Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgecc

5'x6' Rainbow Tree (Multi-Graft) with Moragnes ++++

georgecc
11 years ago

If I win Lotto this week, this is what I'm getting (got just the spot for it)!

Someone on Craigslist in the San Fernando Valley (north of Los Angeles) is selling a 5' tall, 6' wide plumeria, I believe a Celadine, grafted with Daisy Wilcox, Mary Moragne, Grainy Morgane, Kimi (Moragne?) in a tree box for $500! They say they paid $600 and are sacrificing, and that it needs to go in the ground next year. No pic, sadly! Sounds like an amazing tree.

Comments (24)

• joanr
    11 years ago

Well I'm sure I can find a spot for it somewhere. Sounds amazing. Wish we could see a picture of it :(

Roadtrip if I win the Lotto :) Haven't been to CA yet so sounds like a good reason to go!

Joan

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

I hope we have a winner! :)

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm fighting myself about whether to go see it tomorrow or not, but this is a boatload of temptation! I don't know!!

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You guys, this is way too funny. I called the guy. we started talking, and he goes - "are you SimiDude"? Looks like he follows this site! I'm going to go see his trees tomorrow (the rainbow is out of my budget, but he has several other great trees.

• joanr
    11 years ago

SimiDude,

Too funny - small world right! And we want pictures when you get back home.

Joan

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Joan, it's like it's calling my name, right? Literally! LOL

Got my camera ready. He has an amazing collection.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Video! :)

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Moonie, I would shoot 3-D Cinemascope of this if I could!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

3-D Cinemascope sounds good to me! :)

And to the guy with the multi-graft tree... free shipping?

• Tony10
    11 years ago

Simidude,
    It was cool talking with you. I hope you find something you like. Sorry guys, no pics though. If Simi purchases something, he can take all the pics he wants. My collection is quite modest compared to most of my fellow addicts. Years ago, I had so many that I could not keep track. Through years of moving, I have had to downsize. I am at the point of keeping no more than 10 reliable bloomers with the growth habit that I like... beauty and FRAGRANCE are always important.

@Moonie 57... HAHAHA! Oh of course shipping is free ;) It would only cost about $500 dollars so I would be giving the tree away. Honestly, it breaks my heart to part with it, but I have had it for 6 years and it needs to go into the ground. I am renting so that is not an option. I have it in the largest tree box, but it has blown over due to the size. It is time to give it the room it needs to live out it's full potential.

Well, hopefully Simidude will like something he sees and give it a good home :)

PS. Simidude, I remember reading about your "Mardi Gras" that wasn't... LOL.. don't tell me.. Jacob Castro, right? I commented on his pics that it was Lani and got no response. Lani is a beauty regardless, but sheesh... lets get the names right!

Tony

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, not Jacob - although I have used his video on rooting a cutting, and it worked. Tony, it was someone in Anaheim, he was sure it was a Mardi Gras. A week before, I had seen a smaller tree at another seller in Orange County, with the same flower, and they told me it was a Mardi Gras, too. Sure, the pics of Mardi Gras on the web were quite different, but plumerias vary so much. Then I went to Island Plumeria, who had Mardi Gras and Lani's. The Mardi Gras was so different from what I had. The Lani's was similar to mine, but had a white vertical stripe on each petal which mine didn't. A few weeks later, mine got the stripe - and I know it was Lani's. Lani's is an awesome flower. I did go back to Island and got a Mardi Gras, too. Different but both beautiful. It looks like a first inflo may be forming on the Mardi Gras!

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And fellow posters, if I don't get the Rainbow Tree, I'll make sure to describe it and make you all feel like you were there!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Get the tree! Who needs food?

Tally HO!

• joanr
    11 years ago

And if you can't make the mortgage payment, you can always sleep under the tree :)

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beachplant, Joanr,
    Both good points!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Happy to help our fellow junkie.
    Tally Ho!

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I just got back and I had to describe the beauty that was The Multi-Grafted Mainly Moragne Rainbow Tree. No pictures, but I will do my best to describe it as plainly, realistically and accurately as possible, with simple unadorned words. Here are the facts:

It was a powerful thing of beauty, inspiring awe to all who come upon it.

As I approached it, I had to stop, regain my breath, and stare in bittersweet admiration (bittersweet cause I wasn't taking it home!), almost unable to get my feet to move toward The Tree.

It had a beautiful classic plumeria or olive tree shape, graceful and glorious, branches gently curved out and bursting with delicate inflow of spectacular flowers. Angels looked down upon its magnificent clumps of heavenly color.

On one side, Celadine, bursting with its familiar yet beloved grace - then, Kimi Moragne, glorious startling pink, then the truly unmistakable Grainy or Reddish Moragne (or possibly Moragne 93). Then, over the cloud-like top, giant globes of Daisy Wilcox, leading, ultimately, to the breathtaking beauty that is Mary Moragne.

Even the hummingbirds stopped flapping their wings to stare and take it all in.

I apologize if I described this too dryly I was in a hurry and just needed to get the outline of the event out of mind and onto the screen.

Unfortunately, I didn't win Lotto and didn't get The Tree. Now onto the trees I did get:

Both are beauties: A 6-7' Bali Hai Gold and a Divine with several blooming inflos. I apologize for the lousy nighttime pics, it was night when I got home, and I couldn't get enough light on the tree. (And Laura, I forgot to take a pic of the tree in my car! It was bigger than the buttered popcorn tree).

This Bali Hai Gold tree had so many clumps of super fragrant beautifully shaped yellow blooms, and a super wide top. What a scent.

I promise I will take better pics tomorrow of the Bali Hai, and of the equally beautiful Divine.

Jandey, did I overdo it on the yellows? I think you would like this one.

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And Tony, it was really good to meet you. As you can tell, I love all your trees.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

OMG, Simi, you fit in PERFECTLY here! I cracked up at your understated and dry descriptions.

No, if you find a fabulous yellow, you have to take it! Just leave some room for Lutica, 'cause she's worth it. I keep ogling Bali Palace but I can't put mine in-ground like you, so I'll just have to admire. Can't believe what a small pot that Bali Hai was in!

Oh, and btw, I think your huge unknown pale pink/white on the other post might be Daisy Wilcox--have you checked it against photos online?

Jen

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are the daylight pics of the Bali Gold and the Divine. Divine has several inflos, Bali Hai Gold had a slew of them.

Tragically, even though I didn't harm one leaf transporting the big tree or getting it out of my car, I did break a beautiful inflo that was right in the middle of the tree as I moved it around to take pics!!! DOH! It did make a nice plumeria ring, though!

The tree still looks fantastic. And the scent is very strong, it wafts. It was a very fragrant car ride with these two in the car.

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, and in case I was too subtle in my understated description of the rainbow tree, I want to make it clear that I really liked that tree. Whoever ends up with it will be very lucky, it's a showstopper.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Yeah, I thing we got it about the tree. It was a sight to behold. .... but NO PICTURES??!!! Come awwwwwn!

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jandey, sorry it took me so long to get back to you regarding Daisy Wilcox. I've designated tomorrow as my last day of plumeria purchasing for the year (next year I have a simple goal - get all the available Moragnes). So I can't wait for tomorrow. Also, regarding Daisy Wilcox, I have one, and it's also big, but it has some reddish darker pink, whereas mine has very soft pink. Also, the petals on mine are longer and curvier. Having said that - who knows. There is some similarity. I'm curious! I'll have a surprise for you tomorrow at the Inca Gold vs Heidi post.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Nice! Sorry you didn`t get the big tree but the ones you did are very nice.

Tally HO!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor