Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blossoms blackening & falling off (pic I hope)

Posted by labland La Verne, CA 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 21:29

OK guys, I think I have the picture of my one plumeria where the blossoms will not open, they turn black and fall off. Also, the leaves have not opened yet. I wonder if this plumie went into shock after transplanting in a new planter - the rest of my plants are doing great.

I wonder should I cut off the inflo to allow the leaves to at least open?

Hopefully I finally got a picture downloaded. Had to switch to PC from iPad.

Suggestions?

http://i55.tinypic.com/zqsw.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful: blossoms blackening and falling off

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blossoms blackening & falling off (pic I hope)

Where are the leaves?? Did you say this was a healthy rooted plant that you recently transplanted? How healthy was the root system prior to transplant?

It almost looks like the roots were injured or lost in the process. With a compromised root system, the inflo may not be sustained. I'd be tempted to cut it off, but I don't know how bad the root damage is. The plant might come back quickly with warmth and bright light.

o

• Posted by labland La Verne, CA 9 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 24, 10 at 12:20

yes, This is a plant that I have had in a pot for several years. I think this is the first time it was going to bloom. The leaves are just what I think you guys are calling "claws". They haven't opened yet. Here is another picture. As far as I known the root structure was intact. I wasn't there when my husband planted it, but as you can see from the second picture, the other ones he planted are doing fine.

claw and inflo

here is picture of the planter with 6 plants, 3 Singapore Whites, One Playful (I think) and not sure the other name, white with yellow inside

planter with 6 plumeria

This is I think "Playful" in the same planter (It was the first to bloom, and its blossoms are all spent now)

Playful

unknown name

And finally, one of the Singapore whites from the same planter:

3' Singapore White

I guess, it can't hurt to cut off the inflo, then maybe the claws will open up, give it some time in the sun before winter comes!

o

That is a really wonderful planter, what a great idea up against the wall like that!

o

• Posted by labland La Verne, CA 9 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 24, 10 at 13:43

Thanks. I can't wait to see what it will do in the winter. It will loose some sun, but I think the wall's warmth will do. My Singapore Whites will have leaves all winter anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here