leaves are about the same as yours.

Welcome to the club. If you are near Alexandria, VA I will offer up another one to add to your collection if you are interested.

Here are some of mine that are blooming right now.

Samoan Fluff and E.T. Lemon Drop.

Big Wave Dave

• mike_in_maryland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave,

Many thanks. I am in Annapolis. Contrary to many things I have read, given the photograph of your flowers, I have put it back outside facing SW and will allow this afternoon's expected rain to provide the water. I actually planted it on August 10th this year so it has been growing only about 5-1/2 weeks, but have not watered since potting.

When do you expect they will go dormant?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Welcome, Mike!!!!

Laura

• mike_in_maryland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura,

Thank you for the welcome. I did take a photo today of the plant and took Dave's advice and put it outside for a good watering. Just brought it back into the house after bailing on the Nats game so I think it got a good drink. Being brand new to this I really don't want to lose the plant over the winter.

I bought it at the Honolulu Airport, which had white, pink, yellow, and red. I really like the white with the almost air brushed yellow center, but I have no idea what the actual variety is, but I appreciate getting great advice from experts like yourself and Dave. I scanned a bit of the forum this evening and it seems you both have quite the collection. Dave, absolutely loved the pictures of your daughter's plants and my wife did as well.

Many thanks to you both for the help.

10 years ago

Hi Mike!!!

Lol... You are more than welcome.. But , I am not an expert!! Just have a few. ;-).

You have a few of us in the Commonwealth that grow Plumeria and the Dave that responded to you is Dave ( Big Wave Dave) . He is in Alexandria and the Dave with the cute daughter that planted flowers is another Dave. He goes by ( Dave In Nova). He also lives in Northern Virginia. Then there is Peg who lives in Virginia Beach as well as myself.

Lots of wonderful people and experts here to help you with any and all of your questions... I will be more than willing to help you in any way.

You might even have some new orphans sent your way.. I know that Dave in northern Va might have something to give to a good home as well as others here in the 757 !!!

The Plumeria tree looks really healthy and you have done a great job growing this special gift from your vacation from Hawaii!!

It's a good thing your wife is excited too!!! We all have spouses that tolerate our obsessions!! LOL!!!!

Again, welcome....

Take care,

Laura

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

LOL Laura! If YOU only have a FEW plumeria, then I only have 1 or 2 myself! LMAO!

Andrew

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Mike, just be careful when you bring it in for good to not overwater. The first winter is the most vulnerable time for a newly rooted plumeria, and most people will overwater it while it's trying to shut down and go dormant. There won't be enough roots to take up water, and rot will result.

For a plant as young as yours you can probably not water at all for a couple months. But if it keeps its leaves and looks like it's still awake, give it just a dribble of water at the outer edges of the pot, not close to the trunk, once a month or so. They need very little water during winter, even when active. Good luck!

10 years ago

Great advice , Jen!!

I agree. Let it dry out before you bring it in. I would leave it alone and NOT cut any leaves. ;-). It is very fragile at this point but you will do fine taking care of it this winter. Find a nice sunny spot for it and if the leaves fall then it's trying to rest. No worries. Like Jen mentioned , water using the rim method is best on new trees .

Let's keep an eye in it and we can watch what the plant decides to do.. I bet it loved the rain we just had. Let it dry out again before you water and I would not let it stay outside below 45 degrees. Watch the weather and bring it in. Personally, I would be extremely careful with a newly rooted tree in the cold and after it was watered. Let it dry out.

You have done a great job in growing this beauty!!! The leaves indicate that it is growing roots and is very healthy!!.

Great job , Mike!!

Andrew. LMAO!! You are too funny !! I actually laughed out loud when I read this post!! I guess you have a few extras too?

;-)

Take care,

Laura

• pcput
    10 years ago

Welcome Mike_in_Maryland. Look how it's grown already. Your doing a good job. It can be a challenge in VA in the winter but you have good advice here. With our cool temps tonight (low 50's) I brought a couple of mine in but most are still good to go outside until the 40's. We still have a few weeks of warm left. The 2 I brought in have had black tip so am trying to baby them this year. Watering or lack there of, is the most important part of getting them through the winter. If in doubt, better to underwater.
    Peg

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

I agree with the light watering around the edge of the container. Any chance you can also get a heating pad or mat to help keep the soil temperature higher than ambient? Maybe you can prolong its growing season a bit more. Anything rooted late in the season is best to keep from going dormant (as if we have much of a choice when it decides to go to sleep).

You might have gotten lucky and gotten a Celadine cutting from the Airport Kiosk. I think hey used to come from Molokai Plumeria farm but that was a few years ago. Best of luck with it.

• mike_in_maryland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Laura and KMS2. I have read about heat pads, but being new to this, is that something I can buy locally or should buy via the Web?

10 years ago

Hi Mike,
    Check out any local hydroponic store.. They sell these seedling mats just for seedlings. Some times you find them in Lowes in the spring, but you might have a better chance at a local hydroponic store. Most go on to Amazon and search for hydrofarm seedling mats.. They work great!

Looking good, Mike!!!

;-)

Laura

• amhkgn
    10 years ago

Hi, consider that your plant may also be Samoan Fluff. That's one of the cuttings they commonly sell in Hawaii, it has a slightly smaller yellow center, compared to Celadine.

I've gotten both as cuttings in the gift stores when I've visited Maui the past, and both of my packages had the names of the plants in small print. Best of luck with your new plant. They can be so addictive, with their wonderful, scented blooms.

• mike_in_maryland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Amhkgn, thank you for the response. I was able to track down the supplier as "Grow Hawaii" and sent them an email asking if they have a specific "white" plumeria or if it is a "you get what you get" type. Hopefully when it flowers, I can work with the enthusiasts on this forum to figure it out. Best to all.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor