Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delwh_gw

Plumeria Sale

DelWH
11 years ago

Anyone near Solano Beach and who doesn't have enough plumerias yet, there is a sale Saturday. Just FYI.

Pacific Plumeria Wholesale to the Public Sale

Saturday, September 29

9:00 am - 4:00 pm

423 North Rios Avenue, Solana Beach, CA 92075

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumeria gallery

Comments (26)

• georgecc
    11 years ago

DelWH, I hope you don't mind me adding to the Plumeria Sale posting, but for those without enough plumerias, but living much further up the coast, Island Plumeria in Northridge (San Fernando Valley) has it's open house tomorrow, with 15% off all the plants.

• toomanydogs
    11 years ago

Why did they pick the exact same day? Just to torture those of us who live an hour and a half away from both of them? Should I leave home at 6:30, race up to Northridge, dash home to unload the spoils and then drive down to Solano Beach? Tomorrow may be a very long day.....

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Hey! what did ya`ll buy???
    Tally Ho!

• georgecc
    11 years ago

The sale at Island Plumeria was pretty amazing. People were grabbing plants right and left. I thought I'd be there an hour or so, but before I knew it I had been there 3 hours, was late for a meeting, and had only picked one plumeria (Lutica - Jandey made a very convincing argument for this one). So I left and came back three hours later and narrowed the second plant down to Thornton Lilac, Kimo, Lillian Chin, Miami Rose, Vera Cruz Rose, Irma Bryant/Hilo Red, and Barbados Showgirl/Confetti. This was extra hard because, as I mentioned, people were picking up plants right and left! I finally ended up with a noid, a plumeria that had such an amazing scent that it stopped me every time I came near. It was labeled "Rainbow 36".

Matthew the owner at Island got the cutting from someone, but it had no identification, so he calls it Rainbow 36 for now. Well, here's a pic below - as beautiful as Rainbow 36 is - it smells even better. I think No-Clue got me thinking more about scent. No-Clue, if you're reading this - Bali Hai Gold has an incredible scent - and Rainbow 36's scent is truly amazing!

And I met toomany dogs - Allison, who I had only emailed with before. She got some beauties at the sale!

Of course, as I got home, I had to email Island and ask if they were still available, if he could hold a Vera Cruz Rose and Miami Rose for me.

Island has added a second sale for this Saturday the 6th (8-4), 15% off everything. There's a lot of nice stuff there.

• georgecc
    11 years ago

I meant "a pic above..."

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

You guys are so lucky in CA.
    Here in North Texas only HD carries noids occassionaly.
    None this year though.
    Lonnie

• jandey1
    11 years ago

That's one good-looking rainbow you found, Simi. Love the shape and colors.

Three hours and only two plants is pretty good self-control. Now I'm nervous Lutica won't live up to the hype!

• toomanydogs
    11 years ago

It was great meeting George SimiDude at the sale. I just waited until I saw someone pick up the Lutica, complete giveaway of his identity! I got: Musk Rainbow, My Valentine, Allison, Butterfly Gold and Lilly Warmtoes. Who could resist a plumeria called Lilly Warmtoes? And it looks beautiful from Matthew's picture. Couldn't fit any more in the car or I would have gotten a Rainbow 36 and the Gloria Schmidt too. Need a bigger car....

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Jandey, no pressure, I'm sure I'll love Lutica, and the scent you described. It's nice when you're shopping and thinking of people and their tips and suggestions, then you can share with them what you got. I appreciate all your help and tips. Now, on the self control part, you give me too much credit (See Inca Gold vs Heidi)!

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Allison,
    Great pickup on the Butterfly Gold and Musk Rainbow!!!
    Lonnie

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Lily warmtoes! Who can resist is right.
    Tally HO!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Rainbow 36 is a beaut! Turning up the smell-o-vision on my monitor right now.....hold on...... Wow! Love it!

LOL!

~dave

• georgecc
    11 years ago

I like that Smell-o-Vision on the monitor idea. Seeing and smelling plumerias online. That would be cool! And Rainbow 36 would be like the Technicolor of scents.

