Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Saigon Moon...

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to post a pic of my Saigon Moon.

I sent this pic to Bud since he has different pics of this beauty in his brochure showing the different colorations from all over the country. I have seen his in CA, pics from TX and from Florida. He was pleased to see it bloom here in Virginia and sent me the same pic cropped with my name on it . I was so pleased that he liked the pic and the color...

He was so generous to give this cutting to me several years ago. Means alot to me...

Thanks Bud!!!

Here is your beauty...

{{gwi:52937}}

Pic of Maya

{{gwi:107815}}

Another friend sent this Hong Kong as a little rooted tree in a "Red Solo Cup.." LOL... Its has gone crazy since i have repotted it and it has taken off. I was asked by this gentleman if i had any signs of an info on this one.. I said not yet, then the next day i noticed this. I still can't believe this... it is little, but it is very healthy. Loves the Foliage Pro and Pro TeKt.

{{gwi:1213429}}

A view of my top deck.. Wonder why people ask if i love Plumeria? : )

I have seen on other post that others are asking about the yellow leaves.. It is the time of the year that we see this happen.. Kind of sad time because the trees are growing and have had their time in the sun, the leaf losss is normal at this time of the year. Just reminds me that fall is right around the corner. sigh...

Take Care,

Laura

Comments (14)

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Laura,
    Love the Saigon moon. I have one coming to me soon. I had it grafted so I wouldn't have to worry about it now rooting. Thanks for posting the pics of it, I had not seen the flower in some time.

I am also bummed as fall is upon us, and yep, I too am seeing the yellowing leaves but honestly, I think mine is more from this weird recent growth flush! Yeah, end of Auguest, I would say about 2/3 of my plumeria started doing this. Usually, I may have a few here and there that flush later in the year. I really haven't been feeding them too much. I think I stopped around the beginning of August, with my normal feedings, but I did do some feedings using half of my normal dose of ferts.

Thanks for the pics of your plumeria paradise. I still have f ingers crossed for my 2 that have inflos growing. My Guillots Sunset which came from a very generous member and friend of this forum...THANKS AGAIN! The other is my JJ Christina, which I have also not seen bloom yet. I removed the timy inflo off of my Sariah Curly Pink. That inflo has been on that tree for about 8 months now, and even though it was green and healthy, the flower buds just stalled out and didn't grow.

I need to get going. Been running a fever since I woke up, and still am. I didn't water anything today and they all needed it, especially my citrus. My 5ft tall 'Star Ruby' is bone dry. It has 13 large fruits now. I am going to at least water this tree, and the blooming plumeria.

Take care,
    Andrew

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Awesome! Love Maya, I think I am going to order a bunch next year from Thailand for our community garden plant sale if I can get shipping reasonable.

No yellow leaves here yet, usually November or so mine start to lose leaves. The mulberry is losing all it`s leaves though. I hate that tree. It`s the only thing showing any indication of fall.

Do you have a greenhouse you put everything into in the winter? Ya`ll are way more industrious than me, I barely drag stuff in if we have a freeze predicted, even then I drag in the very minimum I can get away with.
    Tally Ho!

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Laura, WOW, Saigon Moon is amazing!!! Very pretty!

• pcput
    11 years ago

Everything is still looking good Laura,but I know the time is coming for the stick trees. (sigh) Maya looks good and your Saigon Moon is gorgeous. You always do such a good job with your plants. I'm so lucky to be able to see them in person. Peg

• nativec
    11 years ago

Laura,

So happy to see you posting! I always love the little glimpses of your plumeria forest! Saigon Moon is lovely!! Is the flower as huge in person as it seems in the photo?

I love my Maya as well, it always keeps me guessing with each new leaf. Which only reminds me that the season is almost over for me...huff. But there is always next year, right? :)

I hope all is well for you! I'll be anxioiusly awaiting baby news:)

Take care,

Nicole

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Laura,

love the Saigon Moon! Gorgeous. Do you, or does anyone else, know where this lovely comes from? Is it Thai? Actually Vietnamese?

Maya is pretty, too--but I know I'll never own this tree...I have enough flowerless trees already! LOL

Thanks for sharing, Laura! And enjoy what I know is a special time in your family!

Greg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello EVeryone,

Andrew... I hope you are feeling better! You have had a tough time this summer and i wish you coukd have some relief.

Please be careful when you move all of your trees.. Please?

You will love the Saigon Moon. I was in awe when i saw the first bloom. Im still looking at it on my kitchen table. It is beautiful.. My nose detects a sweet fragrance..

Im glad you find the trees on the deck a Paradise.. DH just shakes his head... it moved from the eyes, to the whole head.. LOL!!! I guess ill have to trade the eye drops for some "Bengay" LOL... I actually moved some to the side of the yard so he cant see them everyday.. LMAO!! Im so bad!!

Remember i told you about the Pops Red rotting soon after i received it rom Matt? He was great and sent me a replacement right out. I was happy about this. Makes me worried about the news tht he wont be selling nymore of JL's trees.. : (

It is sad to see the fall approach. My trees have started dropping leaves and i do the duty daily to collect them so i dont have to see them on the ground. It just remainds me of fall arriving.

Good Luck on the inflow on Guillots SUnset.. I have one on mine too. Hilo opened today.. ill post a pic later afer i finish.. it seems if i take to long posting.. i get timed out? ANyone else have this problem? It is so frustrating when yiu have al of the post written and then when you g and priview it say the web has expired.. What? LOL ARGG!
    Dont yu just love the cutting from friends.. They are the best!!! Thanks to you all who have shared..

