Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

Ohcomeonalready! (as Jen says)

moonie_57 (8 NC)
11 years ago

Well, it has finally!

My noid, which DH was hoping is Celadine, opened it's first 2 blooms today. I'm going to give it several more blooms before I say it is not Celadine, but the flowers are smallish, a slight lemony scent and I can't for sure, but it looks like they may be completely yellow. Of course they opened while I was out of town today. :)

I will report back in a few days with a pic.

Comments (22)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Oh wow DH likes Celadine? They were selling some 2-3 branchers today for $10!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Yeah! Blooms!
    Tally Ho!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I had said that I would wait a few blooms before trying to decide if this is Celadine, but impatience and all.... :)

What do you think? The bloom has shown more white and the scent is better after the rain knocked off a bloom but it's still a light lemony/sweetness.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Mona, the leaf margin on Celadine is a dead giveaway. Wish I had a photo to illustrate, but if you look at any plumeria leaf, the edge has a line that runs just inside. Like this, just behind and above the inflo:

They all have it, but on a Celadine that line will be a double line, IIRC.

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Here is the double line of Celadine

tc,
    George

• beachplant
    11 years ago

You learn something new everyday!
    Tally HO!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As always I will apologize for the horrible cellphone pic but here's the double line. Maybe the blooms have a little stronger scent today, but I'm not sure. The petals are beginning to reflex.

So much for being patient and giving it some time to mature. :)

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Monie_57,
    that is definately Celadine.
    tc.
    George

• nativec
    11 years ago

Fascinating...I never know about the double margin. Thank you for the neat tid-bit of info.

Nicole

• nativec
    11 years ago

*knew LOL

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, George.

Why do you guys think the scent is so faint? Just immaturity?

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Monie_57,
    most Celadines bloom early around May-June. The temperatures are cooler and the smell is strong. Some branches bloom late. Some of mine are blooming now and the smell is not very strong. I think it is the heat.
    tc,
    George

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Mona,

Congrats on your Celadine! Yay! One of the best, for sure. If you like it now, you'll love it next spring :-)

Greg

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting the pic, George! Is it possible that some of Celadine's seedlings inherited that double margin, like Penang seedlings often inherit the leaf hook? It seems like there are so many Celadine lookalikes out there most of them must be seedlings.

Mona, I'm not sure if Celadine is known for a very strong fragrance, just a very pleasant one to all who sniff her. But as George says the heat probably isn't helping right now, and she'll probably also get better with age as Greg says. Have no fear!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

And, George, could you please send me an email--I have a rooting question for you. Thx!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Sorry to butt in on your thread but I'd like to know if my mystery one is a celadine or not as well.

Here is a picture of my new celadine cutting that I got recently -- it has a double margin line like you all stated.

Now here is a picture of my big mystery cutting I got from MPG. It looks like it has a double margin line too or is it just me? Could it be a celadine too or something else?

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

LOL... you guys remind me of the TTC message board when we were analyzing the double lines to see if we were pregnant. Hahaha!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Surely there are other varieties that have the double line, maybe??? But, yeah.. that is a double line, Kim.

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

You really have to look at the whole leaf (or at least more than half the leaf) to be able to tell for sure. Leafs have different shapes. Here is a leaf of a Margaret Pink seedling that has a double line. However, the color is bluer and more rounded than Celadine.

Here is Celadine.

Here are two more seedlings of Margaret Pink that have double lines and has slightly bluer color than Celadine.

All these Margaret Pink (deep pink color) flowers look like Celadine (yellow/white) and smell like Celadine but have the flower form of Margaret Pink. I beleive the polent parent for these seedlings is Celadine.

So you are right. There are seedlings out there with double lines in the leafs. But Celadine is the only registered variety that has double lines in the leafs.
    tc,
    George

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Also, note how Celadine leafs are shiny whereas all the seedling leafs are dull.

tc,
    George

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Now I will be looking at leaves to compare edges, coloring.
    I find this fascinating.
    Tally Ho!

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Having just got the Jim Little book, he has line drawings in there that show the different leaf shapes with the names describing the shapes. It's going to be a fun read.