Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
typical oklahoma

Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 20:35

our slogan should be this

hi welcome to oklahoma, please be sure you have a coat, jacket, shorts, t-shirt, long pants, flip flops, boots, tennis shoes, rain coat, sunglasses, sunscreen, gloves, umbrella, snow chains, blanket, and most important a smart phone with a reliable weather app with you at all times!!

prime example

today at 4pm it was 95 degrees 98 in tulsa. At 5pm a cold front came through and the winds picked up to 45mph with rain and 70 degree temps. By midnight it should be down into the upper 50's with lows sunday close to upper 40's.
Next week back up to mid 90's.

I promise you I have gone to work in the morning wearing short sleeves and leave in the afternoon wearing a coat and driving home in snow. It is no doubt a challenge to keep plants happy here.

anyways have good weekend!!!

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: typical oklahoma

That's just crazy, Mike! But never boring, huh? :)

Do you have to do a lot of moving of plants in and out in the fall and spring? Where do you store your plumies for winter?

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 21:54

Yeah it keeps you guessing. My tropicals go in the greenhouse but I do a lot of in and out early fall/ late spring. The nights will get too cold but the days can be perfect for outside. Keeps me young LOL.

o

I had two plumies blow over from the winds. :(
Fortunately my partner picked them up and moved them underneath the arbor. No branches were broken.
Should be interesting when our trees get bigger, eh? ;)

-Robert

o

Usually I love the wind. As I mentioned on another post the other day, I had my first broken branch when the wind blew one plumie over on another. Grrrr

o

Mike, you always make me laugh! We were 186 degrees here yesterday--give or take 80 degrees--and this morning I was able to throw open the windows with the "cool" breeze that came through. Finally we'll be in the low 90's more typical to Austin this time of year.

What brand of greenhouse do you have that withstands those Okie winds? I lived there in my childhood and remember the wild range of weather.

And p.s.: Please send rain.

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 12:05

Jandy. I know it can fell like 186 some days. I built a wood frame lean-to with just some 6mil poly. I tore it down and im building a bigger hoophouse this year.
Ill do my best rain dance for ya!

Robert. Glad you didn't have any damage. I had a few blown over also. 60 degrees this morning sure felt nice!

Mike

o

It sure was nice this morning. I built mine out of 2x4s, Simpson brackets, and polycarbonate corrugated sheets screwed to the wood frame. I use the same six mil plastic on the door and lower sides for easy venting. It's pretty rigid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here