Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhuston_gw

Speaking of an inflo now...a noob asks a bunch of basic questions

nhuston
14 years ago

Hi everybody. I've searched all over the place and this forum seems to have by far the most difinitive and helpful answers. I apologize if these questions are answered elsewhere, but my searches didn't bring back exactly what I was looking for. I have only one of two Plumeria I planted as sticks last fall and am overly protective. I wanna make sure I do the right thing! So, here are my questions:

My plant finally got an inflo! Sweet! Actually, I had no idea what it was when it first started growing. Thankfully, I found this forum. Is there anything in particular I should do? I was kind of thinking this was about the time I was supposed to pull way back on the watering to let it get ready for winter. So here are my questions:

1. When should I slow down/stop watering? I live in Williamsburg, VA and temps are starting to get down into the 60s @ night. Speaking of temps...

2. When should I bring the plant inside? I'd like it to get as much sun as it can now that it finally has an inflo, but I don't want to push it. My rule of thumb over the last year has been to bring it in anytime the temp gets under 70.

3. Along those same lines, when should I stop giving it fertilizer? I've been giving it a 15-30-15 all summer (that's the best I could find). Should I stop now?

4. Perhaps my most worrisome: some of the leaves have started to get brown spots as well as brown edges. They still feel strong, but these little brown splotches are appearing. Any idea what could be causing them? Should I be worried?

5. I came home today to find my plant tipped over (gasp!).

a) It's definitely too big for the pot. Can I repot now or should I wait for next spring (as most sites seem to suggest I should)? I really don't want to disturb that inflo.

b) I put these white river rocks on the top of the soil a few weeks ago for looks. When the plant tipped over I noticed that the soil had all kinds of what must have been roots growing on the top - where the rocks were covering it up. Is that a problem? I've removed the rocks and covered what I assume are roots with soil.

Sooooooo, that's it! Just a nice short post to introduce myself! :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

[edit] I have no idea how to link pics, so I'm going to try to link to my photobucket.

Nate

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Pics of the Plant

Comments (5)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    14 years ago

Welcome Nate,

I also live here in VA. (VB) My plumies are doing great with all of the sunshine...but the nights are cooling off a bit. My advice to you would be to leave your plant outside until the night temps drop down into the low fifties...I will bring mine in around mid October or when the temps go down before that. I have stopped giving fert. so that they can slow down in growth and start preparing for dormancy. As far as repotting...some say wait until spring...others will repot during summer (I did repot early in the summer and my plumies did great and kept the inflo) I would wait until spring since it's late in the season...Others will hopefully give some other advice on the brown spots...but I don't think you have anything to worry about...I would slow down on the watering since we have had so much rain in the last few days...I will let my plants dry out completely before I give them water...Hope this helps...we have several Virginians here on this forum....Again....Welcome!!

Laura in VB

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    14 years ago

Yeahhhh! Let's hear it for Virginia! We need to start a Virginia Plumeria Society!

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Welcome Nate!

I wish I could say I have a few plumies growers living here in Mass. with me..:-(

Mine are doing great, except, I can't wait for more inflo's on all my plumies..

I do have one though finally! Seems like FOREVER for them to go from bud to open flower...God. I have been looking at mine trying to open quite a while..Almost a couple of flowers though..Everyday the hot sun shines on it, I smile with greatfulness!

I leave mine outside until nigts average in the 40's and they do well till then, all the way up in New England. I just make sure that they are getting loads of full sun.

I have been directed to stop fertilizing from an expert here, so the plants can harden off for the winter. So I have stopped.
    I think the brown spot is common for late in the season. I always get brown spots and some leaves even yellow, which I think is just common.

As for transplanting, I too would wait until spring when the roots start to actively grow again.

Wished I lived in Virginia. You people have at least a month or two of much warmer weather tahn I do left to go...

Take care. You will love this forum. Alot of great people and very informative material here...:-)

Ps. Just a thought for any who would ahte to bring their plumies in so early. Why not buy one of those portable greenhouses? I did for a little over 100$ last spring and it is the best thing I could of ever invested in for any plant I want to keep outdoors longer than I would like. My plumies rejoiced in it this spring, and I am sure they will when I put them in there in this fall...It extends their growing season and starts them early...The sun can make that house very toasty even in November...

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    14 years ago

I've been looking for used greenhouses on Craig's list! Always need just ONE MORE MONTH of growing season!

~dave

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Lol..That is what I did all week last spring!!! Finally found mine at home depot.
    You know how I keep the nights warm, above 60? I use a space heater. It works great with a fan!

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012