Tally HO!! Thanks for the kind comments.. I do love my Saigon Moon!!! Maya too!!! All of my trees mean so much..lol

I do have a small greenhouse that i use to place them in during the early spring. I mostly prepared about half for the back room. "Haircut" then i make them rest. Others, about 40 or so, i keep under my T-5 lights unstairs. The large trees 8-10 footers will be stripped and settled into the back room. I like to keep the newly rooted cutting going all winter. Put it this way... They all have their place and if you open my back room, you would see lots of huge sticks.. I hope my new Grandson will like sharing this room with the sleeping trees. (Only when he is a wee one) i know they are poisonous, so i wouldnr place him in harms way.. so i guess he will have to sleep with his mom and dad when visiting here at Grandmas!!!

Yellow leaves started last week.. sad time to see this. I collected about twenty today.. I dont like to see them hanging on the tree or on the ground, but it makess me feel close to my trees and inspect each one. I have a seedpod on my Leela and my "hopeful VV" : )

Thanks Emily... Hope you are well!!! That bloom is a real beauty. I have seen different colors from all areas.. My heat and humidity added in the nice color.. I was and still an so peased..

Hi Nicole... The size of bloom is really large.. i went outside to measure just for you!!! 3 1/2 inches. It is a beauty!! Im so glad it rooted and then to see bloooms on it this year.. Im thankful!!

I also love my Maya.. always changing color tones.. I see pink, green an im always surprised with the new leaves too!

Yess.. it will be soon.. Very SOON! Within days.. I will keep you posted.. Im so excited.. My daughter is ready too! LOL.. I get many phone calls asking if this is right and so on... : ) SHe wants me in ther to be with her i was so touched that she wnted me in there. Her hubby came home last week. The rest of the 82nd is still not home. They let about 9 of them come home on the first wave.. so we are so happy that he will be able to see his litttle boy arrive in style!! Ill let you know.. Thanks for asking.. you are such a nice person!!! : )

Hey Greg,

Do you know how close you are to the story of the Saigon Moon? You are right, Bud Guillot had met this Vietnamese man who qas growing this tree in CA and had it placed right near this huge slab of cement. Bud asked him if he could name it and register it. This man had cut a 12X 12 inch whole in this cememt slad and planted it there... It was a huge tree back then.. 15 feet in diameter and about 4 feet high. He developed a good relationship with this gentleman. One day Bud drove to the same house. ( fours years later) and they had sold the home. The Saigoon Moon had been destroyrd and some of the othet trees were dug u as well. he thinks that the new ownners thought they were just sticks. He was told they went to the dump.. sad...

So who knows really where it came from,, but it was with a Vietnamese gentleman.

Bud has mentioned that it has many faces... with the different temps and humidity.. we all have different colors..

Needless to say.. I was very happy that Bud loved the color in my bloom!!! Made my day.. and then some!!!

I will enjoy what is about to arrive!!!

Im bring Pegs Blanket for you all to see the Plumeria and Hibiscus as well as the frogs that i love wrapped all around this new Prince to be!!!

can you tell im excited? : )

I only have a few more nights not being "grannie" Maybe ill go fly a B-17 or something...

Actually we did last weekend. LOL...

Bud flew a B-24 during the war and this one "Memphis Belle" was here for the weekend. I had the opp to take a ride.. Ill post pics for you greg.. i know you like things like that.. !943 and flew in 1945. same plane in the movie "Memphis Belle" Bud got to fly in the only remaing B-24 Bomber still in operation on his 90th birthday.. How cool is that? My father in law flew B-29s in WWII. I love planes.. wonder why? LOL.

Take care all...

Laura

I do have a small greenhouse

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For you Andrew and Greg...LOL... Dindn't think i would go up in one of these babies huh? I had a ball...

ONly ten remaining in operation at this time...

{{gwi:52941}}
    {{gwi:110209}}

{{gwi:1213438}}

To much fun!!!! LOLOLOL

Laura

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Wow! Great pics of that old Warbird. Bet it was fun riding in that.

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Laura,

love love love the photos!!!! LOL Thanks for sharing those pics and I'm incredibly jealous that you had the opportunity to ride that ride! One of only ten, wow...

Reminds me of my many visits to the Air Museum in Tucson, AZ (have you ever been there? It's wonderful.) over the nine years that I lived in Phoenix.

Good for you, Laura! Thanks for sharing those photos and also for telling the legend of the Saigon Moon! Hahaha you know what I mean...mystique factor is cool...

G

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow Laura,

Saigon Moon is beautiful!! I loved hearing the story too. I am always in awe of your plumerias. Thank you for sharing your beauty!

• nativec
    11 years ago

Hi Laura!

Thank you for measuring that bloom! Wow!

Yay! Yay! Yay! that Dad-to-be made it home, equally as wonderful that your daughter wants you in the room.

Lastly, I am green with envy that you had a chance to take a "ride". That is something I would totally do! Surely a one in a lifetime opportunity. I loved the photos!!!

Take care,

Nicole

• pcput
    11 years ago

Yeaaaa Laura, your "little prince" will be here soon. You will be able to teach him his colors by naming the color of your blooms. Can't wait to see pics !!!
    I bet the ride in the plane was fun. Were you pulling the wheel chocks? Peg

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

So many exciting things going on for you, Laura! There is nothing like the birth of your first grandchild!

Hi Peg! I can see the little prince going to nursery school and asking his teacher if the red crayon is Hilo Beauty or Scott Pratt. :)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH