Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

James! Guess what? I have Eight!! ;-)

Hi Everyone!!

Just came home from Dinner because it is my mothers 82 nd birthday and my grandson's second birthday today!!! So....

I was on my little nightly walk. And guess what I found?

Yes.. Eight petals on my Hong Kong! OMG. I'm stoked..

James, I remember you saying sometimes you get six or seven.. I had to do a double take and then some... Eight? Whoooo. Hoooooo!!

Just made my night!!

A gift for us all...

;-)

Take care,

Laura

Comments (12)

• rox146
    9 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!!

• User
    9 years ago

Laura,
    That is absolutely stunning! I have never seen that before.
    Take alot of pics. Just in case. LOL
    Congrats Laura,
    How does she smell? Delicious I hope.

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

WOW!! That is really beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Barb

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Wishing happy Birthday to your Mom and also your grandson. Barb

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

WOOHOO!!! That is so awesome, Laura! I have never seen that before! Plumeria Octomom!! LOL!

Happy Birthday wishes to your grandson and mom!!

Smiles to you! Wendi

• njz7
    9 years ago

Can anyone recommend a source for Hong Kong?

I have not seen it available this season from Matt @ one stop aloha, Fuzzy @ blooming plumeria, BB&B, MPG, or FCN.

Happy Birthday wishes to your Mom and Grandson!

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Laura,

Happy Birthday Wishes to your Mother and Grandson!!! :)
    OMG looks fabulous!! I do not think I have ever gotten 8 petals, must luv your area. I know someone who will remain nameless, tried to pull a fast one back in the day when Hong Kong was just released and unknown "allegedly" telling people that "he had developed a plumeria he was calling 7,8,9 (or was it 7 ate 9..pun on words). Of course when I saw the pic of what he was calling 7,8,9 / 7 ate 9, it was a Hong Kong. People did not know that HK normally blooms with 6 petals, sometimes with 7 or more.
    Laura your HK is a beautiful example of how she blooms with up to 8 petals. I luv HK because of the Every green,Shiny dark green foliage, and the strong intense smell of Singapore.

Thanks for sharing your pic and beautiful job of growing her.

Cheers..

NJ
    Hong Kong can be purchased from Exotic Plumeria (who I do not recommend buying from), or Angus in florida (use to sell on Ebay as World Plumeria). I do not know if Angus is selling anymore as I have not seen him post, or anyone stating that they received plumies from him in a year or so. In late 2004, I purchased my HK from Angus. When I received mine it was about 9" and thin like a pencil.
    Here is the HK 2 months after I received it and repotted her. A lot taller and 3x as thick/diameter.

If you keep HK in your house by a window, or with lights she should stay evergreen and even bloom during winter.

Good LUck

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks Roxanne!! I was stunned. Seriously.. I was shocked!! Lol!!!

Hi Butterfly!! I was very surprised Hong Kong has a very fragrant sweet smell to me. I love this one!! The leaves are very shiny and green.. A seedling of Singapore!!

Thank you Barb!! I do appreciate your wishes!! We had a wonderful time!!!

Wendi !! Thank you as well!!! lMAO. Octomom !! To funny!! ;-)

NJ. Keep checking.. I have seen them available at times. Thank you for the birthday wishes as well for my mom and grandson!! Very nice of you...

James!! I couldn't believe this. You were the first person I thought of. I wanted to say.. " James. Look at this"". I ran to get the camera. Took a few pictures and then we had rain the next day and it fell off. But I did take another pic just because!!! The original pic was taken at night. Lol!! Love my flashlight!! ;-)

Thank you for all of your great comments.. I do love all of my trees and always work hard to keep them happy.. They do show the love... I'm so pleased. Mahalo for all of your support and then some... !! You are very special and I do appreciate all that you do. Truly....

Interesting story.. 7 ate 9. I can only imagine who did this!!! ;-)

Just so pleased to see eight. I don't think I will ever see it again, but if I do.. It will be awesome!! I am so pleased....

Mine was also about 6-8 inches and in a " red solo cup". Lol. . It has grown up to be a beautiful tree. So green and shiny, proud of the heritage!!!

Have a wonderful day!!

Here is the last pic of HK with eight petals. I'm still excited over this one..

Take care!!

Laura

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Laura,
    Either u have a hand the size of a toddler or that bloom is large?? If it bloomed all 7 or 8 petals, could u imagine the lei you could make with it.. Beautiful flower and pic. You should be a hand model for plumies aka the Vanna White of Plumies...lol

Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, James! I have normal size hands.. Like to think they are small and petite!! Lol...

This was probably 4 inches across. It was huge.. All I could think about was you saying earlier that it will get bigger.. It did!! End to end was about 4 inches..

As far as hands.. You are to funny!! ;-)

Thanks again!!

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

lol...with that small of a hand I would say Laura's calling was being a dentist.

Whats the record? 10?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Good question, K....

Wonder what the record is?

My hands .. You guys are to funny!! Being a dentist would have been interesting? Lol....

Thanks for the smiles ..

Laura

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm