Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I just love backlighting

Posted by moonie_57 8 NC (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 21:18

for my plumies! I have clear Christmas lights on my privacy fence for my bigger plants. NOT the LED, don't like 'em! :)

The elephant ears, bananas and palms also look great at night. All my smaller plants are on tables along the side my greenhouse. At night I also turn on the light inside the greenhouse to give them the same effect.

My DH won't sit outside very long in the evenings with me (he likes his TV) but I can spend hours. The backlighting just enhances the beauty of the long leaves and looks so dramatic and interesting.

When I finally have lots and lots of flowers *hehe* I will position my plants so that the flowers will also have that same lighting.

Anyone else? :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I just love backlighting

pictures!

o

How do you take night time photos? I'm certainly no photographer. In fact, I'm usually too lazy to get the camera out so I just take horrible cellphone pics! :)

o

Also consider "up lighting." Here is a picture from 6/2012 and one from 9/2010 of the same basic area. If you up light a plant like a Celadine, pink, or a white it has a very good visual effect on the blossoms but somewhat hard to capture digitally.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Oh yeah! I'm going to have to go for uplighting next summer!
Lovely setting!

Thanks for posting

o

I use the solar lights, but they do not show like your lights. I have almost 50 boxes of net lights I use on my plants when it freezes. I might use a few boxes to put on my fence, if they can work. Moonie how do you put the lights on your fence to showcase your plants? I have 8 boxes of white frosted ball lights I can use. Can you post a picture? Barbra

o

Barbra - I will try to get a pic but I've never been able to take a good night time photo. It's just clear Christmas lights draped on the fence and rope lighting on the ground. And backlight from the greenhouse. but I'll try... if I can manage to walk later. Gues shta means I have to read the manual lol

o

Ok Barbra. I managed to get a couple but they didn't turn out that great. Blurry, and things look kind of messy. Maybe I can take the camera out again later and give it another try.

String and rope lights
Photobucket

Greenhouse light
Photobucket

o

Wowza! Talk about some ambiance! What great pictures! All I would need is a lounge chair, a great glass of wine and a challenging read. You wouldn't see me again until the weather changed...LOL

o

If you hold the camera against a post or some solid support, it helps when taking low light shots.

o

Moonie it looks beautiful! I love the rope lights, how they outline your bed. Thank you for posting the picture. Barbra

o

Remember those awful spiral Christmas trees? That's why you don't throw them away without first rescuing the rope light out of it. That's like 50 or 60 ft of lighting.

Del - Next time I'll get out the tripod and try it. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here