Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

I just love backlighting

moonie_57 (8 NC)
11 years ago

for my plumies! I have clear Christmas lights on my privacy fence for my bigger plants. NOT the LED, don't like 'em! :)

The elephant ears, bananas and palms also look great at night. All my smaller plants are on tables along the side my greenhouse. At night I also turn on the light inside the greenhouse to give them the same effect.

My DH won't sit outside very long in the evenings with me (he likes his TV) but I can spend hours. The backlighting just enhances the beauty of the long leaves and looks so dramatic and interesting.

When I finally have lots and lots of flowers *hehe* I will position my plants so that the flowers will also have that same lighting.

Anyone else? :)

Comments (11)

• xvxmichellexvx
    11 years ago

pictures!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How do you take night time photos? I'm certainly no photographer. In fact, I'm usually too lazy to get the camera out so I just take horrible cellphone pics! :)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Also consider "up lighting." Here is a picture from 6/2012 and one from 9/2010 of the same basic area. If you up light a plant like a Celadine, pink, or a white it has a very good visual effect on the blossoms but somewhat hard to capture digitally.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh yeah! I'm going to have to go for uplighting next summer!
    Lovely setting!

Thanks for posting

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I use the solar lights, but they do not show like your lights. I have almost 50 boxes of net lights I use on my plants when it freezes. I might use a few boxes to put on my fence, if they can work. Moonie how do you put the lights on your fence to showcase your plants? I have 8 boxes of white frosted ball lights I can use. Can you post a picture? Barbra

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Barbra - I will try to get a pic but I've never been able to take a good night time photo. It's just clear Christmas lights draped on the fence and rope lighting on the ground. And backlight from the greenhouse. but I'll try... if I can manage to walk later. Gues shta means I have to read the manual lol

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok Barbra. I managed to get a couple but they didn't turn out that great. Blurry, and things look kind of messy. Maybe I can take the camera out again later and give it another try.

String and rope lights

Greenhouse light

• nativec
    11 years ago

Wowza! Talk about some ambiance! What great pictures! All I would need is a lounge chair, a great glass of wine and a challenging read. You wouldn't see me again until the weather changed...LOL

• DelWH
    11 years ago

If you hold the camera against a post or some solid support, it helps when taking low light shots.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Moonie it looks beautiful! I love the rope lights, how they outline your bed. Thank you for posting the picture. Barbra

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Remember those awful spiral Christmas trees? That's why you don't throw them away without first rescuing the rope light out of it. That's like 50 or 60 ft of lighting.

Del - Next time I'll get out the tripod and try it. Thanks!

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists