Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clemsicle

Broken Large Plumeria Branch

clemsicle
11 years ago

Hello,

I need some advice. Yesterday a big branch (made up of a lot of parts), broke off my plumeria tree. I need help as to how to care for it in order to get it to root. I was reading related posts, but I don't know what to do exactly. Since it's already August I suppose it is not a good idea to plant it yet. Should I remove all of the leafs? Should I make smaller parts of it by separating all the different sticks?

Last year the same thing happened but with two branches just as big, but both died :-( I really want this one to live, so I appreciate any advice :)

Comments (14)

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Depending on where you are in SD, you should really have enough time to root this one! The big ones typically root quite easy. I would take care to seal the break on the mother tree.

There are many ways to root, what has worked for you before? Key is bottom heat and minimal water. Good luck!

Wendy

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Yes, you need to remove all the mature leaves. Cut them off with a small clippers.

I'd probably resaw the bottom of the cutting -- it looks pretty jaggy -- if you want to root that entire thing. Or you could cut it up into several smaller cuttings -- maybe two. Depends on what you want for a 'tree' shape initially....higher branching; lower branching?

Let the ends callus for a week or so, then dust with rooting hormone and place in pots of soil with at least 2/3 perlite or pumice. Don't water it until you see new leaves...which may not be until next spring.

What variety is it? Do you have have photos?

Hopefully someone from your region will

• beachplant
    11 years ago

You should be able to root that in your climate with no problem. You don`t have the cold to worry about.

I also would cut that bottom again.

George, I think, puts his cuttings in mulch to callus. I am planning to try that if I ever get uncalloused cuttings.

Tally Ho!

• BubbaTimmy
    11 years ago

in addition to suggestions above. I would cut the bottom Y off so you can pot the two large pieces a little deeper. Cut all leaves off except those right at the tips. I normally just use my regular soil mix with about 1/4 to 1/3 perlite. Plant about 6-8 inches deep. Make sure you stake it up well so it does not move around. Water once well, then not again until new leaves begin to sprout out 1/2" or so. Leave staked up for at least a year. I would also plant the bottom Y piece and you might get lucky on it... best of luck

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I would second all things said. Just want to stress its very important that you stop the moisture loss by cutting off the leaves as suggested as soon as possble.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

I like the idea of cutting this branch into two cuttings.

You could have two beautiful ones.. I would cut at the bottom Y and have one single cutting, then have a multi tipped cutting that looks like it would be a nice shaped tree.

Those leaves need to come off ASAP.

Like the above posters.. cut, dip into roottone, callas, then pot up. Make sure you stake so it doenst move around. You need to protect it from movement to keep those little fragile roots from breaking. Some water at the initial potting up, i do this.. some don't.

You have some good rooting months left, so i would see no problem in getting these babies started..

Go cut those leaves... : )

Take care,

Laura

• LTSmallwood
    10 years ago

this just happened to me this morning and it's late October in central Texas! What should I do and how can I seal the mother plant?

• bethhobbs
    8 years ago

I'm in San Diego too..wow, that was some crazy rain that brought mine down. So I'm seeing from the University of Hawaii about grafting the stalk back onto the original tree? Has anyone tried this? I did talk to Jungle Jacks here (local plumeria grower here) and he said that as it's so late in the season not to get our hopes up :(

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    8 years ago

I have only tried it when its a partial break and quickly identified. Its only worked about 3 times out of 5 and in two of those instances the growth in following years was weak and behind other branches. One is still holding on and the other 2 ended up being pruned off some years later.

The good news is the 100% unsuccessful ones formed a great callus and I rooted them without any problems.

• lbinupland_zone_9
    8 years ago

I agree with separating it into two plants. I think that would be the most attractive. I would cut the leaves, and store both pieces over winter and plant about March. This has almost always worked for me, except I am dealing with intentional pruned cuttings, but I wait for the leaves to fall off naturally, then prune.

Good luck, El Bee

• Larry Gates
    8 years ago

I have 50 65 g containers 10$ take all9$

• lbinupland_zone_9
    8 years ago

I'm interested, Larry. Where are you?

• James Fitzpatrick
    3 years ago

Need help regarding my Plumeria. I bought a 2 branch rooted cutting last spring and it did wonderful aside from a little stress (was dropping older leaves) it showed from the above average temperatures and frequent heavy rains. Anyway, spring seemed to take forever to get her this year so I ended up moving it from the dark corner in the basement and put it under a strong growlight to bring it out of dormancy. It got a late start but within a month I saw leaves begin to emerge from both branches. Once it was warm enough to move outside I accidentally damaged one of the growing tips during the move. It soon showed signs of rot so I cut the tip off about 3 inches below rhe rot. The other branch is doing just fine and Ive been waiting all summer to see what would happen with the branch I cut. Today I noticed a bud starting to emerge from rhe cut stem about 4 inches below the cut. My question is, do I do anything with the extra 4 inches. I'm happy about the new grown but the one branch will always be shorter and I'm not excited about that extra inches of stub above the emerging branch. Can I at some point trim that back further or is it best to just live with the stub?

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County