Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat mat suggestions?

Posted by moonie_57 8 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 20:58

I think I need 4, so please, anyone with an inexpensive model that served you well, let me know the brand and where you bought it from.

Do you have to have a thermostat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat mat suggestions?

I got mine off Amazon. It came with a greenhouse kit made by Hydrofarm. There are several brands to choose from.
I'm sure more experienced growers will chime in.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrofarm greenhouse kit

o

old waterbed heaters work great
Burpee I think makes a seed starter kit that has a warming mat in it. You can probably order from Amazon or Gemplers supply.
Undertank reptile heaters also work pretty good but can get too hot.
Tally HO!

o

• Posted by kim319 6A-6B, So Indiana (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 12:53

I have 2 heat mats, one I bought from ebay an one that I got from amazon, a hydrofarm one. In my honest opinion, I feel like the cheaper one from ebay heats up a lot hotter than the one from amazon. My thermometer probe reads at 85-88F temps with it.

Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heat-Sprout-Seedling-Heat-Mat-Germination-3-Sizes-/330495808600?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4cf315d458
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MT10006--19-1-2-Inch-Seedling/dp/B0001WV010/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347468694&sr=8-1&keywords=heat+mat

o

I will probably get the Hydrofarm 20x20, but only 1 or 2, so thanks to all of you.

o

Or, maybe not! LOL

I am now looking more towards the Heat Sprout.

o

That one is interesting in that it can come in many different sizes. Here is is on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Sprout-Seed-Germination-Heat-Dimmer/dp/B007AP2XJE

o

Del - I have been contemplating that one, 11x36.
2 shelves, 2 mats and they would fit perfectly.
The Hydrofarm mats would have to go on a different shelf and not fit as nicely.
But, Hydrofarm gets good reviews.

o

I bought two on amazon that were for window sills. I dont remember the name or brand except the box was green and they were maybe $20 each. Figuring that would be a good way to help keep young cuttings rooting over our mild winters. They didnt seem to me to produce enough heat.

This year i am going to wrap the small pot with the heat strip instead of placing the pot on top. Maybe that will improve the heat transfer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here