• toomanydogs
    11 years ago

The Butterfly Gold and Musk Rainbow are all the fault of pictures posted on this forum, you people are costing me a lot of money! Now I need George SimiDude to pick me up a Rainbow 36. We wanted it but had run out of room. Bigger car, maybe a truck?

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Allison,

Just picked up your trees from Island that wouldn't fit in your Prius! 5.5' Gloria Schmidt and a 4' Rainbow 36 - hope you like the ones I picked! Quite a good deal. Can't wait till we meet and you can see them in person.

There's still a lot left for the 15% sale this Saturday, in case there are a few more you want! Right now, my family is placing bets on whether I will show restraint (no more plumeria till 2013) or not!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

can we get in on this bet?

Very nice plants! Sigh, we all need to have a big u-haul rental truck don't we?

Tally HO!

• toomanydogs
    11 years ago

Thank you so much, SimiDude! You have chosen wonderful specimens, truly shapely plumeria. Matthew has excellent specimens. How long has he been growing plumeria, do you know?

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Beachplant, I have a feeling I know which way you guys would bet on!

Allison, you're very welcome.

Today is the day when Southern CA dropped harshly into Autumn. On Monday, the weather will be plummeting to a chilly 73! And the nights 55! Fall is the time when all of us are forced to go from tank tops to short sleeve t-shirts. It's a rough change. The winter is even more harsh, then we're forced to go from short-sleeve to LONG-sleeve t-shirts. It's a good thing we're a tough people, and we can adjust. Please pray for us during this difficult transition.

And if you're going to the sale Saturday, make sure to put on that short-sleeve t-shirt. Protect yourself from the elements!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Sigh, you would bring up winter. I haven't dug the long sleeve t's out yet. I do have my winter footwear ready to go, some people call them socks, here they are winter footwear with flip-flops.

65 for low on Sunday and 74!! for a high, can 74 be a high? 55, dude you need a coat for those temps.

Stay warm out there
    Tally HO!

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Texas weather. 86 today, 45 in the morning and high 57 tomorrow & Sunday. Then back to low 60's in am & 80 afternoons. I just moved all plumies up against the house for extra warmth overnight. Then Monday move them back out around the pool. A few more weeks and they come in the house. I'm so bumed. Lonnie

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Oh wow!! What great finds! Congrats and thank you for the head's up about Bali Hai Gold. I will definitely add that to my list.

I didn't go to the sale b/c I have close to 70 plants already. I don't really know how I got there! So I'm waiting until I moved and see if I can even fit what I have. But I have a wish list going... so hard to sit on my hands and not buy!

You have quite a collection now and I love how most of your plants are big plants. Thanks for sharing!

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Thanks to everyone who posted these great pics. NOW I NEED THAT RAINBOW 36!! LMAO! Sad that it isn't really a named variety so for me to actually get my handsd on one is highly unlikely but at this point, I would be almost willing to cut off my left arm for a rooted cutting...Oh but then how am I going to grow these trees with one arm and one hand..LMAO!

Andrew

• DelWH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, you may want to rethink that. LOL

• toomanydogs
    11 years ago

Um, Andrew, perhaps before contemplating self-mutilation for a Rainbow 36 you should contact Matthew of Island Plumeria and see if he would ship you one or send you a cutting? Per his website: "You can reach us at 818-970-2483 or info@islandplumeria.com ." He seemed well stocked with this variety, whatever it really is.

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Andrew, I love Rainbow 36, but I wouldn't pay an arm or a leg for it! It's a beauty, though. If mine had more branches I'd send you a cutting!

No-Clue, love that Bali Hai Gold and Rainbow 36 for scent.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

SImi...

I would take that bet too!

DO you know which way i would go? LMAO!! Same way i would bet on myself about my restraint!! : )

To manydogs.. THANK you for saving ANdrew's arm.. I think he would miss this helper when he needed to take care of his other trees.. LOL!!!

It is a beauty!! I can see why he would even think about losing an arm.. But, then again. I think i would wait for the next sale. We can always get more Andrew!!!

You are to funny!!!

Thanks for the pics SImi.. Beautiful!!!

Take care,

Laura

we are having temps at night down into the low 50's Brrrrr....

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths