Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

OT a few of my flowerbeds

honeybunny2 Fox
11 years ago

No Clue, I have 13 flowerbeds, I have plumeria plants in 2 of them, here are a few pictures I took when I first got my camera.

Comments (10)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Just beautiful, Barbra!

Who does all the work? Not the mowing, but weeding and edging. That's a lot of work but so lovely!

What is the 3 trunk palm in the front bed?

Ohhhhhh.... I just put on my glasses and can see all the plumeria along the fence! Cute pupperoni, too!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Moonie we have the edging done every other Friday, as you can see that was not the week it was edged. The weeding is done by me, I wait untl Oct to weed, and will also expand my flowerbeds, and add new flowerbeds. Its too hot to do anything during the summer. I plan to extend the back flowerbed with the plumeria to have 3 diffrent levels of plants. Right now there are 2 levels with 36 plants. I want to put dwarf plants in the front row next spring. Those are all young 1 year old plumeria along the fence. Next year they will be 2 years old and I will plant in the ground, the new plants will go into pots. I forgot I also have some seedlings planted in my Mothers Day bed, which is behind where my dog is laying. That is the largest flowerbed I have, but I did not take a good picture of it, since I was just trying out my new camera. In Oct I will take pictures when all my plants are blooming. Barbra

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Barbra,

Great pics.
    Beautiful landscaping utilizng the oaks.
    I can just see you sitting in the late evening under the trees watching the humming birds and sun going down.
    Lonnie

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

If I could give you a high five right now I would. Your landscape is awesome!!!

Mike

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Moonie that palm tree is a pigmy palm tree, we had 3 and 4 stem ones all over our place. The freeze of Feb '11, we lost most of them. That small one you see use to have a 6 ft pogmy in that spot. You also see the small palm tree in front of that bed. We lost 3 25 ft royal palm trees, 3 Fox Tail and 2 Alexander Palms in that freeze. It took us a year to dig up dead trees. They wanted $1500 to dig up each tree.

So we dug each one up and pulled it out with 2500 Chev truck with 30 bags of 40lb dirt on the back. Used the dirt to fill in the holes. The roots are at least 5 ft long. Barbra

• jandey1
    11 years ago

I want to be your neighbor.

Beautiful use of the trees, as Lonnie says. Barbra, your hard work has paid off. What a wonderful place to retreat to relax!

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Barbra... I'm moving in with you. :)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jen, I put most of those beds in in 1996. In Nov 2003 we bought the house next door, and I put in 4 more beds then. I want more flowerbeds and a garden, but I have to wait until Gary retires in Dec. There is a funny story behind those flowerbeds. My husband swears that Jim Potts put those beds in for me, but I did it all by myself with my tiller. I just outlined them with garden hoses to get the shape I wanted, sprayed with roundup, then tilled in tons of mulch and cow manure. Put the bricks around them, and that is how easy it was to put in flowerbeds at the coast. He was mad at me at first, but now he likes them. I want more, but promised I would wait. It has been 9 years since I put in my last flowerbed. We will build our new house where the old house is. So I only have one flowerbed the entire right side of the house, I did not take a picture of it. When the new house is built, I will have flowerbeds all around it. The back of the house is full sun, so that will be a new plumeria bed. Barbra

• joanr
    11 years ago

Barbra,

Your place is absolutely beautiful. I love how you made your flowerbeds and I can appreciate all the hard work that went into making them. Just shoveling the mulch and manure to till it up is hard work. Then laying all those bricks! You are awesome.

I just love Rockport. We had friends that have a house in Key Largo but since their divorce we haven't been there much. Also had family living there but they since moved. I really miss Rockport. It is a very unique little town. We used to love going to all the little shops in town and finding all kinds of treasures there. We also went to the July 4 Art show they hosted each year. Loved it! And the fireworks over the water while sitting in your boat - absolutely amazing! Gosh that brings backs some wonderful memories. I really envy you having a house there. It is a beautiful place.

Joan

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. I love the Live Oaks also. They are pruned perfectly. For those not in Texas...The native Live Oak is one of the most desired trees to have on your land. People will buy real estate just because of the Oak Trees.

I think your plan to build additional levels for the plumerias is an excellent idea. Then start them in the beds and bare root over our short winters. My long term plan is similar to that.

As far as Gary...Anyone who drives a Z71 Chevy HD 4x4 and uses it to move heavy things is man's man. :)